South Station Tower | South Station Air Rights | Downtown

Do you often spend time on the tracks soaking up the natural sunlight? ;)

No, but somebody earlier in the thread complained that this was going to turn South Station in to Penn Station. While I think that's not too accurate for a variety of reasons, it will, at least at track level, seem kind of dark and claustrophobic. Grand train stations traditionally have a glass shed or open air platforms. Lacking that, the station is less grand. On balance, I like this project, especially what it does for the bus station, but there is definitely a downgrade of the rail users' experience. Not worth stopping the project over it, but I'd like to see whether they have some ideas for keeping the platform area light and airy.

Since I keep harping on it, might as well post the current plans for the terminal expansion. Per the diagram, there are 24 existing gates and the expansion will add 12 more (with a different, wider design, perhaps to allow faster loading?)

To paraphrase a response from yesterday...

I could not give less than the other half of the remaining shit, for what the people on trains will not see...The 90 seconds in the morning and evening that people will spend walking to or from their commuter trains is the least of our problems.

Most of the tracks are already under the bus terminal as it is, and the arches will continue to allow some light into the main concourse. They also do provide a somewhat grand (remaining to be seen) entrance into the terminal building. You're never really that far away from the outdoors. Also, no falling ice, no birds shitting, no platforms flooded with rain water.

What would make the experience more tolerable than sunlight is getting rid of the diesel locomotives belching out noxious fumes at 10000 decibels, and switching to electric trains.

No, but somebody earlier in the thread complained that this was going to turn South Station in to Penn Station. While I think that's not too accurate for a variety of reasons, it will, at least at track level, seem kind of dark and claustrophobic. Grand train stations traditionally have a glass shed or open air platforms. Lacking that, the station is less grand. On balance, I like this project, especially what it does for the bus station, but there is definitely a downgrade of the rail users' experience. Not worth stopping the project over it, but I'd like to see whether they have some ideas for keeping the platform area light and airy.

Light colored finishes, good lights, and electric trainsets.....

Take care of those, and your daily train experience will be 200% better than today.

While there is natural light today, it gets pretty dark on the walk to your train whether under the bus terminal, or over on 11-13 where I usually am. Terrible platform canopies constantly drip on you or allow blowing rain in, as they are not connected and have gaps that block light, but let in weather.

If you've been at track level, you know it is dark and somewhat claustrophobic already even being open air.

To paraphrase a response from yesterday...

I could not give less than the other half of the remaining shit, for what the people on trains will not see...The 90 seconds in the morning and evening that people will spend walking to or from their commuter trains is the least of our problems.

Most of the tracks are already under the bus terminal as it is, and the arches will continue to allow some light into the main concourse. They also do provide a somewhat grand (remaining to be seen) entrance into the terminal building. You're never really that far away from the outdoors. Also, no falling ice, no birds shitting, no platforms flooded with rain water.

What would make the experience more tolerable than sunlight is getting rid of the diesel locomotives belching out noxious fumes at 10000 decibels, and switching to electric trains.

Or this since you beat me in while I was typing....

Cover tracks with buildings all the way back to Quincy!

France: still loving their Nuke powered trains!

I feel like some of you have never been to Back Bay Station. The difference in experience between it and south station is staggering.

One is grand portal to the city. The other treats you like a mole person

Well, one is a station (BBY) and the other is a terminal. You would think the terminal would be a bit of a bigger deal. That said, BBY is terrible.

I feel like some of you have never been to Back Bay Station. The difference in experience between it and south station is staggering.

Precisely. Back Bay Station is terrible. I'd hate for South Station to even a little bit resemble it.

Putting a roof over it doesn't mean that it automatically must be a dank, dark tunnel.

Putting a roof over it doesn't mean that it automatically must be a dank, dark tunnel.

Most great train stations in the world have roofs over the platforms. See, e.g., Gare Du Nord.

You'd have a hard time finding a prominent railway station in Europe that doesn't have enclosed platforms.

Full disclosure jass has already stated he wants the building delayed indefinitely and would be fine if it wasn't built so take that into consideration. In terms of darkness I heard of a new invention called a "light bulb" that some people have started using.

Globe Sept 2026: Was the Back the station redo over-hyped?

Back Bay is 91.6% built. Despite a few approved towers & something called VIOLA, it's not getting much more dense. The pre-dawn hype the project got (about a skyscraper LOL) vs the 3, horrid background bldgs, proceeding as slow as a mule and no end in sight is [past is prologue Boston] resurrected.
Next up; VE'd, then VE'd some more. In about a decade buried on page 4, something about modest space improvement and nothing to see here increase in the patron experience.

When I first read that I was thinking that 2026 was the far flung future.

It's 7 years away.

Christ.

I take the orange line there all the time and that experience is so-so... I took the commuter rail out to Boston Landing a while ago, holy shit its god-awful down there on track 5. Mole person is accurate. Its bad. Very bad

Most great train stations in the world have roofs over the platforms. See, e.g., Gare Du Nord.

You'd have a hard time finding a prominent railway station in Europe that doesn't have enclosed platforms.

They key is the height.

Does this look like a prominent European train station to you?

This is the existing area under the bus terminal, which means the entire station will be this height.

southsta27.jpg

southsta69.jpg

How dare you compare that to an enclosed European station

46702-640x360-st-pancras-station_edit_ns.jpg

If Back bay and Penn Station arent enough for you, theres always regional jewel Providence station

P1110195.JPG

I mean those are nice fantasy images, but what is set to be built is a bleak cave

^^NYC, Chicago and Boston are pretty bleak. LA is total dog crap. Jefferson/Market East Station (Philly) is much better w/ its wide open, high ceiling platform.

Europe went all in on trains. We rebuilt 1/2 the world, and for 50 years, abandoned trains.

Last edited:

Back