South Station Tower | South Station Air Rights | Downtown

Yeah, I didn't think the height reduction had anything to do with 'NIMBYS' complaining but instead because of the FAA's height restrictions.

Right, of course. I think that the statement in that article about it being "too tall" just got my blood flowing, thus directing all my usual hatred towards the NIMBYs. Thinking about it again, I want to change my mind and call this is a victory rather than a defeat. For a tower this close to Logan, the height is very impressive. Emporis has it listed as 680 to the top floor. So this could actually reach 690-700 feet, which is tall.

You guys are kind of influencing me a bit. I do like the glass design, and this is going to be awesome for the location. If they put a small spire on there afterall, this could be the coolest skyscraper ever... well, next to 111 Huntington at least :D And it could end up going over 700ft after all. Even in NY, that would be a noticeable building.

Emporis has it listed as 680 to the top floor. So this could actually reach 690-700 feet, which is tall.

Don't take that too seriously. I'm the one that put that there. :shock:

Even in NY, that would be a noticeable building.

True, but what I think is funny about the location of this building is that if you sneeze near a window in the South Station Tower, people from the 2nd and 6th tallest non-Back Bay buildings will say "bless you" because they are so close. As tall as it really is, and as much as it will stick out, it is smooshed in between two very tall buildings.

The only reason I even bring this up is because my view from my building from the south - I don't think I'll see much of this building behind One Financial Center.

(not that I am against this, AT ALL) :)

castevens said:
As tall as it really is, and as much as it will stick out, it is smooshed in between two very tall buildings.

The only reason I even bring this up is because my view from my building from the south - I don't think I'll see much of this building behind One Financial Center.

(not that I am against this, AT ALL) :)
But, walking from DTC to that area, one of the tings I notice first is how much distance there is between those two buildings. The plazas are huge. I don't think it will be too "smooshed" when I think of densely packed buildings I think of Arch Street down to the waterfront.

Yeah, it really is my angle. From my angle, the Prudential Tower and the John Hancock Tower are "smooshed" together, but when I come back from Rhode Island on Rt. 93 toward Beantown, I'm always in AWE at HOW far they are from each other. I realize how far they are, but it looks even further from Rt. 93.

It's all perspective, really.

I hope the align the axis of symmetry of the new tower with that of SS headhouse (from the rendering that appears to be the case).

Will their be any light and air coming down to the tracks with all the new development?

Will they rebuild that bland brown box that is now the interior of the SS waiting room?

Any idea about the layout of interior circulation for the new buildings? I imagine there will be a substantial concourse on top of the tracks, but would be curious to see the details of all the connections (street<->tower, bus<->train).

justin

I like the interior of the South Station waiting room as it is. It works well.

I'm not saying it works poorly, just that the brown box that houses it is strictly utilitarian and of no aesthetic value. I'd like something with more flair, in the style of good old European subway stations.

justin

According to the May-June 2006 edition of the Boston Informer, a reliable newsletter about Boston development, the South Station Tower as approved will be 678 feet tall, making it the third tallest building in Boston. I have no interest other than as a subscriber, but If you don't know about the newsletter or want to subscribe go to http://www.bostoninformer.com/index.html.

Is there any news on this project? Has a construction date been announced?

So SST and 115 will top off at about the same time?

justin

More visual goodness from the depths of City Hall (this isn't classified so much)

And for whoever it was who said SST is a fattie, they're right

bra8kl6.jpg

elevation looking west. The short orange block is a hotel, tall is residential, office to the left

bra6aj8.jpg

site plan with an inset of the true shape of SST at bottom

Wow, that looks like a completely different building than the first new rendering. It's all of a sudden really fat and the crown is completely different than what I imagined it was going to be. That original rendering made it look like a thin, sleek building...but now it's more of a chubby little runt. Still, I'd rather have it built than not built so I guess it's better than nothing.

This large but stout tower along with the tall and slim Winthrop Square tower will make the skyline much more meaty. I'd like to see them together in a rendering.

I'm surprised that anyone is surprised. It was wide from that angle in the first design too. And it's no wider than the FRB.

It's pretty much what i expected. The original rendering were from the slimmest angle anyway

Back