Some People Leave Their Heart in San Francisco

EdMc

Reaction score
SFO's AirTrain provides year-round service 24 hours a day, with station departures as frequent as every four minutes. - flysfo.com
WkApfLsh.jpg

Salesforce Park, a public park, is seventy feet above Salesforce Transit Center
-salesforcetransitcenter.co
I’m a little incredulous as to how much vegetation can be planted on an elevated park. The variety is amazing, too, and according to the website includes, Australian Garden, Mediterranean Basin (the climate of San Francisco), Prehistoric Garden, Wetland Garden and more.
zKHUA7Wh.jpg

16lG5roh.jpg

181 Fremont has luxury condominiums
LBzjECyh.jpg

At 1,070 feet tall, Salesforce Tower is the tallest building in San Francisco and twelfth tallest in the United States - salesforcetower.com
Pelli Clarke Pelli Architects, the same firm that designed the new South Station Tower. Ownership, Boston Properties
W3OBeZEh.jpg

The black One Maritime Plaza building is framed by Embarcadero Center. It’s website states that San Francisco is both a city and a county in and of itself. This 49 square mile area is home to 865,000 residents and is the second most densely populated major city in America.
Wikipedia - built as the Alcoa Building and completed in 1964.
j1nEwUS.jpg

The floor pattern seen here is used on the sidewalks and elevated walkways throughout Embarcadero Center. Architect, John Portman.
5WnQvTih.jpg

qbBWJ16h.jpg

76j5NV3h.jpg

One Front Street
7uijhPTh.jpg

loyQ5W5h.jpg

gOeNgZ4h.jpg

William Pereira’s Transamerica Pyramid Building, completed in 1972, remained the tallest building in San Francisco until 2018 when the Salesforce Tower eclipsed its height. - Wikipedia
QozHklFh.jpg

101 California
PJ5fjqMh.jpg

Dragon’s Gate at Bush Street and Grant Avenue was dedicated in 1970 - TripAdvisor
PgAB02Vh.jpg

neVy2Wph.jpg

TK21IU4h.jpg

Z9m9sALh.jpg

n5K0qbMh.jpg

San Francisco’s City Hall
sfcityhallevents.org - this Beaux-Arts building originally opened in 1915 as a monument to the City Beautiful movement.
VASXlruh.jpg

On the upper half of this grand staircase stood actors Harrison Ford and Karen Allen in a scene at the end of the 1981 movie, Raiders of the Lost Ark.
Harrison said, “They don’t know what they’ve got there” and Karen responded, with a smile, “Well, I know what I’ve got here”. “Come on, I’ll buy you a drink”.
Pm7Gxkxh.jpg

sfcityhallevents.org - Stately elegance and exquisite architectural design make San Francisco City Hall a perfect venue for celebrating the most important occasions.
jlxqdcwh.jpg

d6LxyIyh.jpg

Golden Gate Park: Conservatory of Flowers
MZ0Qm4Gh.jpg

The Skywheel is a temporary attraction until 2025 for celebrating Golden Gate Park’s 150th-year anniversary (2020) - goldengatepark.com
In the distance is a familiar San Francisco landmark, the 977 ft Sutro Tower, a radio tower.
aUzvzEFh.jpg

zPoc5UKh.jpg

h5FFHERh.jpg

CALIFORNIA ACADEMY OF SCIENCES has an aquarium, planetarium,
rainforest and natural history museum - www.calacademy.org
66YT9sZh.jpg

yNId8GYh.jpg

A Redwood tree grove, California’s state tree
8Qwh6Z0h.jpg.

With its meticulous and tidy placement of vegetation, water features and pagoda this Japanese Tea Garden is a jewel worthy of many pictures. It is art in landscape architecture.
D2LIuZZh.jpg

hCgM7vOh.jpg

OLkV2x8h.jpg

Union Square, seen from the eighth floor outdoor patio of the Cheesecake Factory in Macy’s department store building.

TripAdvisor - Originally home to rallies supporting the Union Army in the Civil War, this grand square has become the city's premier shopping and entertainment district containing the largest number of upscale department stores, chic boutiques, art galleries and theaters in the city. If feeling the pulsating energy of the city is on your agenda, Union Square is the place to soak it in.

