South Station Tower | South Station Air Rights | Downtown

They should install a giant spotlight on top so the NIMBY's don't complain about shadows.

They should install a giant spotlight on top so the NIMBY's don't complain about shadows.

:lol: That would be so cruel... and delightfully amusing.

I want to know the details of the 40 million dollars of transportation improvement going into South Station as a result of this. Does it have to do with the 5 new tracks talked about in the above link from justin?

castevens said:
I want to know the details of the 40 million dollars of transportation improvement going into South Station as a result of this. Does it have to do with the 5 new tracks talked about in the above link from justin?

There was story somewhere this week but I can't find it today. I think it said they will enlarge the bus station, put in new ventalation, upgrade the tracks and signals, do some restoration to the interior of the station...it sounded like a lot of good and needed upgrades.

Hmm, I wonder if it will be huge noticable changes or just 40 million dollars of needed stuff that few will ever notice the difference? Either way it is good, I just want to know (aka see renderings :) )

They will substantially increase the number of bus gates. People will notice that.

Whoa! I like the South Station Tower, especially over a train station. Jealous I am, wish that would happen here in Chicago.

yumpt said:
Whoa! I like the South Station Tower, especially over a train station. Jealous I am, wish that would happen here in Chicago.
Oh come on! This must be a joke. Somebody from Chicago is jealous of Boston Architecture? :? :)

Yes. It's a pretty cool idea. And I have to say, some of the buildings that have been proposed recently are pretty damn good. If they get built, or not, is another question.

yumpt said:

Trade 'ya!

1122470131-1.jpeg

unicorn

that must have been one hell of a big unicorn

i personally don't love it. call me crazy, but I like buildings that actually look like buildings.

Having said that, its sheer size will be astounding in person, even in a city of giants like Chicago.

I have a feeling the finished product will look much better than that rendering...

aws129 said:
^Ugly. They'd better do some refining.

Are you being sarcastic?

Not in the least. It looks too much like they photoshopped a drill bit into the skyline, and the detached spire makes it look less slender than it should be. I'm sure Calatrava can design a nice-looking building with spiral undulations on the facade. This just isn't it (yet?).

justin

I think it needs to be a lil bit fatter and they have to get rid of the spire. It's hideous.

Back