South Station Tower | South Station Air Rights | Downtown

Read this article ("Want to live above South Station?") today, learned some interesting elements. Besides the eyewatering price (which probably makes sense for the area, but is still surprising), but was interested to see that there will be a private park for the condo residents and commercial tenants.

More green area is always nice, but could have been a cool function for the public.

They should start up the core again soon shouldn't they? It's a little curious
You would think. I'm here today (10/26) and you cannot see the core anymore.
I believe the steel structure has to catch up to the top of the core and be prepared for the switch over to concrete floors before this will start rising again.

I believe the steel structure has to catch up to the top of the core and be prepared for the switch over to concrete floors before this will start rising again.
That's what I was trying to say - it HAS caught up.

It's close, but the view from a bit further away shows that they're still 1-2 floors short of the top of the core on the side nearest the channel. No pics to prove it, but it's not uniformly at the top by my eye in the last day or two. They'll probably do some bracing across the full expanse of the highest floor and then go core and floorplate simultaneously. I wasn't sure if they were going concrete floors, but if so that makes a lot of sense. Recall how Winthrop (or at least the residential tower) went up in tandem the same way.

Last edited:
Curtain wall increase; from the project's email update:

South Station.jpg

My understanding is that South Station tower will be slightly taller than the Federal Reserve Building when completed. Is that correct? Those views across Fort Point Channel will be awesome to see when completed.

Yep, 614' to the Fed roof/pinnacle, vs. 654' to the roof and 691' to max height for SST

You didn't pull the ground level out of South Station to come to 673', although it looks like that's from 2016 and this eventually settled at 677'.

Federal Reserve's 614' is a complete trick. I saw somewhere that the top of the roof is only about 585', which makes sense since there's literally no angles from further out where it looks taller than 1 Financial. This is the best pic I could find, but I strongly believe that the barely perceptible sticks on top of the side portions are what brings this to 614'.

1698679347363.png

South Station Tower will basically reach about the same height as 1 Financial's antenna.

Thanks, the height shenanigans are pretty annoying with antenna vs roof vs utilities. Suffice to say, SST will be taller than the Fed and roughly the same as Winthrop, which is the benchmark I've had in mind since they both started going up. Also, beautiful shot of Dewey and SS.

Thanks, the height shenanigans are pretty annoying with antenna vs roof vs utilities. Suffice to say, SST will be taller than the Fed and roughly the same as Winthrop, which is the benchmark I've had in mind since they both started going up. Also, beautiful shot of Dewey and SS.
I agree with the beautiful photo. Maybe the mid 90's? I see the bus station is under construction above the train tracks and the redline headhouse entrances are the pre-renovation design.

It also predates any casting basin work. The pre-9/11 plaza around the Federal Reserve is a flashback.

Defs 1990's. The South Bay Incinerator is in the background. That was demolished by 1998.

Such a cool photo. Don't even get me going on the seaport sea o' parking spots.

The South Station Bus terminal was completed in 1995, so I'm guessing the photo was from 1993 or 1994. It would be very cool to get the SAME vantage point today to see all the changes that everybody mentioned. Plus, think about the Ink Block and all the development along 93 that has happened.

Back