South End Infill and Small Developments

The permanent vacancies at the low rent tax payer across Washington slightly towards downtown points to the fact that these dumpy spaces are not exactly what is in demand right now.

No, that's not obviously what that means at all. When a "dumpy" structure has vacancy for an extended period, there are several other prominent themes that could be at play (and I would argue are more likely to be at play): 1) the owner of the building is considering selling sometime soon and doesn't want unfavorable long-term leases, so they set the rent high at a lousy value given the state of the property intentionally; 2) the rent is indeed low, but the building has serious issues with a near-absentee landlord so no retail renter is going to touch it; 3) the building isn't even on the rental market because the owner is simply land-banking; 4) the building was recently sold and the new owner is just waiting for the remaining leases to expire and several retail slots remain vacant in the mean time; 5) someone is actually paying rent but not using the storefront (catering companies do this all the time; I know an auto repair shop that stores tires in an old sandwich shop and the front windows are ply-wooded over).

The Globe did a feature article a few years before the pandemic on Arlington Center regarding some of the example situations I outlined above:
Arlington Center has a vacancy problem

So, unless you know that the place is a) in reasonable safe operating condition, b) is actually on the rental market, c) the owner isn't intentionally trying to gouge or hold out, you do not actually know that there's no demand.

Last edited:
A shame that we apparently have to choose between more, denser housing and local, inexpensive restaurants.

Something is clearly wrong with the system if we can't have both.

Neighborhood change comes through the people, not the buildings.

It is true that [A] cheaper "townie" (for lack of a better term) retail establishments are being replaced by higher-end retail establishments across Greater Boston. It is also true that [B] certain "taxpayer" retail buildings are being replaced by denser mixed buildings in certain locations. But it is not true that [B] results in or causes [A].

We see [A] all the time in neighborhoods where there is no [B]. Look across Somerville (e.g., Davis Square and Union Square) or Cambridge (e.g., Harvard Square or Central Square) or Brookline (e.g., Coolidge Corner or Washington Square or Brookline Village) or JP (e.g., Center Street). All of these places have seen plenty of "gentrification" (again, for lack of a better term) of their retail environments in the current century but relatively little change to the physical buildings that actually house the retail. This is because physical change trails population change. The same socioeconomic dynamics that push out low-rent mom-and-pops in favor of higher-rent bougie places (and low-income people in favor of high-income people) also make real estate development profitable. But that real estate development itself does not price out the mom-and-pops. The entire YIMBY economic philosophy is that the expansion of physical supply in in-demand areas can actually forestall population turnover, while regulations that prevent the expansion of supply accelerate population turnover in existing supply.

The South End itself is a great example of this! The heart of the South End (think the area roughly bound by Columbus to the NW, Berkeley to the NE, Albany to the SE, and Mass Ave to the SW) has actually seen very little new construction in the last half-century. You can point to a handful of relatively small scale projects here and there, but walk down any random street in that neighborhood and the vast majority of buildings (especially the residential ones) are the same buildings that were there during the Reagan Administration (or the Coolidge Administration or even earlier, save for the post-war public housing developments). But the overall "vibe" of the neighborhood, the retail environment, and the population demographics look nothing like 30 years ago. The buildings didn't change, the people did. And those new fancy people (the “gentry”) brought with them tastes and budgets for new fancy retail. Resisting change in physical buildings isn't going to forestall demographic change when those new demographics are simply moving into the existing physical buildings.

I hate that cheaper local retail is being priced out of Boston, and I 100% would support policy changes tailored to address this. But preventing increases in physical density is not one of these policy changes. What we need are policies such as 1) inclusionary zoning for retail (like we have for residential) that requires a certain % of new space to be leased to local tenants at below-market rates, and 2) state-level liquor license reform that allows more permits to be sold across Boston at prices more affordable for low-volume / lower-price establishments.

Last edited:

It is true that [A] cheaper "townie" (for lack of a better term) retail establishments are being replaced by higher-end retail establishments across Greater Boston. It is also true that [B] certain "taxpayer" retail buildings are being replaced by denser mixed buildings in certain locations. But it is not true that [B] results in or causes [A].

We see [A] all the time in neighborhoods where there is no [B]. Look across Somerville (e.g., Davis Square and Union Square) or Cambridge (e.g., Harvard Square or Central Square) or Brookline (e.g., Coolidge Corner or Washington Square or Brookline Village) or JP (e.g., Center Street). All of these places have seen plenty of "gentrification" (again, for lack of a better term) of their retail environments in the current century but relatively little change to the physical buildings that actually house the retail. This is because physical change trails population change. The same socioeconomic dynamics that push out low-rent mom-and-pops in favor of higher-rent bougie places (and low-income people in favor of high-income people) also make real estate development profitable. But that real estate development itself does not price out the mom-and-pops. The entire YIMBY economic philosophy is that the expansion of physical supply in in-demand areas can actually forestall population turnover, while regulations that prevent the expansion of supply accelerate population turnover in existing supply.

