South Station Tower | South Station Air Rights | Downtown

Re: South Station Tower

So there is really no ownership just a 98 year lease to operate the building?

How does that work after the 98 year lease runs out?

The state owns the building. If the lease actually runs out, the state re-lets it to someone else. If both parties agree, they could extend the lease prior to its termination.

Blackstone could be dumping the operating lease so cheaply because of future liability concerning this location. This and North station are prime spots for stupidity to happen so if you don't actually own the sites why even be liable for the area for being the operating manager.

Might be a smart play

Might as well just wait another 10 years

I think what is in the pipeline is what we are going to get---Anything new at this point is a overall risk especially with TRUMP firing off missiles at everybody.

The 5 developments that should have been done before the entire SEAPORT planning and closing off all that open space to the public.
#1 SST (SouthStation)
#2 Harbor Garage
#3 Winthrop Garage
#4 Congress Garage (WIP) Most likely--
#5 North Station (WIP) Should be done
Very disappointing that these 3 of the 5 centrally located sites all standing or walking distances to major transits lines remain undeveloped.
This concept alone shows the overall failure to address the located developable sites along transit against all the open space down at the Seaport without any real transportation access.

The BRA should have forced the garages to develop over the last 15 years with a plan to build a massive transit underground in that time to support a better overall access to the Seaport.

Don't forget about haymarket hotel...travesty that it's still barren.

Are we about to see a whole fleet of skyscrapers vaporized? i'm beginning to wonder if we've been had. ...Boston's great building cycle seems to be de-evolving before our eyes into the great infill/street activation cycle - which on it's own, isn't abjectly horrible.

but the lack of skyscrapers compared to the numbers proposed or approved; Are we supposed to call this cycle a victory? Things sure aren't looking nearly as promising as they did a year ago.

Still, judging from their semi-daily tirades, the Globe nimby's still ain't happy.... despite that in the end, they might successfully run out the clock on half a dozen skyscrapers....

Last edited:

You can click on twitter links without having an account.

blocked on my work computer. Works only intermittently on my phone, seems to depend on whether folks have linked to it or embedded it.

Might as well just wait another 10 years

Remember, they rushed the hell out of this to hit the deadline, and I think it was MassDOT's deadline. I wouldn't be surprised if they never expected to break ground before December.

Remember, they rushed the hell out of this to hit the deadline, and I think it was MassDOT's deadline. I wouldn't be surprised if they never expected to break ground before December.

Precisely... or God forbid, they're buying some extra time to sniff around and be sure.... about not building.....

I think what is in the pipeline is what we are going to get---Anything new at this point is a overall risk especially with TRUMP firing off missiles at everybody.

The 5 developments that should have been done before the entire SEAPORT planning and closing off all that open space to the public.
#1 SST (SouthStation)
#2 Harbor Garage
#3 Winthrop Garage
#4 Congress Garage (WIP) Most likely--
#5 North Station (WIP) Should be done
Very disappointing that these 3 of the 5 centrally located sites all standing or walking distances to major transits lines remain undeveloped.
This concept alone shows the overall failure to address the located developable sites along transit against all the open space down at the Seaport without any real transportation access.

The BRA should have forced the garages to develop over the last 15 years with a plan to build a massive transit underground in that time to support a better overall access to the Seaport.

The BRA is powerful, but I'm not sure they can force developers to build, nor should they. Also it's no accident that the large-scale stuff that has been built this cycle is mostly residential, not office.

Interesting idea that they should have held off on new stuff in the Seaport until more of the downtown, transit-accessible, towers had launched. In an alternate universe, some of that capacity absorbed by the Seaport (like Vertex) could have filled a new tower downtown, while PwC, Goodwin and Boston Consulting either stayed put or helped anchor more towers.
But: The added supply in the Seaport has effectively lowered rents in the Financial District, which has made it more attractive to tech companies looking to grow out of Kendall. It has made room for a new industry downtown. I'm not sure that's a bad thing, and in time it may be tech that fills those new towers.

Back