South Harbor Project | Hanson Street | Lynn

Equilibria

Reaction score

1702592205720.png

1702592232504.png

1702592261599.png

Lynn has a waterfront?

The area north of Nahant, around Red Rock Park, is particularly attractive. There's a view of Boston from that park outcropping and other areas on that road, including continuing north into Swampscott or driving the strip to Nahant. The only issue is that the Lynn shoreline smells absolutely foul. You get used to it after a couple minutes, but still pretty gross.

1702619550419.png

I think it is super interesting that a major Boston developer is going to Lynn to build housing. Getting a project like this in Boston seems so impossible.
In what regard? Because similar projects in Boston have a significant lab/office component instead of all residential?

In what regard? Because similar projects in Boston have a significant lab/office component instead of all residential?
Yes, I don't think we've seen any really significant residential proposed outside of BHA properties. It's always about 3:1 lab to residential.

The area north of Nahant, around Red Rock Park, is particularly attractive. There's a view of Boston from that park outcropping and other areas on that road, including continuing north into Swampscott or driving the strip to Nahant. The only issue is that the Lynn shoreline smells absolutely foul. You get used to it after a couple minutes, but still pretty gross.

View attachment 45645
The Lynn shoreline only smells foul if the free-floating algal bloom in the bay is onshore, perhaps 20% of the time. That is most common on Lynn Beach, right around the Nahant rotary. I live on King's Beach near Red Rock Park, and we only see the algae 2-3 days per year.

The algae is trapped in the bay by the current circulation (been that way ever since the construction of the Nahant Causeway 180 years ago cut off tidal flushing). Coastal geoforming modifications have consequences.

King's Beach and Boston Skyline; Lynn Diamond Historic District along the seawall.
1702741576144.jpeg

Last edited:
This could be a very nice development with the addition of River Works as a full-time MBTA rail station. I also see there is a Starbucks across the street for getting your caffeine fix! LOL Seriously, this seems like a great potential development to me. I think Lynn has so much potential if it were served better by the MBTA.

1702846884693.png

I think it is super interesting that a major Boston developer is going to Lynn to build housing. Getting a project like this in Boston seems so impossible.
It's because Lynn has made it easier than almost anywhere else in the Boston metro to permit/build this. They don't have an inclusionary zoning requirement, and in this case they're offering a tax break to include inclusionary zoning and public/park space.

I wonder if the developer knows it's directly downwind from the trash burning wheelabrator plant though.

Yes, I don't think we've seen any really significant residential proposed outside of BHA properties. It's always about 3:1 lab to residential.

I'm not sure I agree with that, the BPDA page has plenty of large housing-only projects. Master-planned large sites have a lot of lab, yes, but that's not the lion's share of what Boston is permitting.

Back