The South End itself is a great example of this! The heart of the South End (think the area roughly bound by Columbus to the NW, Berkeley to the NE, Albany to the SE, and Mass Ave to the SW) has actually seen very little new construction in the last half-century. You can point to a handful of relatively small scale projects here and there, but walk down any random street in that neighborhood and the vast majority of buildings (especially the residential ones) are the same buildings that were there during the Reagan Administration (or the Coolidge Administration or even earlier, save for the post-war public housing developments). But the overall "vibe" of the neighborhood, the retail environment, and the population demographics look nothing like 30 years ago. The buildings didn't change, the people did. And those new fancy people (the “gentry”) brought with them tastes and budgets for new fancy retail. Resisting change in physical buildings isn't going to forestall demographic change when those new demographics are simply moving into the existing physical buildings.

I hate that cheaper local retail is being priced out of Boston, and I 100% would support policy changes tailored to address this. But preventing increases in physical density is not one of these policy changes. What we need are policies such as 1) inclusionary zoning for retail (like we have for residential) that requires a certain % of new space to be leased to local tenants at below-market rates, and 2) state-level liquor license reform that allows more permits to be sold across Boston at prices more affordable for low-volume / lower-price establishments.
The south end has been a historical district since 1973- your example is a very poor one. The physical space hasn't changed because it can't.-- for the most part outside of "taxpayer" buildings

The south end has been a historical district since 1973- your example is a very poor one. The physical space hasn't changed because it can't.-- for the most part outside of "taxpayer" buildings
Yeah, exactly.

The physical space hasn’t changed but everything else about the neighborhood has. Preventing that physical change doesn’t prevent change of the population and the demographics and the retail environment and everything else.

Yea I lived a block away from this for 5 years until recently as well- obviously I'm barking up the wrong tree on a message board full of pro development fanboys but someday people might want to wake up and see what is gradually taking place. The city is slowly becoming a soulless corporate hellscape and everyone is lulled to sleep.

Harry-O's- while no great shakes was a decent neighborhood pizza place that was doing fine- until the landlord doubled the rent. I'm sure the same goes with the 100+ year old Morse Fish. The Gallows probably suffered the same fate but cried COVID. Black Jack Pasta wasnt amazing but it was good cheap meal- I'm sure they couldnt survive the high rent. Who knows what will become of Union Park Pizza. -- and to boot if you read the South End Gazette or whatever it calls itself you will hear people crying about not having a "tuesday night meal spot". Yea "no one is gonna die" but if you want to stay in the city long term and don't make 250k- you might find yourself SOL to find a reasonably priced meal in the city.

The point is- while its not on one singular land owner to give away property and rents for pennies on the dollar- people in the city should take note of just about every mom and pop establishment in the city disappearing in front of our eyes and urge city officials to do something about it. We should be problem solving to set up funds to help these businesses that sew the city together. POC have been crying about it for decades and nobody listened to them- pretty soon its going to be all the rest of us.
Points well taken. If you think what happened to South End is bad, get ready for when 15,000 herbs move onto Dot Ave. and Morrissey Blvd. over the next 10 years. Germantown, it was wonderful to know you.
As an aside, my screen name is for the street along the Pike. It was my first place at 18 years old. I've lived in the neighborhood for 20 years now, and woah, yeah, things are bit different.

Last edited:
I am pretty sure what you are saying here is not what Suffolk83 is objecting to above. Suffolk doesn't appear to be attacking the notion of striving for optimal utilization of land; rather, at least how I read it, they're pushing back on (and critiquing the word choice of) the claim that no one wants "dumpy, seedy, low-rent commercial." There's multiple instances of potential miscommunication here. Underutilization and high retail vacancy in shiny, fancy new construction is NOT ideal...nor is only having 1-story structures in a dense city looking for more space utility. But, yes, I agree with Suffolk that there are likely a lot of people looking for cheap street level commercial real estate (and who want to patronize such); you can't just look at supply and demand on those cases, because powerful banks finance the fancy new buildings and then have the ability to intentionally keep retail slots vacant holding out for high rent. The power asymmetry there keeps the population's "voting with their feet" from indicating true individual demand for retail formats. Suffolk may be correct that there are a lot of people who want cheap rent for locally owned small businesses. (And you and others are probably also correct that 1-story structures aren't in the greater best interest here).
The demise of locally owned family business is never a good thing in the here and now, but it is a function of a capitalist economic system. The idea that "in the past it was better" ignores the reality that the present is a function of people in the past rationalizing opportunity costs and trying to better themselves. If a cheap place to eat in a rundown building was the desired outcome of society, it can/was/is easily replicated.
Short of a weird rent control for local business (good gracious what if your family owned the building also?!), this notion that we should preserve everything because "it worked" is a fallacy.
I ask: who among us would purchase that property and continue to operate an underperforming restaurant? Answer: nobody.

The demise of locally owned family business is never a good thing in the here and now, but it is a function of a capitalist economic system. The idea that "in the past it was better" ignores the reality that the present is a function of people in the past rationalizing opportunity costs and trying to better themselves...

