South Boston Heliport

I apologize, I haven't been up on my blue mass group book list lately.

Hey, Bos77 got it right, ding ding ding, we have a winner! Perhaps I went a little overboard in my earlier statements of the neighborhood being of little value. I should have prefaced that with it being of little monetary value which tends to be my means of assessing overall value. Seriously though these people live far enough from the heliport itself that noise should be of little concern.

I still think it's too far away (1/2 mile) from anything residential to matter. And, being in the flight path from Logan - that's a good reason to have it here, not a bad one. And, parts of downtown do have to deal with heliports - those who live in the West End, due to MGH, and those in Chinatown / Midtown, from Tufts Medical Center.

I guess we've exhausted that line of conversation, though.

But hospital heliports are for people who need immediate medical attention, not for people with more money than common sense.

I'm not sure if it was a full-fledged "heliport", but there used to--and may still--be a place off A St. in S. Boston where helicopters pretty frequently took off and landed.

As far as this new proposal, I think the closest residents would be those of Park Lane in the Seaport. The traditional neighborhood that people usually refer to when they speak of South Boston is pretty insulated from the Seaport by a fairly substantial industrial belt.

And this is beside the point, but I just don't think it's accurate to say that that neighborhood's real estate is of little financial value.

I guess that old heliport has been gone since '99.

From The Globe:

Flaherty tries to drum up noise on heliport

Says BRA favoring wealthy over residents

By Stephanie Ebbert Globe Staff / June 7, 2008

Councilor Michael Flaherty is trying to stir up an old-school South Boston battle against city planners, who invited companies to develop plans for a heliport on the waterfront before holding public meetings on it.

1212827607_2161.gif

Flaherty - who has mayoral aspirations - has organized a community meeting on Monday night at the James F. Condon Elementary School, where neighborhood residents are expected to pepper Boston Redevelopment Authority officials with questions about helicopters hovering over their neighborhood. Flaherty contends the agency is trying to meet the needs of corporate travelers at the expense of neighborhood residents.

"The only special interest should be the public's interest," he said. "Instead of rolling out the red carpet for the wealthy and the elite, we should be rolling out the welcome mat for all Bostonians."

But BRA officials said they will have few answers to offer on Monday night because the politicians are jumping the gun. They protested that they had every intention of launching an open community process - once they had identified a company that could develop a feasible plan to present to the public. Though the agency's planning director will attend the meeting on Monday night, he will not be able to answer the inevitable questions, such as how many trips the heliport would be expected to generate daily.
That information will be provided by the company after it is formally selected. Though the BRA has identified its favored candidate, Air Pegasus, the company has to lay out specific plans for how it would operate a heliport there.

Air Pegasus' New York City heliport, which has operated at 30th Street since 1980, is one of the busiest urban heliports in the world, offering service 24 hours a day, seven days a week, the company said in its filing with the BRA.

In a brief phone interview, Steven L. Trenk, manager of Air Pegasus, said he also envisions running a sightseeing service from a South Boston heliport.

"I think there's significant demand. We're very excited about creating a world-class heliport there," Trenk said. "We're hopeful that we're going to be able to service the business community and tourism."

BRA officials say that there was once a heliport in South Boston, but it closed to make way for the construction of the Boston Convention & Exhibition Center.

"Since 1999, when we lost the heliport, it's something we have been studying to see if there's a need for the heliport and looking for a way to bring it back," said Jessica Shumaker, a spokeswoman for the BRA.
The proposed location for the heliport is off Summer Street in the 191-acre Marine Industrial Park, which is owned by an arm of the BRA and hosts seafood processing operations, the corporate headquarters of Legal Sea Foods, and dry dock facilities.

The BRA said business leaders have been asking for a heliport to secure more convenient travel in and out of the waterfront, which is home to many corporate headquarters and offices and has millions more square feet of office and retail space on the drawing boards. But the BRA maintained that the heliport would serve a public interest as well.

"I don't know whose special interests he's referring to," said Kairos Shen, the BRA's director of planning, regarding Flaherty's charges. "We all indirectly benefit from the ability for us to have Medflights. I think we all appreciate the fact that the helicopters that cover traffic give us information that's all useful."