The square was filmed for the opening scene of the 1974 movie, The Conversation.
PJPHasqh.jpg

The corner of Clay Street and Taylor Street is a film location for the 1968 movie “Bullitt” where San Francisco cop Frank Bullitt, portrayed by Steve McQueen, fist-pops a newspaper box to get a newspaper and looks around sheepishly. He then goes in to that small convenience store. The Transamerica Pyramid didn’t appear until four years later.

The movie has a famous car chase that lasts ten minutes and fifty-three seconds on the streets of San Francisco - Internet Movie Database.
AHHeNrKh.jpg

555 California Street, formerly the world headquarters of the Bank of America, is a 52-story, 779 ft skyscraper that was completed in 1969 - Wikipedia
s1BmeYyh.jpg

RoadsideAmerica.com - There is an eight-foot-tall bronze statue of Tony Bennett outside the front entrance of the Fairmont Hotel. It commemorates the fact that he first sang, "I Left My Heart in San Francisco“, in the hotel's Venetian Room. That was in 1961.
Yo7L0kTh.jpg

The steps of Grace Cathedral on Nob Hill was also a film location for Bullitt.
oj3fdYEh.jpg

The Mark Hopkins Hotel was dedicated in 1926 on Nob Hill and is located at the highest point of downtown San Francisco.

The Top of the Mark is a penthouse level bar located on the nineteenth floor.
During World War II, when San Francisco was a major transit point for troops going to the Pacific Theater, servicemen traditionally had a farewell drink before shipping out while watching the sun set over the Golden Gate Bridge.[6][7] The northwest corner was known as "Weeper's Corner" after the wives and girlfriends who would gather there for their final look at departing ships.[8] - Wikipedia
LPuSv9Rh.jpg

“Where little cable cars climb halfway to the stars” on California Street.
EhSOgrph.jpg.

Last edited:
Stockton Street Tunnel
VPv10S8h.jpg

Art Deco lobby of 450 Sutter Street, a medical / professional building. - 450Sutter.com
4DH4vHch.jpg

A ceiling in the downtown Neiman Marcus department store.
0CHVIO3h.jpg

San Francisco is a treasure trove of interesting buildings.
en.wikipedia.org - As of February 2019, the city has designated 288 structures or other properties as San Francisco Designated Landmarks.[1]
T8BYHsyh.jpg

m5Dfs3Vh.jpg

EIN842Qh.jpg

aMDpJk0h.jpg

oWi8wSYh.jpg

NjQFg7Uh.jpg

uccT4ceh.jpg

Pier 39 is very popular with tourists and locals.
LkPCzS4h.jpg

Do83Xalh.jpg

What a lineup of notable skyliners.
jZVhLm0h.jpg

Sometimes, sea lions cram several floats at the end of Pier 39. Not so much on this day.
Lb4YbqFh.jpg

Alcatraz Island, located in San Francisco Bay and the site of a former federal prison, is an attraction managed by the National Park Service. - Wikipedia
LZEzLwzh.jpg

BART’s (Bay Area Rapid Transit) 10-car subway trains rolling into a station are an impressive sight.
dbYWoJah.jpg

Cable cars weren’t operating due to COVID-19 restrictions in June, 2021, but I was fortunate to pass by this static display at Powell St and Market St.
4Hr1W0Uh.jpg

Haven’t yet made it to the Kennebunkport, Maine trolley museum? Forgetaboutit.
San Francisco’s F Line is an operating, historic streetcar line. You can catch a ride from downtown to Pier 39, as I did.

sfmta.com - Nine of the 1928 Milan, Italy cars are currently in service to Fisherman’s Wharf, and others will be ready for service in the future. Seventeen PCC streetcars are in regular F Line service (fourteen from Philadelphia and three from Muni (SF Municipal Railway). The cars are painted in the PCC colors of Muni and other transit agencies in the U.S. as their streamlined design is attractive, and they were quieter and more economical than earlier versions of streetcars, with better motors, controls, acceleration and braking.
1HGU5Djh.jpg

TkAPctBh.jpg

Muni runs light rail from downtown to Oracle Park.
mMAStSgh.jpg

Cupid’s Span, an artwork on the waterfront.
Nx84Gxeh.jpg

FL2fjWXh.jpg

Only approximately 12,000 fans were allowed into the ballpark due to COVID-19 restrictions and social distancing.
BPUKF1oh.jpg

