South Station Tower | South Station Air Rights | Downtown

IMG_9484.jpeg
IMG_9485.jpeg
Wow!

That this is a mixed use--resi and office means even more elevators and even larger core.
Correct. Although it should in theory start telescoping down as low zone elevators drop off, and then office elevators drop off. I'd expect on floor toilet rooms to be replaced with amenity spaces as well.

so oddly, the climber that's clearly visible in themissinglink's photos is missing as of this morning. I'm pretty confident that despite its new height, the crane is not tall enough to clear the eventual top of the core.

Everything starts above the 11th floor? Is there just dead space until that level? Where’s the parking?

Last edited:

Everything starts above the 11th floor? Is there just dead space until that level? Where’s the parking?
From the Globe article,
There are two additional phases to come — a residential or hotel building above the bus terminal expansion, and another 510,000 square feet of office and amenity space above the existing bus terminal. The three phases together are expected to add just under 2 million square feet of new space, along with 895 parking spaces.

Its not "dead space" below the 11th floor; its this: "Beyond the office and residential tower, the first phase of the South Station project includes an expanded bus terminal and an upgraded train concourse."

Architecture firm Pelli Clarke & Partners designed the glassy tower, whose 51 stories soar up from the classic facade of South Station.

Do we still drink for soar?

So it looks like the top will be illuminated similarly to Atlantic Wharf?

Thats a new render they included.
SWUOHVUYMFEMXGK3KRCDHM4STI.jpg

Heres a new interior render of the ritz residence.
LuxExpose-Ritz-Carlton-Residences_Boston_South_Station_Tower_2.jpg

https://luxexpose.com/first-look-at-the-ritz-carlton-residences-boston-south-station-tower/

Last edited:
Wow…so nice…then you take an elevator downstairs to south station lol.

I hope thy upgrade the concourse…grand central is so nice by comparison.

You're not wrong and an upgrade to South Station being nice for all travelers to enjoy, but this scenario is not unique.

If we consider the other three recent luxury towers in town, 1 Dalton, 1 Franklin and 115 Federal, their immediate exterior locales feature various flavors of urban grit: be it the functional/ BOH side of the Pru and back of CSC, DTX in general (including that lousy parking garage under 33 arch), and a tucked away corner of the FiDi (though in the third case the soon-to-be park in Winthrop Sq *might* differentiate on the western face of 115).

South Station was never built with the "grand hall" of places like Grand Central, Union Station, 30th Street Station. Not that it doesn't deserve an upgrade.
The historic North Station was much more "grand" by comparison.

Back