Massachusetts has 90 helipads, including 18 at hospitals, where helicopters can land, according to the Massachusetts Aeronautical Commission. The state has 10 heliports, including one at Boston Medical Center, where helicopters can refuel or receive maintenance. One is at Logan International Airport, but only five helicopters a week land there, airport officials said. Heliport proponents say it would be more convenient to land in the Seaport, bypassing Logan's air traffic restrictions and refueling delays.

A South Boston heliport would allow helicopters to stop and refuel near the center of action and to transport business executives who do not want to tangle with traveling in and out of Logan.

State Senator Jack Hart, a South Boston Democrat, said he has not heard of any demand from businesses or developers for a heliport, but would listen to the BRA's presentation.

"I don't dismiss anything out of hand but I have grave concerns about something like this going in down there without a process," he said, "and the concept of expanding Logan Airport over to the South Boston waterfront."

Michael Tyrrell of the Fort Point Neighborhood Association said he is reserving judgment until hearing the plans Monday, but he suspects there would be better locations, farther from developed neighborhoods. "We already have enough aircraft buzzing the neighborhood at the crack of dawn. It's a quality of life issue," Tyrrell said. "If they're proposing to put a helipad that's a stone's throw from residential enclaves, I think they ought to reexamine that. Why not at the tip of the pier?"
dingbat_story_end_icon.gif

LINK

My only opinion is that Flaherty is just a typical politician and as such probably has no idea what he is talking about.

... Boston also has plans for a new heliport and the BRA is granting tentative designation to the Trenk Family LLC for its Air Pegaus operation to explore the proposition. The current plan calls for a heliport to be placed on Parcel C-2 of the Boston Marine Industrial Park on the South Boston waterfront. Ideally, the heliport will be used for tourism, medical flights, the film and movie industry and additional transportation options for some of the city's employers. There are currently no alternate sites for the heliport, as the company undergoes a community review process to consider flights per day and routes, types and sizes of helicopters, sound levels, required permits and operational safety.

The property in the BMIP was used temporarily for this purpose during the 2004 Democratic convention held in Boston, which played into its site selection process, according to the city. Boston previously had a public heliport on the South Boston waterfront that was closed in 1999 for the construction of the Boston Convention & Exhibition Center. Air Pegasus operates the Air Pegasus heliport in New York City, as well as tour services in Boulder City, CO; Las Vegas; and St. Louis ...

Source: BRA Board Approves Slew of Projects (last paragraphs) - By Ryan Clark, GlobeSt.com (guess Joe Clements is gone?)

Menino retreats on plan for waterfront heliport

By John C. Drake
Globe Staff / September 16, 2008

Mayor Thomas M. Menino is backing off a push to build a heliport on the South Boston Waterfront, a proposal that was picking up increased neighborhood opposition ahead of a planned community meeting scheduled for tomorrow.

Menino spokeswoman Dorothy Joyce said the city will instead begin talks with the Massachusetts Port Authority and Governor Deval Patrick's office about lifting some of the restrictions on helicopter flights at Logan Airport.

The mayor backed off the plan to locate the heliport off Summer Street in the 191-acre Marine Industrial park after state Senator Jack Hart told him in a private meeting yesterday that he would publicly oppose the plan at the community gathering, Hart and Joyce said.

"I don't know if this thing was thought through comprehensively," Hart said in a telephone interview last night, ticking off concerns about the proposed location, including increased noise and air pollution in the neighborhood and its proximity to the South Boston cruise ship terminal. "I suggested to him this morning this thing was not going to fly," he said.

The proposed site was used as a temporary helicopter landing spot during the Democratic National Convention in 2004.

Joyce said Menino still believes that an additional heliport is needed to allow for quicker medical flights and private transportation. She said that, at Hart's suggestion, city officials will pursue increasing access for helicopters at Logan, including a potential new helipad or refueling stop.

"The mayor is completely on board with looking at other options," Joyce said. "He hasn't changed his position that he believes a heliport is needed in the city of Boston."

Councilor at Large Michael Flaherty, who had been helping stoke opposition to the proposed heliport among South Boston community groups, said the mayor's backing off was a "direct result" of that neighborhood opposition.

He said community groups had collected more than 2,500 signatures on petitions opposing the location.

"This is a great lesson for the administration," said Flaherty, who may oppose Menino in next year's mayoral election. "My hope is that it creates a new standard citywide as it pertains to planning and development.

LINK

Back