South Boston Infill and Small Developments

Last edited:
Some things I noticed during my walk included the work being done to extend the Harbor Walk, around the sub station. The demo of a blue house next to the Playwright and conversion into a patio/food truck space. Also I noticed that the ghost trolly garge has been vacated (400 block E Second). I believe there is a project going through the process to replace it with housing.
IMG_6370 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr
IMG_6372 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr
IMG_6369 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr
IMG_6334 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr
IMG_6361 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr

Woof I dont think that one with arched window is going to age well. Looks like it was built in the 80's as is

Also Bee, that house next to Playwright was torn down I'm sure as a precursor to all of playwright building being torn down and replaced. There's a project already approved floating around somewhere. I believe Playwright will be coming back to occupy the retail in the new building whenever that may happen. Last summer Playwright had an excellent outdoor space behind the house, so I'm guessing they will milk that again thru the summer

Also Bee, that house next to Playwright was torn down I'm sure as a precursor to all of playwright building being torn down and replaced. There's a project already approved floating around somewhere. I believe Playwright will be coming back to occupy the retail in the new building whenever that may happen. Last summer Playwright had an excellent outdoor space behind the house, so I'm guessing they will milk that again thru the summer
Spot on. I had forgotten about this proposal.

2020-11-02-Project-Notification-Form_654-660-E-Broadway_rev-Design-Docs by Bos Beeline, on Flickr

The one on the corner in Andrew Sq is taking FOREVER. They have maybe 4-5 man crew working there. Feels like the city could police this somehow as these developers shouldnt be able to be under construction for 3 years for a small project

The one on the corner in Andrew Sq is taking FOREVER. They have maybe 4-5 man crew working there. Feels like the city could police this somehow as these developers shouldnt be able to be under construction for 3 years for a small project
Usually the incentive comes from not wanting to carry a construction loan longer than necessary. A construction loan has a higher interest rate than a conventional mortgage (usually can't get a takeout loan until you have C.O.'s and/or some percentage of the units sold). I wonder if in a low-interest environment that spread is lower so the incentive is lower.
As for the City, they do get to collect street occupancy permit fees, so to a certain extent the city is being compensated for the inconvenience of a longer construction duration.

I don't like the Broadway one, it's neo-pomo Tudor Wharf style

51233543189_bc00bc6b92_b.jpg

Beeline, is this and related images part of the Old Colony rebuild? Phase 3?

Back