South Station Tower | South Station Air Rights | Downtown

Taken today…
IMG_0405.jpeg

Interview with architect Frank Clarke about the project.

The comments on the article are pretty negative. I'm holding out some hope for a much-energized main Amtrak concourse, but I am concerned it will be darker than before unless they add some skylights.

Very much agreed. While I'm in favor of SST, the Fed Reserve is a really cool, distinctive structure and SST could be anywhere and is pretty bleh, design-wise.

Correct me if I'm wrong but, from that particular sightline, isn't the Fed Reserve Building just a blank wall- no windows or anything? Just a featureless monolith at that sightline. What is actually being lost from that particular angle, except featureless bulk - a very tall poster board would appear the same, no?

Last edited:
Correct me if I'm wrong but, from that particular sightline, isn't the Fed Reserve Building just a blank wall- no windows or anything? Just a featureless monolith at that sightline. What is actually being lost from that particular angle, except featureless bulk - a very tall poster board would appear the same, no?

Oh come on, it’s more than just a featureless monolith. If it were, wouldn’t it just fade into obscurity? It’s easily one of the top 5 recognizable buildings on the Boston skyline.
I’ve always considered the slender sides as bookends — a symbol of sorts that protects the contents of the interior.

Oh come on, it’s more than just a featureless monolith. If it were, wouldn’t it just fade into obscurity? It’s easily one of the top 5 recognizable buildings on the Boston skyline.
I’ve always considered the slender sides as bookends — a symbol of sorts that protects the contents of the interior.

I hear ya. But from that angle you are looking at a featureless tall wall. Hell, the city could raise a 500 foot tall blank poster board for that particular vista angle if it's so important.

I'm not talking about the building as a whole, which I like. From almost any angle, that building is great. But from the 2 perpendiculars direct from the sides, it's a blank wall. Losing that particular vista angle because the SST will block the blank wall side isn't a real loss - - in fact, at that angle, gaining the SST and losing the blank wall side of The Fed is a large net gain.

****And at night, instead of a rod of darkness at that angle, there will be lights/life radiating out from many of those SST windows

Last edited:

Back