South Station Tower | South Station Air Rights | Downtown

Re: South Station Tower

Even the crown part of 111 Huntington was added AFTER construction started. It completes that building, I love it :)

I also love 111 Hunington! It gets a lot of shit from critics, which is unfair because nobody complains about the Harbor Towers, which are butt-ugly and sitting right on the water.

Nobody complains about the harbor towers? Since when?

Flipped the perspective and played around a bit. Only so much I can do in paint, but you get a general massing idea at least.

I think I accidentally showed that it would look better as stacked boxes than the hexagonal shape. It looks like the new comcast tower without the spire.

When is this officially under construction ?

They are supposed to start in January and the permitting expires in April so I actually think this one will happen soon. Maybe not in January but before April. If it doesn't happen before April i think they lose their permitting and go back to square one. They picked up a new investor and they mean business, so I think of all the major projects this one breaks ground next.

Excited for this to get started. Do we know if the design is final yet?

nice renders Stick!!

A year ago, many of us probably expected that Copley would be very close to rising by now, with SST probably years out.

Instead, we may be about to see a frankly, astonishing swap between SST and Copley Sq Tower.

SST could top out years before half a dozen other low skyscrapers rise.

Who saw that coming?

in the end, maybe both will still get done.

Last edited:

South Station office high-rise gets BRA?s OK
By Scott Van Voorhis
Wednesday, June 7, 2006

An $800 million skyscraper complex would soar into the Hub skyline above South Station under plans approved yesterday by City Hall.

After years of debate and reviews, Hines, a top Texas builder, won a green light from the Boston Redevelopment Authority for a new, 40-story office tower that would anchor an ambitious redevelopment of South Station.

David Perry, a top Hines executive, said he hopes to begin construction next year on the new tower, which would rise 680 feet into the air, with South Station in its shadow.

Hines, which is working with TUDC, an affiliate of Tufts University on the project, said ?conversations? are already under way with potential corporate tenants. A final sign-off by the city?s Zoning Commission is also needed next month.

?Now we have something to show,? Perry said, referring to planning on the project that dates to the late 1990s.

Along with a new tower, later phases call for a separate, a 13-story condo and hotel high-rise complex, as well as an additional nine-story office building. The developer has also committed to $40 million worth of improvements to South Station and its neighboring bus terminal, which is slated for a 40 percent increase in capacity.

The day of reckoning; December 15th BPDA Board meeting.

It's getting late early.

Scott Van Voorhis and "soar" - a real oldie but goodie.

The days of yore when towers didn't just take flight above the Pike, and High Spine, they soared above the nimby's most private windows, green spaces and theatres; and threatened to destroy every unique part of every one of us..... if only reason would prevail.

That's correct. Despite the recent design change; after the developer and architect team had their chance to defend the new design, i believe it should go forward.

For anyone who believes likewise, you should ALL come out and voice your support. :thumbup:

At long last, after all those arguments & bickering, just finally build the damn thing! Hah! :cool:

Assuming the BPDA moves this thing to the launchpad today....

....just finally build the damn thing! Hah! :cool:

i've been wondering the how part for some time.

Any takers?

developer is making their case for approval.........

Back