South Station Tower | South Station Air Rights | Downtown

Looks like it's taking more steel to build this than it took to rebuild the World Trade Center in New York!! :eek:

Last edited:
I didn’t know that what is now Fidelity HQ was actually where the original South Station building continued. That section was apparently torn down and the land was sold…crazy.
Yeah, the same 1960s BRA urban renewal feeding frenzy that devoured the old West End and Scollay Square devoured a large chunk of South Station. Oddly enough, the Vietnam War is partly responsible for putting the brakes on demolishing ALL of South Station. JFK was assassinated, LBJ took over and escalated the Vietnam war, with a likewise reduction in urban renewal funds made worse by JFK no longer being around to champion renewal funds for Boston.
I think with today's sensibilities, at least the facade of the South Station building (that was demolished) would have been preserved with a facadectomy.

8034DE42-8784-4789-9501-32D094AE4715.jpeg

feels like that core is really movin'

Once the core gets started with rising, workers wait until it's like several feet in the air, then the steel gets stared rising. Usually, the core is just slightly ahead of the steel in some buildings u/c. :)

5/2/23 from Essex Street and the Harborwalk -- This tower will have the effect of extending the skyline from the Harborwalk in front of the Courthouse, which is cool as this has seemingly become the most popular photoshoot spot in Boston for engagement photos and every other type of photo imaginable.

20230502_192715.jpg
20230502_200617.jpg

Does anybody know the construction schedule... when they'll work on the interior of the arches/domes and the connecting structure over the Atlantic Avenue side of the train passenger platform? In addition to the building, I'm also interested the finished version of the train station, and when it will happen.

Does anybody know the construction schedule... when they'll work on the interior of the arches/domes and the connecting structure over the Atlantic Avenue side of the train passenger platform? In addition to the building, I'm also interested the finished version of the train station, and when it will happen.

This doesn't give exact calendar dates, but does provide broadstroke timeline.

Thanks. I still don't understand why there is apparently an open-air gap between the existing station building and the angle connecting structure between the new bus terminal and the tower. If it's for ventilation, it seems like there could be a better way to provide that. You can see what I'm talking about at :52 in the video.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-05-04 at 1.12.23 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-05-04 at 1.12.23 PM.png
    3 MB · Views: 102
Thanks. I still don't understand why there is apparently an open-air gap between the existing station building and the angle connecting structure between the new bus terminal and the tower. If it's for ventilation, it seems like there could be a better way to provide that. You can see what I'm talking about at :52 in the video.

It is a cheap way to (not) interface the dissimilar construction methods with varying thermal and vibration properties. The buildings did not need to be connected, so they are not. You avoid the cost of a complex floating interface.

It is a cheap way to (not) interface the dissimilar construction methods with varying thermal and vibration properties. The buildings did not need to be connected, so they are not. You avoid the cost of a complex floating interface.
I assumed it was value engineering. But it's ultimately poor planning. Even extending the connecting structure over the roof of the existing station by a few feet would keep the rain out. The truss is already there because of the tower. All they'd need to do is connect it a little further over. If the final product is as it looks in the video, people will get rained upon and the platform will get wet. They will have spent how many millions of dollars to end up with that?

I'm sure it will be a huge improvement over the previously uncovered tracks and platform, but why not complete the job?

Last edited:
Without getting into details for obvious reasons, it was really cool to look out my window this weekend and see the top of the core for the first time. Cannot wait to have a permanent view of this as it goes up over the next year or so.

Back