Silver Line - Phase III / BRT in Boston

There's a road under 93 south, but there's no access road where it comes out of the portal. It looks like a pretty brief length to make it up and over.

There is an existing access road south of my proposed portal location. It crosses over the curved Turnpike ramps on an existing bridge that could be used for the busway. The elevation of that bridge is about the same elevation as Atlantic Ave, so it is likely that a busway portal emerging from under Atlantic Ave could ramp up to meet the bridge elevation.

Here's my proposal for connecting the SL Waterfront with the Green Line - the Essex Street Transitway. Benefits would include:

1) A major transit upgrade for the Silver Line Waterfront from underground bus to light rail
2) Direct connection to the Back Bay - an imperative for tourists, conventioneers and, of course, commuters
3) A major but cost-effective transit upgrade across downtown
4) A launching pad for a phased expansion of future extensions
5) Faster airport terminal access via new express bus from South Station (maybe one intermediate stop at Summer and D St)

esstreetjpg.jpg

Last edited:
I believe the silver line goes under Atlantic Wharf.

I also felt that the last plan for phase 3 of the silver line was to actually do what you are proposing, but all tunnel. The tunnel was to go as close to the Arlington St station as Charles St meeting a very wide existing tunnel under Boylston St beside the Public Garden. At this point they would 'run out of money' for the Charles St part of the tunnel and just add a connection to the green line one block way in that tunnel. I couldn't think of any other reason for such a twisted connection to the phase 2, Washington St, of the silver line.

Personal, and I live on Washington St, I would prefer that and then have the phase 3 silver line join the green line at Boylston St in an already existing tunnel. A new section of tunnel under the pike could then be built. Obviously I feel both sections of the silver line should be trolley. The more the seaport is built up, the more the business community will press for the phase 1 section to be converted to a trolley.

^ Yes, this is similar to the actual phase 3 plan with the important difference of 1) linking to the Green Line and 2) using a surface transitway to more realistically cover the distance rather than another cost-prohibitive and politically infeasible tunnel.

The Silver Li(n)e stations in my neck of the woods are now under construction for the heated enclosures.

I just read the Silver Line Bluebook usage report for 2010. It includes Spring 2009 data.

It mentions SL1, SL2, and SL5 routes, but also something called a "Shuttle"?

I'm lost as to what they mean by that.

Anyone? Is it still in use? Is it simply a bus? What's its purpose?

I just read the Silver Line Bluebook usage report for 2010. It includes Spring 2009 data.

South Station to Silver Line Way station maybe? That's the only shuttle involved in the Silver Line I have ever heard of running...

Yes, its still used, its on the official schedules even.

http://www.mbta.com/uploadedFiles/Documents/Schedules_and_Maps/Bus/routesilverwater(1).pdf

Additional Waterfront service:
Runs every 5 min. between
So. Station & Silver Line Way
during weekday peak periods

Not numbered. The buses just say 'Silver Line Way"

I have no idea what THIS means
WEEKDAY/SATURDAY NOTE (SL2):
Before noon, SL2 loops the Design Ctr.
on the outbound trip. After noon, SL2
makes the loop on the inbound trip.

From what I hear, they're a waste of money. It's still a bus, but they're $1million each.

I never knew parts of the Silver Line path had some half-decent (or slapdash?) segregation of the bus lanes from the road. I'm referring to those poles stuck up on the edge of the bus lane.

Also, I haven't seen other buses take advantage of the dedicated bus lanes.

And additionally, why doesn't SL4/5 offer a seamless transfer from the subways?

Re: Borders / 5 Cents Savings / Washington & School

A bit off topic but I think that I found a model for the SilverLine and the Seaport / Innnovation District that works:

Think of South Station as Harvard Sq. on the Red Line (back in the days of sign "Rapid Transit 8 minutes to Park St.)

Fanning out from Harvard were a number of electric buses that ran to North Cambridge, watertown, Belmont, Arlington, etc.

Today while the Red Line continues north to Alewife a number of buses including a few electric ones leave from two levels of Harvard

The easy to built SilverLine network (once the underground connection to Park St is abandoned as just PC hogwash) starts at South Station contnues to CourtHouse and then branches into 3 or 4 tunnels;
1) existing tunnel to WTC then SilverLine way to Airport, Marine Industrial Park, South Boston City Point
2) new tunnel to BCEC station continuing on the surface down Summer St. to ?
3) new tunnel to seaport sq. station continuing on the surface to ?

