South End BCA Plaza Re-Do

^ I take it you're not a fan of DS+R's re-do of Alice Tully Hall?

amenities that can only be used for a portion of the year

That's true for many things that we appreciate in Boston -- the Frog Pond skating rink, the Swan Boat pond in the Public Garden, the Hatch Shell, Christopher Columbus Park, the Fenway Victory Gardens, the Harborlights concert pavilion, even Fenway Park. However, the concern about durability of materials is legitimate.

The grassy knoll and the boardwalk are gimmicks. It will be gone in 10 years.

Is the grassy knoll to provide better view of the outdoor stage? It looks that way to me.

When Boston Landmarks Orchestra used to perform on the Parade Ground of Boston Common, people loved sitting on the hill further east in the Common and looking down at the performance.

Probably. But that Plaza is one of the most urban spots in the city. It ought to be urbane. I kept studying the plans looking for the windmill, lighthouse and castle.

FYI, the Courant reversed one of the images (or was provided with a reverse image ...).

The image in the newspaper of the guy sitting on the grassy knoll is inverted. If you look at the BCA's site, you'll see how it will look, when completed.

Does anyone know when the winner was actually announced? Was it this summer, or back in September 2006, as originally scheduled, and they are only mentioning it now because it's going to start construction?

Holy fucking shit.

About the new BCA tower:

PHASE II:

roof-top theater

for performing and cinematic arts
with observation deck

Wait, did the value of my property just go up or down? I'm going to be living across from Disneyland.

Christ.

What future have they planned for the cupola that functioned as a kiosk?

Does anyone know who is paying for this plaza development? If there is public money involved wouldn't this plaza be at the very bottom of a long list of projects. With Behive adding their outdoor seating this year all that needs to be done is some minor landscaping to better define the area.

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but we now have a plaza with 2 outdoor dining areas that draw people 6 to 7 days a week and we want to replace it with a performance plaza that at most hosts 2 to 3 events a week. Why would we want to do this?

What does this mean for Beehive??? That place is the best thing that's happened to Boston nightlife in a very long time.

I never see people eating outside at Beehive, or only in few numbers. Too damn hot, and an ugly layout of tables and a couple of umbrellas. Hammersley's, on the other hand, does it right.

However, both of those are private companies, for the benefit of a select few who can afford $29 chicken plates. A public park that has free performances can be used by everyone in the community is the BCA's goal, no doubt.

Even the idea of urban al fresco dining repulses me. Ever seen the crowd at Stella's try to ignore the streetscape around them? "I'll have the filet mignon, with gravel, please."

I still think y'all are being too pessimistic.

It's not obvious to me that this proposal won't work, but maybe I lack the perfect foresight of other board members. The materials can be treated to withstand Boston winters -- at any rate, the designers must have taken the climate into account. Besides, the design will go through further iterations, so some the empty "flash" (if that's what it is) may get cut out.

As far as I know, the SE has no outdoor performance space. If it's well-programed, this space could make the area more of a destination and compliment the neighborhood's many overpriced restaurants.

I still think y'all are being too pessimistic.

Maybe. At the end of the day, I expect better than what's been proposed.

The materials can be treated to withstand Boston winters -- at any rate, the designers must have taken the climate into account.

The proposed scheme's materials (i.e. the wooden boardwalk) do not enhance the space's functionality. With time (and given Boston's propensity to fail to properly maintain our public spaces) the materials will likely deter from the plaza's future usability.

Regarding climate -- take a look at the bus "shelter" at Kenmore. The T surely considered Boston's harsh winters and rainy months in their design. [/sarcasm]

As far as I know, the SE has no outdoor performance space.

I agree. Build something that's both functional and durable. What's proposed is clever -- Boston deserves smart.

Last edited:
I never see people eating outside at Beehive, or only in few numbers. Too damn hot, and an ugly layout of tables and a couple of umbrellas. Hammersley's, on the other hand, does it right.

However, both of those are private companies, for the benefit of a select few who can afford $29 chicken plates. A public park that has free performances can be used by everyone in the community is the BCA's goal, no doubt.

Even the idea of urban al fresco dining repulses me. Ever seen the crowd at Stella's try to ignore the streetscape around them? "I'll have the filet mignon, with gravel, please."

I agree Hamersley?s outside sitting is the better of the two, but a little landscaping to help define Beehive?s area is all that is needed. Beehive is only using the outdoor seating for drinks and maybe the bar menu. I think they are trying for the Parisian cafe style.

And I can't blame Stella for ignoring the neighbors. Across the street is Cathedral Housing and next door is parking and the loading dock for the elementary school. They are an Oasis on probably the worst block of Washington Street in the South End.

Ha ha ha!

I received a voicemail from someone on Tuesday after this thread began and after I posted the developer's renderings on my blog. He seemed frantic that people were talking about the "movie theater" as if it was going to actually happen.

I just got off the phone with him; he's the Director of Development for the BCA. The renderings are out-of-date, there will be no movie theater, at least according to him.

And, the Boston Courant is way behind the ball on this one; the developer was chosen a couple years ago, there is no new news.

Well, except that the BCA still has no timeline established for renovation of the plaza. It is a "couple years" down the road, according to him. The organization is now focused on other things, including stabilization of the building's foundation (they just received a $400,000 grant from the Commonwealth).

So, there'll be no "Titanic" appearing on a screen near you.

Thank god, now back to the roof deck.

Jimbo...

I usually enjoy your posts...often funny and clearly from the mind of someone who has a good grasp of urban development. But once again I am flummoxed. You are "repulsed" by al fresco urban dining and "disgusted" by children playing in waterfountains...what other urban joy do you abhor? Ice Cream vendors in the park, the streetscene outside Fenway park? Is this some kind of compulsion for cleanliness? It's the CITY, not a surgery room.

As far as I know, the SE has no outdoor performance space. If it's well-programed, this space could make the area more of a destination and compliment the neighborhood's many overpriced restaurants.

Does the SE *need* an outdoor performance space... particularly one abutting a busy thoroughfare that acts as a primary car and bus traffic corridor from Mass Ave to the Herald Street area?

Personally, I think a better use of the space would be to make it a public meeting and relaxation spot, a quiet oasis and a nice place to sit on a warm evening while waiting for an event at the Cyclorama or the BCA. Depending on the design, it could still get some use in all but the coldest 2 months of the year. They should make it all one level area, cover it in red brick with an inlay pattern of some sort, plant two rows of shade trees, put in some large pots of shade-tolerant flowers, maybe a small bubbling water feature and add some benches and cafe tables. Allow Hammersley's and Beehive to exapnd their al fresco dining areas and provide seating near the front of the BCA. It may not be as "exciting" as some sloped landscape for the arts, but people would use it.

Titus Sparrow Park, O'Day Park, and the Plaza Betances are all used for outdoor music shows at various times during the summer.

Back