This reminds me of a conversation I heard my retirement-age mother having with old friends: they were nostalgically lamenting the changes to their old close-knit blue collar neighborhood and its present day gentrification, then they realized that most of them sold their families' homes/businesses they inherited. Not only was the windfall hard to resist, but coordinating across sibling co-inheritors to agree on what to do with the property was pretty much impossible so they had to liquidate. This also reminds me when students protested the closure and sale of Denise's Ice Cream in Davis Sq (circa 2001?)...I heard secondhand that Denise herself kindly asked the crowd to please stand down, as she was in her 70s and just really wanted to retire.

All of this said, and to quote you: "The demise of locally owned family business is never a good thing in the here and now"

Points well taken. If you think what happened to South End is bad, get ready for when 15,000 herbs move onto Dot Ave. and Morrissey Blvd. over the next 10 years. Germantown, it was wonderful to know you.
As an aside, my screen name is for the street along the Pike. It was my first place at 18 years old. I've lived in the neighborhood for 20 years now, and woah, yeah, things are bit different.
Germantown? Like Quincy? This is why its pointless to try and have real conversations on here, everybody is a smartass and everything is intellectual dick measuring contest.

"The demise of locally owned family business is never a good thing in the here and now, but it is a function of a capitalist economic system. The idea that "in the past it was better" ignores the reality that the present is a function of people in the past rationalizing opportunity costs and trying to better themselves. If a cheap place to eat in a rundown building was the desired outcome of society, it can/was/is easily replicated.
Short of a weird rent control for local business (good gracious what if your family owned the building also?!), this notion that we should preserve everything because "it worked" is a fallacy.
I ask: who among us would purchase that property and continue to operate an underperforming restaurant? Answer: nobody. "

-Are ya gonna tell us to pull ourselves up by our bootstraps next?

That's a highly uppity comment, and incorrect

Actually, it was a highly democratic (not the political party) comment. Yours was to dictate taste to the neighborhood. What the poster wrote was to let the neighborhood and the supply/demand dictate, not from some “tastemaker”. Even though I too lament the disappearance of the mom and pop neighborhood type establishments, isnt it really the fault of the customers not supporting them at the same rate as the chains?

Last edited:
Actually, it was a highly democratic (not the political party) comment. Yours was to dictate taste to the neighborhood. What the poster wrote was to let the neighborhood and the supply/demand dictate, not from some “tastemaker”. Even though I too lament the disappearance of the mom and pop neighborhood type establishments, isnt it really the fault of the customers not supporting them at the same rate as the chains?

shmessy, due respect, but I think several of the posts above discuss how disappearance of mom & pops is not due strictly to lack of demand. That's not to say that demand doesn't matter, but it seems pretty clear there are also other factors at play that make it an imperfect democracy, to use your terminology.

Last edited:
The Market is literally not a democracy.

Shawmut-Dental-Anton-Grassl-Photography-Courtesy-of-SmithGroup-e1632514806141.png

“BOSTONShawmut Design and Construction announced it has completed a $115 million expansion and renovation of Boston University’s Henry M. Goldman School of Dental Medicine (GDSM). The project broke ground in early 2018 after a seven-year planning period and was completed in July 2021.”
https://bostonrealestatetimes.com/s...ys-henry-m-goldman-school-of-dental-medicine/

Haven’t really saw anyone posting about this project, but the elevator shafts look so unique compared to the usual, does anyone know why?
91530AB0-B15E-435B-8795-A41A6A7C2F54.jpeg

9E45F373-6947-44F0-919E-6400624B953D.jpeg

69CEAA1F-BAE5-4572-8384-2FF652B24C58.jpeg

4DFAE571-5F23-41BD-AFD5-5C1AB37E3FCC.jpeg

83731B0C-96E0-4045-99FA-35319379D1CD.jpeg

7D28DFDE-C970-4A2A-AC89-884B90B8ECF5.jpeg

E198AB41-FDC9-46CA-8D3E-76D014BB00DF.jpeg

Attachments

• 65B9728C-4378-4BCC-95AA-29D4BB8BA1FE.jpeg
    65B9728C-4378-4BCC-95AA-29D4BB8BA1FE.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 54
  • 4BB08D9E-C152-4F6E-853F-72A3394FE576.jpeg
    4BB08D9E-C152-4F6E-853F-72A3394FE576.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 72
^^ Prefabricated modular steel core, never seen anything like this around here before. It's strange that there is a mix of timber and steel beams on the first floor. This will be an interesting project to follow if they are going to do timber all the way up. Maybe we will see more of these instead of 5+1's

Haven’t really saw anyone posting about this project, but the elevator shafts look so unique compared to the usual, does anyone know why?View attachment 18113
View attachment 18114
View attachment 18117
View attachment 18118
View attachment 18119
View attachment 18120
View attachment 18121
These are a neat modular core formwork that saves a lot of construction time. Instead of building up each wall of formwork piece by piece, those containers are each a full floor that's stacked, rebar run through, then concrete poured down into (between 2 layers of the corrugated metal).

Back