South Station Tower | South Station Air Rights | Downtown

I have a single complaint about the bus terminal location. Much like the Silver Line, very little thought was put into how buses would join the interstate and therefore all NB I-93 buses travel on surface streets through Chinatown to and from the entrance/exit outside the main south station terminal.

As mentioned, looks like Pike EB has the direct line to the bus terminal. 93N only has direct access to Central Parking.

^^ Nice catch, in the render slideshow there's one we have all been asking for: the view straight-on from in front of South Station, looking up. It looks better than I had thought it would from this angle.

I'm curious, how many tracks do people envision a NSRL being? To be operationally feasible were talking at least 3 tracks each direction right? The cross section of 6 tracks is *massive.* Wouldn't it make more sense to just connect NS and SS with a better transit connection?

Can someone explain the operational benefits of NSRL, like how does it work. Do trains from say Franklin line stop at SS, then go to North station then come back? Do all the incoming trains do this or just some? How is this really any better than a rapid transit link between NS and SS? The dwell times at the stations will be massive anyway given the number of people who will still get off at SS and the inefficiency of boarding a commuter rail train. The congestion in the tunnel would be crazy if you tried to send even half the incoming trains in the morning through it, so chances are commuters would have to get off at SS and change to a train continuing onward. So at that point, why not just change to a nice rapid transit link from SS to NS? It would cost far less than NSRL too.

This will answer all of your questions:

http://www.northsouthraillink.org/

This is like the Pierce in Fenway, one angle that looks good.

I didn't see one bad angle in that slideshow. I actually think it's looks better than the previous versions now, because it ascends into the sky, which contrasts very well with the head house.

The "Details" section for the project on the Pelli website has also been updated. The project now includes the year 2020 (not 2019) in the description of the project.

Thanks for the link! I couldn't figure out how to pause the slideshow, but if you right click on the pictures you like and "open image in new tab" it opens a static, full screen version outside the slideshow.

Of course, you can also download the images and peruse them at your pleasure... :)

Good find, Shawn!

Also can't help but notice that the greenery on the setbacks has magically vanished, just as it has on every building in the US that has ever proposed it...

I really want to go back in time and post on the first thread we had on this on this on the old Skyscraperguy forum.

statler said:
Hey guys, it's statler from 2019! Guess what? This project might actually break ground in 2020. We are very excited.

Welp that solves that question... looks great from ground level.

Heres the rest of the renders just to get them all on this 1 page vs having to look around.

fit

PelliClark_15tower02_biz.jpg

Screen_Shot_2018-09-07_at_3.11.55_PM.png

south-station_hres_web.jpg

1808e0a481f6a8e4d0de1663854ea817.png

1689984747.jpeg

BSS-Large4.jpg

Last edited:
Given that we have the darkest nighttime skyline in the world, I really hope the setbacks have some upward-pointing illumination.

The important part is winthrop center will have a lit crown. The tallest tower downtown HAS to or then its ridiculous, luckily it will. Hub on causeway and one congress will be lit too.

Like all of those renderings with the notable exception of the view from the harbor.

it's statler from Thanksgiving 2020! Guess what? This project might actually break ground late in 2021. And although we're still waiting for the Harbor Garage renders, we are truly excited, and have much to be thankful for.

f.i.f.y.

yes, i concur. New York might top out a new 700~950' tower every 2 weeks,

but we got these badass SST renders!

Like so much of Pelli's work, this is slick and anonymous. As a background building, it's acceptable; as an "addition" to our venerable southern transit hub, it remains a snooze...

What would it take to add some vertical dimension to the form? I'd suggest prominent (and preferably dark) metal mullions tracing up the tower's surface. Something to lead the eye upward, to give it presence.

It's no surprise that Hines is based in Houston -- there's an entire collection of towers just like this...

Given that we have the darkest nighttime skyline in the world, I really hope the setbacks have some upward-pointing illumination.

Nothing about the setbacks, but according to the Pelli website:

The tower top will be gently lit at night, adding another landmark to Boston Harbor.

Back