South Station Tower | South Station Air Rights | Downtown

First, I believe it'll eventually be covered. Second, if it ultimately isn't, I don't really see the problem. The nature of the track area is that it's already pretty much "outside," so who cares?

First, I believe it'll eventually be covered. Second, if it ultimately isn't, I don't really see the problem. The nature of the track area is that it's already pretty much "outside," so who cares?
I hope it's eventually covered. If it's not, it will be a big open space for snow and rain to fall on people as they walk from the indoor station to the tracks, which are actually completely covered now (pretty much "inside"). I bet plenty of people other than you would see the problem.

(Please keep in mind that I'm saying this very calmly and conversationally. I'm not someone who is angry and yelling on the internet. I'm just trying to have an informed conversation about this.)

I'd say it would be pretty lame if it wasn't weather proof; i.e. if it was raining (or snowing) you would get rained on stepping out of the station and onto the platforms.

I'd say it would be pretty lame if it wasn't weather proof; i.e. if it was raining (or snowing) you would get rained on stepping out of the station and onto the platforms.
If it’s raining you’ll get wet walking to the station. Are the folks you’re imagining being inconvenienced made of suede?

If it’s raining you’ll get wet walking to the station. Are the folks you’re imagining being inconvenienced made of suede?
I don't know about you, but once I get out of the rain or snow and into the station waiting room, I kinda don't want to get wet again right before I get on the train. I imagine 99.73% of the population would agree with me. It would be such a shameful oversight to spend all these millions for a new skyscraper and station covering with beautiful archways, only to leave this one section that's not protected from the rain and snow.

Unless I came up into the CR station from say the subway... or end of waiting in the station for my train and have a bite to eat and dry off.

I don't know about you, but once I get out of the rain or snow and into the station waiting room, I kinda don't want to get wet again right before I get on the train. I imagine 99.73% of the population would agree with me. It would be such a shameful oversight to spend all these millions for a new skyscraper and station covering with beautiful archways, only to leave this one section that's not protected from the rain and snow.
Is the opening for ventilation purposes?

There are numerous discussions up-thread about how the two buildings are not being structurally tied to each other (dramatically different forms of construction, different thermal and settling profiles). Whatever connection is planned to fill that gap it will have to be very flexible, and will be one of the very last components added in the construction. It could even be as simple as a fabric interface.

There are numerous discussions up-thread about how the two buildings are not being structurally tied to each other (dramatically different forms of construction, different thermal and settling profiles). Whatever connection is planned to fill that gap it will have to be very flexible, and will be one of the very last components added in the construction. It could even be as simple as a fabric interface.
Depending on the drainage on the other side they could even do something like an awning coming off the tower that just extends onto the head houses roof. It really doesn't have to be too complicated.

Steel has caught up to the core. Will they pause the steel for a bit? I see in ccole's post phase II begins mid-December for the final 20 stories.

1699640879741.png

Couple more pieces of the massive cross-braced steel (what are these pieces called?) before everything is flush with the top floor. If I had to guess, I bet they'll build the pouring/climbing rig for the final section similar to how the Winthrop tower went up.

As an aside, I saw a piece of one of the cross-braced girders coming in on a truck a few weeks back and it was unbelievable how solid those things are, and that the drivers backed them in right off Summer St. Really impressive structure.

Steel has caught up to the core. Will they pause the steel for a bit? I see in ccole's post phase II begins mid-December for the final 20 stories.

View attachment 44333

Since it's CIP from this point up, the steel work will be done.

It makes sense why we see the pause in vertical construction, because in order to start the concrete portion they need to complete the last floor of steel so they have somewhere to form & support the cast in place floors.

What are they going to do for the steel to rebar transfer point? I would imagine they would put rebar around the steel trusses and then cast in place concrete over the whole thing. Then you would have a solid concrete structure with rebar sticking out for the next floors going up and it would also be anchored to the steel structure below.

What are they going to do for the steel to rebar transfer point? I would imagine they would put rebar around the steel trusses and then cast in place concrete over the whole thing. Then you would have a solid concrete structure with rebar sticking out for the next floors going up and it would also be anchored to the steel structure below.
There are several ways to connect structural steel and concrete: They can weld headed shear studs (imagine an extremely big thick roofers nail) to the steel, then cast the concrete against/around the steel. They can also weld rebar couplers to the steel, like a steel sleeve that allows concrete workers to securely install rebar that sticks out from the steel. Concrete that is cast around these bars is then effectively connected to the steel. And finally, the rebar itself can be welded to the structural steel, but this requires a special kind of rebar.

Another recent example of CIP tower on top of a steel frame (though at different scale) is the Hub on Causeway residential tower. The podium there is steel, but the residential tower itself is concrete.

Back