South Station Tower | South Station Air Rights | Downtown

Re: South Station Tower

The last one with the spire was my favorite.

Yes! That space and that context SCREAMS for a spire.

What the hell are some of the other renderings thinking?

Menino demanded and got hats on buildings when Boston wasn't nearly the hot chick she is today.

Time for Walsh to wake the hell up about how the city looks as much as he is motivated by union jobs.

Slapping the kid's head and saying "Show some respect and put on a g'damn hat!"

Yes! That space and that context SCREAMS for a spire.

What the hell are some of the other renderings thinking?

It can't go any higher. They'd have to cut down on the building to add a spire.

It can't go any higher. They'd have to cut down on the building to add a spire.

asking for real -- b/c you seem to know a good amount about the FAA stuff: so if this tower can't go any higher b/c of stuff relating to flight paths etc, could it still at this max height have an antenna on top? and if so, could it theoretically have an antenna of substance like the Pru's?

if yes to the above (if "no" then ignore here on out), then why does the FAA have a problem with "non functional" antennas (in other words, spires), but not with antennas that serve a purpose beyond aesthetic?

EDIT: I also think this would look really cool if it were only tapered on one side...like the face opposite the main station entrance, and non-tapered on the other 3 sides

asymmetrical!! yes, someone said that 200 posts back. :rolleyes:

The last one looks a lot like 1 Financial with a spire on top.

Yes, the lower tower is a fatty. Though not Orca fat like 1 Financial.

Last edited:

The top of the old rendering reminds me of a rounded Comcast Tower (Philadelphia), which I actually find to be somewhat elegant.

Or maybe it's just me ...

southstationtower.jpg

Philly_PSFS-Building-Billy-Penn+Comcast-bldg-top.jpg

I'm a big fan of the original design. I think it would have looked just as good as the millennium tower. The new design is ok.

These renderings are deceiving though, we'll never see it from that perspective unless you are in a building down Atlantic. I's like to see a street level view from down the greenway and one from the highway before the tunnel.

asking for real -- b/c you seem to know a good amount about the FAA stuff: so if this tower can't go any higher b/c of stuff relating to flight paths etc, could it still at this max height have an antenna on top? and if so, could it theoretically have an antenna of substance like the Pru's?

if yes to the above (if "no" then ignore here on out), then why does the FAA have a problem with "non functional" antennas (in other words, spires), but not with antennas that serve a purpose beyond aesthetic?

The short answer is no it couldn't have a substantial antenna because if it could then it could have a spire. From the perspective of the FAA there isn't much of a difference. I would be very surprised if the said no spire and then let an antenna of equal height be added. At least that is my understanding based on what I have seen.

These renderings are deceiving though, we'll never see it from that perspective unless you are in a building down Atlantic. I's like to see a street level view from down the greenway and one from the highway before the tunnel.

well we've already seen that, no?

85uVLgi.png

I haven't seen that one, thanks!

^^ That might be the tower's best angle. Rotating from here it either gets pretty darn fat or it shows off the inelegant setback.

Dont forget about this one too. IMO it looks good here.

5E_Harbor_View_Close_up_02.jpg

Heres one I made as well, its not perfect because I had to flip the perspective and mess with it a little but it gives u a good general idea. I think this shows it would looks better as a setback/stacked box tower vs this hexagonal thing they're doing. Looks more traditional but fresh as a stacked box design. Either way its going to give us more glass and more height in a very important location so Im all for it.

^^ That might be the tower's best angle. Rotating from here it either gets pretty darn fat or it shows off the inelegant setback.

The old design was much better. It was slender and elegant. This one looks like the Seagram Building after an earthquake.

The old design was much better. It was slender and elegant. This one looks like the Seagram Building after an earthquake.

The old design was as fat as the current design. The difference is that the new design is thinner up top--where smaller residential floorplates replace bigger office floorpates--while the old design had fat office plates all the way up.

There is also inconsistency in the current renders: the render from the angle such that the tower is behind the Moakley Courthouse shows a rounded "nose", while all other renders show the nose squared off.

Hopefully round is correct it looks good in that render.

edit: zoom in on tis

5E_Harbor_View_Close_up_02.jpg

and you can see the front facing you is not flat but slightly rounded. Seems all of the current renders are correct. Post 1429 shows the back of the tower to be flat and that shows in the above pic as well.

Last edited:

I hope Hines loses the rights.
South Station site needs to be a SYMBOL of Boston.
Something GRANDE---on this location.

Need something amazing---SST is a very complex scenario because of the Transit Hub--

Is there any local developers that have a better vision for this site not some billionaire who started his corporation down in Houston?

I would like to see type of old school Brick design for the bottom of the tower----

Last edited:

Back