With 3 or 4 frequent routes coverning the region from the Channel to the boundaries of the existing South Boston neighborhoods there should be adequate service to support the next 2 decades of developmnent at far lower cost than some hypothetical extension of the Red Line

Re: Borders / 5 Cents Savings / Washington & School

new tunnel to BCEC?
new tunnel to Seaport Sq?

Best case scenario:

gBy6d.gif

^ Yes, this is similar to the actual phase 3 plan with the important difference of 1) linking to the Green Line and 2) using a surface transitway to more realistically cover the distance rather than another cost-prohibitive and politically infeasible tunnel.

Not going to happen without Big Dig scale investment as the old downtown Green Line central subway from Gov't Center to Copley is already pushing capacity and widening the Tremont tunnel is not feasible

Thus to fit more Green Line into the Central Subway you would need to dig a rougly parallel tunnel under the existing Central Subway

Much more reasonable is to declare the Silver Line to be the equivalent of the buses feeding Harvard on the Red Line

Most Silver Line buses would feed South Station through the existing Northern Avenue Tunnel some could feed South Station through tunnels into Court House from the Seaport Innovation District

Some Silver Line buses would feed Park St from the South and Southwest

^ Doesn't have to be the case if Tremont Street tunnel is also opened up for Green Line Washington Street to Dudley (current SL service). Then you would route some of the GL that would otherwise be in the central subway west of Boylston down to Dudley instead, freeing up capacity and allowing additional GL trains from the seaport to route through the central subway on their way west. Vice versa going east.

BTW they painted a lane in each direction of Washington thru the South End. Maybe this will help stop double parking.

BTW they painted a lane in each direction of Washington thru the South End. Maybe this will help stop double parking.

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

... that would require effort on the part of the BPD. Who would then try to pawn it off on the Transit Police who would claim it's not within viewing distance of their ad hoc Park St. SUV parking lot. Ultimately it would turn out that the street is part of the city, but the lanes themselves are inexplicably owned by MassDOT (enforcement by Staties), and the paint is somehow under the jurisdiction of the Steamship Authority, and it's private police force - which is the only one that can respond if a wheel is touching a white line.

However, if a curb-cut is blocked, then that's a MassPort problem.

In the end, the double-parked cars stay, and cited as why we can't have a street with a transit right-of-way.

/sarcasm

I'll never understand why the bus lanes weren't put directly against the curb with the parking lane moved as a buffer between the bus lane and the travel lanes.

Fagitabout Washington St. --- that is done the way it is --- there will neither be a Phase 3 in the nxxt 30 years nor will there be light rail

Any growth development of the Sikver Line will be refocused and linked to developments in the Seaport / Innovation District:

1) there is a demand driver for new ransit -- see the BcEC expansion document
2) there is reasonable access to do cut&cover tunnels without worrying about the traditional issues in the buiilt-up parts of Boston
3) assuming the BCEC and the accompanying new hotels get built in addition to the current plans for Seaport/Innovation Sq. and Fan Pier there will be about 10 B$ in private / government money going into buildings and surface infrastructure in South Boston in thenext 10 years

Oh, Silver Line bus line, I heart you.

Atlantic Cities has an article with a synopsis of BRT lines throughout the country, and their pro's and con's (emphasis, mine).

What We Can Learn from City Busways

Silver Line (Boston)

The Silver Line has two segments. One goes from Roxbury into downtown Boston along Washington Street, while the other travels from South Station to Logan Airport. Only the latter line, known as the Waterfront system, can really be considered a busway. Even that is a bit of a stretch. Of the route's 9 miles, only about 1 moves along a completely dedicated road — most of that through a tunnel. The average speed of the line is only 14 miles per hour; that's actually slower than the previous system, because the buses must switch from diesel to electric before entering the tunnel. Still ridership has been high: increasing roughly 98 percent over the previous bus system.

The passenger increase hasn't been enough to earn the Silver Line many friends. The line was incredibly expensive, costing roughly $619 million. Many groups — again, including the Sierra Club — lobbied then-governor Mitt Romney to shift the project to light rail. In October John C. Berg, a political science professor at Suffolk University in Boston, aired a few grievances about the Silver Line system: airport-bound buses don't all have luggage racks; the line as a whole lacks pre-board payment; police do a poor job keeping bus lanes clear.

"The community asked for light rail; they said no, but BRT is just as good," Berg writes. "What the community got was neither; it’s just a regular bus line with a fancy paint job." A third phase of the line, which would also travel along an underground busway, has failed to generate significant interest, given its estimated cost of $2.1 billion.

Back