South Boston Infill and Small Developments

If this level of development continues, it's a matter of time before some mid and high rises start going up along Dot Ave.

Having just read the Greenway Thread concerning the lottery for workforce housing, I'm curious about all these infill units in South Boston. Whether rental or condo, are these units affordable for a workforce family with two adults working or are they mostly professional level middle class and upper middle class housing?

It’s pretty insane how much small and medium sized developments have happened in Southie... I mean, gentrification and market forces and all that, but it’s just totally nuts how much has gone up... and since it’s mostly not highrise, you wouldn’t really know it unless you visited south boston... or followed on good old archboston.

Are you referring to the 1st and last pictures? Because you quoted the entire post.

I don't think the 1st one looks too bad, especially on that blank section of wall. The last one, the entire face of the building looks bad, but it will probably end up blocked by a building on the property in the foreground.

I have a friend who recently sold his place in the South End. He's looking for something of similar size or bigger, with parking, newer construction, and in the city. More and more places in South Boston are on his radar and checking off the boxes for what he's looking for. In my unprofessional opinion, it seems like a lot of the new residential construction in South Boston is tailored to these types of buyers (and renters) - have money to spend, priced out of other neighborhoods, and see a 'value' in the neighborhood.

Are you referring to the 1st and last pictures? Because you quoted the entire post.

I don't think the 1st one looks too bad, especially on that blank section of wall. The last one, the entire face of the building looks bad, but it will probably end up blocked by a building on the property in the foreground.

Oops. Last picture. And is is a side/rear so that should help. But the first is actually worse where the vents are on the bays. They should be on the main body of the building to make them as neutral as possible. I know this is a fact of life now, but doing everything as cheaply as possible is really having an impact on our built environment.

I have a friend who recently sold his place in the South End. He's looking for something of similar size or bigger, with parking, newer construction, and in the city. More and more places in South Boston are on his radar and checking off the boxes for what he's looking for. In my unprofessional opinion, it seems like a lot of the new residential construction in South Boston is tailored to these types of buyers (and renters) - have money to spend, priced out of other neighborhoods, and see a 'value' in the neighborhood.

Just make sure your friend pays close attention to fit, finish, and general quality of the newer construction places to make sure he sees the 'value' there. I had toured a number of brand new units all over west Southie last year mostly just for shits and giggles and was surprised to see how often build quality was lacking. It's probably what happens when everyone is trying to build as fast as possible at the same time and there are only so many qualified builders or actual craftsmen. Things looking good from afar, but woeful up-close was an overall theme.

I hope he finds a good one.

Just make sure your friend pays close attention to fit, finish, and general quality of the newer construction places to make sure he sees the 'value' there. I had toured a number of brand new units all over west Southie last year mostly just for shits and giggles and was surprised to see how often build quality was lacking. It's probably what happens when everyone is trying to build as fast as possible at the same time and there are only so many qualified builders or actual craftsmen. Things looking good from afar, but woeful up-close was an overall theme.

I hope he finds a good one.

+1

What sort of things would you look for? To the untrained eye new construction is always appealing, especially compared to the older existing stock. Most of the builders out there offer a 1 year warranty.

Back