San Francisco Bay is a terrific backdrop for the baseball park.
eD4iplPh.jpg

So is the Bay Bridge connecting Oakland with San Francisco.
zeoVZ72h.jpg

The landmark Ferry Building
S0RFDoDh.jpg

The San Francisco Chronicle Building
DcekcIxh.jpg

The Palace of Fine Arts
Originally built for the 1915 Panama-Pacific Exhibition - palaceoffinearts.com
bXVutJwh.jpg

A Beaux-Arts architectural beauty.
9I9gFJmh.jpg

Needs no introduction
pELlsP4h.jpg

m8aU3Qyh.jpg

j2detjWh.jpg

znVsOWyh.jpg

1v6SBgqh.jpg

gfsW3Xxh.jpg

TJkVqSOh.jpg

DyQiAT9h.jpg

CFYi5Ghh.jpg

Crissy Field was once an Army airfield and is now a recreational area - presidio.gov
nsJGG9yh.jpg

presidio.gov - The Presidio has served as a military reservation from its establishment in 1776 as Spain's northern-most outpost of colonial power in the New World. It was one of the longest-garrisoned posts in the country and the oldest installation in the American West.

The Presidio Trust manages the park in partnership with the National Park Service.
LCN5PK1h.jpg

xCc9Brnh.jpg

Bus #30 Stockton will take you from downtown to within striking distance of the Golden Gate Bridge. It currently terminates at the Sports Basement parking lot at Crissy Field. I rented an electric bike here to save walking a lot of distance to the bridge, The Palace of Fine Arts and the Presidio.
Nu8v6MEh.jpg

The bus has a stop at Washington Square from which you can walk to the Coit Tower on Telegraph Hill. The park is across the street from Sts. Peter and Paul Church.
RtDRsXsh.jpg

The last block on Filbert Street is steep
UOuzN75h.jpg

sfrecpark.org - It has been an emblem of San Francisco’s skyline since its completion in 1933 and is named for Lillie Hitchcock Coit, a wealthy eccentric, who left a substantial bequest “for the purpose of adding to the beauty of the city I have always loved.”

The murals inside the tower’s base were painted in 1934 by a group of artists employed by the Public Works of Art Project, a precursor to the Works Progress Administration (WPA), and depict life in California during the Depression.
6dfdHENh.jpg

jyAQIaLh.jpg

LPGrhc8h.jpg

Lady Gaga and Tony Bennett will celebrate a decade of friendship with a pair of special shows at Radio City Music Hall in August. The fellow native New Yorkers will hit the stage for One Last Time: An Evening With Tony Bennett and Lady Gaga, which will take place on Aug. 3rd — Bennett’s 95th birthday — and Aug. 5th.

Bennett’s family announced earlier this year that the 18-time Grammy winner was diagnosed with age-related dementia in 2016
-msn.com, July 19, 2021

His career was the impetus for my posting this thread. His signature song will be forever linked to the city of San Francisco.

Footnote on, “I Left My Heart in San Francisco”:
Tony won a 1962 Grammy Award for BEST SOLO VOCAL PERFORMANCE, MALE
and another Grammy for RECORD OF THE YEAR

Extras:
vjOBZ8Dh.jpg

x8g6wPIh.jpg

1fMaLZVh.jpg

Cas4B4ah.jpg

ndP56uTh.jpg

3LcTvewh.jpg

rQ4d340h.jpg

23h98Pwh.jpg

pDEYPQmh.jpg

F61lLN9h.jpg

3tU7tHJh.jpg

2E1Ghbdh.jpg

GSwCEx7h.jpg

Last edited:
Fantastic! Captured many of the things I have long loved about San Francisco, and acquainted me with many new features I've yet to experience. Makes me realize that it's been too long since I've visited.

Henry, thanks. I always enjoy reading your comments. With the Bay and hills, and dry, cool and sunny summer weather, San Francisco has an enviable location.

Beeline, I assume you replaced the url tag for the video with a MEDIA tag. It eliminated the clutter of comments and an ad. If you did make the switch, thanks. Can you also tell me why the view count on this post does not increment with each viewing.
I was not involved. Really not very tech savy. Suggest maybe Skyrisecities can addressed your issue.

Back