South Station Tower | South Station | Downtown

stick n move

Reaction score
Nice find ^

I couldnt agree more.. Seeing the changes at North Station have truly been mind blowing, and Im actually extremely proud to have it in my city now for the first time in my life. Its also distinctly Boston. Huge improvement.

I cant wait to now see how the new South Station will compare. It will be very different, which is good imo, and hopefully iconic in its own way. I cant wait to see how it stacks up and how they both compare and contrast.

FitchburgLine

Reaction score
This is a fun discussion - in terms of facilities and amenities, the pre-boom (say 2008) ranking of major stations was BOS > BBY > BON. Right now I'd argue it's BON > BOS > BBY, but with both Back Bay and South Station with planned air-rights overhauls, I'd be interested to hear peoples projections for the future.

HelloBostonHi

Reaction score
I think BOS>BON>BBY if everything goes according to plan, but BBY air rights is still in limbo, I'd love to see it actually happen. BOS has the most potential being already a pretty great location and space, especially if SSX goes through. BBY will always be limited by it's dungeon platforms, especially for the Worcester line.

The EGE

Reaction score
[off topic]

Back Bay's biggest problem is diesel exhaust - once the combination of better ventilation, renovations, and eventually electric service makes the waiting room habitable and the platforms breathable, it's got a lot of potential. The interior plans (assuming they go through) will do a lot, but there's other work to make it a really functional and pleasant station:
  • Make the Worcester Line platform not suck. Raise it to high level (and reduce your dwell times), and have trains stop closer to the east end where the station access is. Put brighter but less-harsh lighting, and ditch the bare concrete. (How about paint the entire walls purple!) Widen the stairway on the west side of Dartmouth to allow entry, and consider additional entrances at Clarendon (the busway plaza) and Stuart (near Au Bon Pain).
  • More entrances. Sign the hell out of Copley Place as a convenient entrance to the Orange Line. Turn the exit-only stairs at Columbus into entrances, with elevators for redundant accessibility. Add full-time entrances at Berkeley Street. This isn't a terminal station where everyone is converging at one point; having as many ways to access the station from different directions makes it more useful.
  • Ditch the hideous ads on the facade.
  • Signage and maps to emphasize connections and destinations - Green Line and buses at Copley Square, the interior route to the Prudential Center, etc.

whighlander

Reaction score
Not a total "Derailment" 😋 as there has been a discussion of what might be turned up archaeologically by the foundation work

Here is a tool of which I have become aware through the Universal Hub

BPL site lets you see how Boston streets have changed since the Civil War
By adamg - 1/20/20 - 9:48 am
You can use a slider to see Scollay Square change into Government Center.
The BPL's Norman Leventhal Map Center has created this really nifty thing that you should probably stop reading about right now unless you have some free time, because you're going to want to play with it right away: Atlascope Boston lets you enter a Boston-area address or location and then see what it looked like in the good old days (some of the maps date to the 1860s). Read more.

using the tremendous resourses of the BPL's Leventhal Map Center -- you can dial into a particular location -- say 700 Atlantic Ave, Boston, MA 02110 [South Station official address] on a modern map -- and then go back in time to see what it looked like 100 or more years ago based on maps from the era in question

It's a fun experience especially if you have a local address of interest to you from say your family [I took a look at a place in Cambridge once owned by my
father's older sister]

For example, in the view below, you can see the South Station area in 1938 (in the circle) and what it looked like in 1888 - note that the location of the tracks is completely different - and that they terminated at a different station:

South Station on old maps

If you want to learn more, the BPL is holding a session on using the site on Feb. 3 at the Jamaica Plain branch library (it'll be focused on JP locations, but the site's "Search Places" control will let you explore the rest of the Boston area).
Note as of now it mostly works in the inner suburbs + Boston / Cambridge

odurandina

Reaction score
sometimes i wake up and wonder if it's 1920 or 2020.

Last edited:

Charlie_mta

Reaction score
In 1966, the BRA was fully expecting to demolish South Station and replace it with another bland 1960's urban renewal box. Thank goodness that bullet was dodged. As I recall, the Vietnam War and LBJ caused the Federal urban renewal funds to dry up, terminating the proposed Downtown urban renewal project (including replacing South Station).

fatnoah

Reaction score
In 1966, the BRA was fully expecting to demolish South Station and replace it with another bland 1960's urban renewal box
I'm in San Francisco Bay area for work this week and took my first jaunt into SF via Caltrain. The "train station" in San Francisco is a vision of what might have come to pass in Boston.

stellarfun

Reaction score
I'm in San Francisco Bay area for work this week and took my first jaunt into SF via Caltrain. The "train station" in San Francisco is a vision of what might have come to pass in Boston.
You mean this.

Equilibria

Reaction score
Technically they just spent (wasted) many billions building a new train station. Now they await the additional billions (that will never arrive) to actually build tracks to it.

If South Station Expansion bothers you, the Transbay Terminal should set your hair on fire.

odurandina

Reaction score
Oh, everything is all connected.
The fun discussion got me thinking about LA's, somewhat odd Union Station.
3 words come to mind
1. Art Deco
2. Streamliner
3. Spanish mission

Yep: wiki says it too.

fatnoah

Reaction score
Yeah, I fail to see how the Caltrain station in SF has anything todo with South Station here.
My poorly made point was that SF demolished its station and replaced it something barely better than a "bland urban renewal box". We're fortunate that didn't happen here.

whighlander

Reaction score
Did anyone attend the Show & Tell yesterday?
I had high hopes of going but -- I was stuck in Winthrop working on a project

Jahvon09

Reaction score
I imagine that once this project gets underway there will be many "walls of death" from shops being moved around there.

DBM

Reaction score
Did anyone attend the Show & Tell yesterday?
I had high hopes of going but -- I was stuck in Winthrop working on a project
I did. Pretty sparsely attended, no more than 30 folks I figure--although the meeting was graced by the presence of no less an eminence than Fred Salvucci, who I observed studying a slideshow presentation quite carefully.

I do think the claims of "needing to add 5-10 minutes to your commute" seem rather inflated/exaggerated based on what the renderings depicted.

Also, there was nothing on display that isn't already up on the website as far as I could tell.