South Station Tower | South Station Air Rights | Downtown

chrisbrat

Reaction score
it's got prominent setbacks. boston needs more setbacks. it's not a terrible tower, but that's the best i can say about it.

itchy

Reaction score
Turning South Station into a chair rail and wainscoting for a generic tower is disappointing.
Good point. This reminds me of 450 Lexington Ave in New York, which did something similar in the 80s with a similarly nice (though less prominent) old Beaux Arts building.

393b40

Reaction score
The tower isn't getting redesigned. Too many things in motion at this point.

shmessy

Reaction score
The tower isn't getting redesigned. Too many things in motion at this point.

That’s depressing. Lost opportunity to have done something special on an iconic location. A half hearted, personality-lacking and unimaginative bunt like Kenmore North. Like that location, this should have been a Statement Building. Something along the lines of the excellent and dynamic State Street HQ (but different). If ever a dramatic spire was perfect for a tower, this was the place.

In fact, both “polar stations” (North and South) should have been dramatically spired. Would have been beautiful and somewhat placemaking/urban/fun.

I can only imagine Dhz’s long shot skyline pics with the bookended spires recognized from afar as the major transpo terminals…..

Last edited:

FK4

Reaction score

That’s depressing. Lost opportunity to have done something special on an iconic location. A half hearted, personality-lacking and unimaginative bunt like Kenmore North. Like that location, this should have been a Statement Building. Something along the lines of the excellent and dynamic State Street HQ (but different). If ever a dramatic spire was perfect for a tower, this was the place.

In fact, both “polar stations” (North and South) should have been dramatically spired. Would have been beautiful and somewhat placemaking/urban/fun.

I can only imagine Dhz’s long shot skyline shots with the bookended spires recognized from afar as the major transpo terminals…..
It’s bland, and I agree with everything, but at least it’s glass. The absolute worst vantage of the city is coming in from the south on 93 — it’s just an ugly jumble of brick and cement and random stubby looking, tired old semi-skyscrapers. Something a bit shinier will draw the eye away from the drab, or so I hope.

RandomWalk

Reaction score
The Fidelity HQ building should have been dropped when Stone and Webster vacated a few years back. Use the opportunity to re-establish South Station’s complete street wall along Summer, and make a nice gateway into the future Post Office redevelopment.

mass88

Reaction score
It’s bland, and I agree with everything, but at least it’s glass. The absolute worst vantage of the city is coming in from the south on 93 — it’s just an ugly jumble of brick and cement and random stubby looking, tired old semi-skyscrapers. Something a bit shinier will draw the eye away from the drab, or so I hope.
Yep. It will stand up over time far better than a number of towers in downtown Boston.

chrisbrat

Reaction score
Yep. It will stand up over time far better than a number of towers in downtown Boston.
sad, but oh so very true. i wish there was an obvious, economical way to undo/remove/reimagine one federal street and one beacon street. i'd put those two up against anything i've ever seen as the most aggressively ugly highrises ever.

KriterionBOS

Reaction score
MT is quite prominent coming in on 93 from the south and I'm guessing Winthrop Square will be also (its basically right next to MT). Of course SST will add another decent glass tower to that. Overall not terrible by any means.

rjacobs

Reaction score
According to the contractor's update email, the deep foundation work won't begin until October (rather than September, which had been the stated timeline that they sent out last month). Not a big deal, but I'll feel much better once those supports are in place so that a tower can actually rise above them.

Jahvon09

Reaction score
Why does it look so dark over the platforms Isn't there any lights there?!! Looks dark & creepy!!!

Last edited:

stick n move

Reaction score
MT is quite prominent coming in on 93 from the south and I'm guessing Winthrop Square will be also (its basically right next to MT). Of course SST will add another decent glass tower to that. Overall not terrible by any means.
Yea winthrop sq is going to be pretty prominent from the south.

Then add in SST and its going to be much improved.