South Station Tower | South Station Air Rights | Downtown

Re: South Station Tower

You left out ... "while traveling in your own personal dining car ..."

SS hotel would seem like a no-brainer, particularly since train service doesn't run 24 hr.
Short term hotel would make the most sense, and affordable. Not the la-di-da one mentioned above.

I love taking the train, but getting there for my 5:45 departure pretty much sucks. Leaving my hotel room at 5:35 to get on the 5:45 however sounds much more agreeable. Also, with silver line access to the airport.... you can see why this should be a no-brainer.

I am having a hard time trying to understand how 1000 rooms across from the BEC correlates to a hotel above South Station. Totally different audiences, and I wouldn't think that 1 would significantly affect the other.

I am very eager to see how this is going to change the overall design of the complex, especially the tower.

This thing was approved 6 years ago BTW.

^so would anything in the new administration need to be done to get this going or is it all on Hines?

After a refresher on what was originally planned, I had forgotten that the residential and hotel components were in their own buildings.

http://www.hines.com/property/detail.aspx?id=144

So this would indicate that one of the following would happen:
1) Hotel building disappears; Residential building gets bigger.
2) Residential expands out to the 2 planned buildings.

Regarding the office space/tower, they will most likely scale the 49 floors down to a lesser number given that they are looking to reduce the office space :-( :-( :-(

SS hotel would seem like a no-brainer, particularly since train service doesn't run 24 hr.
Short term hotel would make the most sense, and affordable. Not the la-di-da one mentioned above.

I love taking the train, but getting there for my 5:45 departure pretty much sucks. Leaving my hotel room at 5:35 to get on the 5:45 however sounds much more agreeable. Also, with silver line access to the airport.... you can see why this should be a no-brainer.

Seamus -- you can have your Guest Quarters or other mid-priced hotel as part of the complex

The La-di-da -- or as I would call it the Hub Tower Suites -- is premised on the unique opportunity presented by the South Station Tower -- there can only be one Hotel with those views -- every direction is good or great from a point 600 to 800 feet above South Station

Where does this 2nd building go exactly? Also where (and WHY) does the 750 car garage go?

I assume this does not impact any SS expansion. Is there any way it could accelerate/support it?

From the Hines website:

The South Station development will consist of the completion of the South Station Transportation Center at the lower levels of the project, plus the addition of a 49-story, 980,000-square-foot office tower, a 190-room hotel, a 155-unit residential condominium building, a nine-story, 500,000-square-foot office building, and parking for approximately 755 cars.

9 stories for 500,000 square feet?!? Why the landscraper next to the tower? Maybe it is over the tracks and there is a cost impediment to going taller?

Also, I don't hate the parking garage if it is super accessible from the interstates. It may not actually put all that many cars on local roads. And maybe long-term parking is a boon to Amtrak.

^Ahhh, I totally missed/forgot about the9 story building. That's probably the element of office space that is disappearing. Thanks!

755 space parking garage has a terrible opportunity cost. You can build a parking garage anywhere. How many places can you build South Station-adjacent offices/hotel/residences/retail?

Last edited:

^probably 300 rental units.

^Nope. Hines is changing all rentals to condos.

Excuse me for not knowing a bloody thing, but can anyone tell me if the proposed construction will do anything to alleviate the problem of double-decker trains having to load and unload far from the station due to the low height of the garage?

Or am I remembering this wrong?

I think you're remembering wrong. The catenary wires are the limiting height - bilevels regularly come right up within a few feet of the bumper blocks at South Station (and at non-wired North Station as well).

From the Hines website:
9 stories for 500,000 square feet?!? Why the landscraper next to the tower? Maybe it is over the tracks and there is a cost impediment to going taller?

Could that be along the Dot. Ave. side, adjacent to the channel on the USPS property? That's always been pictured as about 9 stories tall.

From page 3 of the PDF:

The building will be up to 636 feet in height to the Top of the highest occupable floor and approximately 678 feet in height to the top of the glass roof feature enclosing the mechanical penthouse.

This is new to me- IIRC the height figure I saw get thrown around most of the time was 621'. If this is a change I am 100% okay with it.

^
200px-Dancing_Banana.gif

I hate to be a Debbie Downer, but this thing was approved 8 years ago.

I hate to be a Debbie Downer, but this thing was approved 8 years ago.

So that means construction should break ground any day now! Right? Right?....right?

Back