Skybridges: The Future of Cities

Re: Commuter Rail to New Hampshire?

Crap, my bad. I was moving stuff around, guess I switched the threads.

To get things back on track: I am actually a huge fan of gribble tubes. I've always loved hidden passageways and being able to traverse a city like this just seems so bad ass. I know that too many skybridges can damage the street life but when you have something like the Pru where there is no street life they really tie the urban fabric together in an interesting way. The Prudential arcades are just as much an urban street as Newbury St or Tremont St.

Re: Christian Science Church Center Renovation/ New Towers

edit: redundant, already addressed in thread

What we need is some high altitude gerbil tubes. Imagine traipsing around the Financial District from 20 stories up!

Kuala Lumpur got there first

cid_1136918245_Petronas_Towers01.jpg

^ I think maybe both were done in one of the Mission Impossible movies (forget which)

Well that's just one tube. I want dozens, connecting dozens of buildings. And many would have access to roof decks or mid-level terraces (as the case may be).

Well that's just one tube. I want dozens, connecting dozens of buildings. And many would have access to roof decks or mid-level terraces (as the case may be).

Henry -- are the Jetsons still on the air -- perhaps someone has some stored programs

I like tubes -- but they can't be gratuitous

You need a good reason to travel in a tube -- such as perhaps personal maglev

Minneapolis and Calgary have a whole downtown full of tubes and you can get lost in the maze if you are not careful when you return to an unfamiliar node

I guess I'm still not seeing the benefit of encouring their proliferation in an historic city such as Boston. Can someone please explain why they're better than engagement at the street level (the elements be damned)?

I agree that it may have made sense in the wasteland that was the railyards and at that time. But elsewhere in today's architectural and civic climate? I really hope not.

I like them where they are, and could reasonably support a modest expansion to take in nearby new (non-historic) development such as the Shaw's supermarket or the Back Bay Hilton. But no more than that.

I like them where they are, and could reasonably support a modest expansion to take in nearby new (non-historic) development such as the Shaw's supermarket or the Back Bay Hilton. But no more than that.

Ron -- what about in the blank slate of the SPID

Remember the moving side walk from South Station. For a while all new developments were told to allow for it in their plans.

Remember the moving side walk from South Station. For a while all new developments were told to allow for it in their plans.

Bos -- I think any addition associated with the BCEC should be coupled by a complete network of skybridges aka Gerbil Tubes

I envision the network floating above the BCEC roof interconnecting as many hotel rooms as possible and probably the World Trade Sliver Line Station

Re: Christian Science Church Center Renovation/ New Towers

So to recap and review:

The gerbil tubes work really well for the current building designs.

The current building designs are a shitshow. (In term of urbanity)

Well put Statler, well put. Portland (ME) has three or four tubes, and considered a few more over the years. The areas where they exist have awful street level vibrancy.

Back