Southfield

This whole movie studio stuff is pretty exciting if you ask me. If built its implications for the economy and culture could be very benefitial. It would also help increase Boston's profile on the national and international level.

i dont really care all that much about Boston's profile, but the possibility of diversifying the local economy is very exciting. It could help make MA's economy more resistant to downturns... although it seems as if Hollywood as big business is in a steady decline that I don't really see an end to.

I believe there's already a southfield ma, so that doesnt look to be a goal to answer an earlier question. Also, Weymouth isn't exactly a snobish town I wouldn't expect there to be a motive to keep unwantons out. Though a new enclave might take on its own personality.

Why did someone delete the SouthField thread and place my latest post in this thread instead? Whats going on????

Sorry smw. I mistakenly merged this thread with the movie studio thread. It should be back the way it was now.

Sorry smw. I mistakenly merged this thread with the movie studio thread. It should be back the way it was now.

Thanks! I thought there was a conspiracy for a minute!

Found out some interesting news from a Weymouth "Town" councilor. Southfield will basically be its own municipality. Its run my a company called L & R which the navy sold the base to. They own all the rights to the land until 2053. They get all the taxes, the "Tri-Town Council"(Weymouth, Abington and Rockland) is getting nothing for the next 50 or so years. L & R is going to have its own police, fire, schools, trash etc etc. I don't think its really its own town because its getting turned back over to the towns eventually. Also the toxic waste cleanup the Navy was never the responsibility of the Navy, L & R is going to have to take that beast on itself...
Gov. Patrick was down there last week I believe I saw some articles about that. I believe the state is pledging funds for the main artery thats going to connect it directly to Rt. 3.

Doesn't the state legislature have to approve creating any additional political subdivisions such as this?

http://www.southfield.com/

http://www.ssttdc.com/

http://www.lnrproperty.com/

The above are the links to follow for more information about this development.

It's LNR Property Corporation btw, not L & R. They are the developer. The above is the first time I have heard anything along the lines of LNR running the development as some kind of semi-autonomous township prior to turning this over to the towns in 50 years. I can't claim that I have read every piece of paper work on this, but I have been following it somewhat closely for the last decade plus. Where did this tidbit come from?

I had originally been tracking this project as a way to move back to Rockland, but unfortunately, I want a yard if I'm going to live in the suburbs.

Looks like there is 42.5m in state funding for the new east/west parkway.

The *$#%@ Massachusetts legislature is going to repeal all the tax incentives that have led to so much Hollywood money coming to Boston.

So kiss all these movie productions good-bye. It was fun though to see a little taste of what could happen if Massachusetts at least pretended to be a pro-business state, huh? While the ignorant Legislature harps on the taxes they can reap from these people by repealing the film tax incentives, they are ignoring the economic development that this industry could have brought to the state. I would guess that all these studio development proposals go nowhere now.

Canada has similar climate and terrain and once again the pendulum has shifted in their favor, away from Massachusetts - many of the movies that we did get in the past couple of years were going to be filmed in Ontario.

Found out some interesting news from a Weymouth "Town" councilor. Southfield will basically be its own municipality. Its run my a company called L & R which the navy sold the base to. They own all the rights to the land until 2053. They get all the taxes, the "Tri-Town Council"(Weymouth, Abington and Rockland) is getting nothing for the next 50 or so years. L & R is going to have its own police, fire, schools, trash etc etc. I don't think its really its own town because its getting turned back over to the towns eventually. Also the toxic waste cleanup the Navy was never the responsibility of the Navy, L & R is going to have to take that beast on itself...
Gov. Patrick was down there last week I believe I saw some articles about that. I believe the state is pledging funds for the main artery thats going to connect it directly to Rt. 3.

So this is how rumors get started I guess. Southfield will not have its own schools, fire dept, police, etc. It's part of Weymouth and will use Weymouth's services.

They even mention Weymouth schools on the Southfield web site:
http://www.southfield.com/AreaSchools.aspx?Goto=live

Last edited:
So, which Weymouth town councilor did this (seemingly erroneous) report come from?

If Southfield overlaps into multiple municipalities, are all the residential units in Weymouth? Or have they made an arrangement so that all the children go to Weymouth schools even if they actually live in one of the other towns?

Just because its on the website doesnt make it necessarily true... that said maybe my informant was wrong. I don't know. He was pretty clear to me, and he certainly has inside knowledge about the whole process. Sorry about the L & R LNR confusion, this is spoken word, it happens.

I'm not going to give away his name on here, that's just not fair. I'll talk to him and maybe he'll post on here himself a la Ned Flahery. He did also tell me that he was causing such a disturbance in the process, LNR asked for a personal meeting between him and company reps. I don't see him being this screwed up in his story, but who knows. I wouldnt believe that website either

If he's a public official talking about a development project in his town, I don't see any reason to keep his name secret.

Disclosure: I represent parties associated with this matter.

I do not betray any confidences when I say that the rumor is not new. Keep in mind that one would need an exhaustive legislative process for the rumor to become fact. Similar discussions (and rumors) attended the closure and transformation of Fort Devens. As of yet, "Devens" has not attained the status of the Commonwealth's 352nd municipality, despite its earlier beginnings.
Lennar might or might not want incorporation, but ultimately it will be up to the legislative delegations of the affected communities to set the tone.

If he's a public official talking about a development project in his town, I don't see any reason to keep his name secret.

This isn't coming out of thin air. I see no reason why you need a name. This was a private, casual conversation between myself and him, and I didn't ask him if I could tell the world about it. That's fine if you don't want to believe it, but I'm not giving away his name unless I ask him first. Its really not that important you're not going to know who the man is anyway. Tobes pretty much just backed what I said up, don't question my shit, there's absolutely no reason for me to make things up.

The "Commonwealth Ave-like" park reference made me chuckle. I mean, it's a nice little boulevard thing, but come on...

DTZ FHO Partners hired to lease Southfield development

DTZ FHO Partners was hired by LNR Property Corp. to lease the 1.7 million-square-foot SouthField Corporate Center.

The corporate center is part of the 1,400 acre-mixed use development called SouthField located at the former South Weymouth Naval Air Station. In addition to the corporate center, the development will include two million square feet of office, manufacturing and R&D space.

SouthField is a mixed-use, transit-oriented development located 12 miles from downtown Boston. When complete, SouthField will include a total of 2,855 high-end residential units, a 48-acre recreation complex, a science center for biotech research and a village-style retail district.

The SouthField development was been selected to participate in the U.S. Green Building Council?s Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) for Neighborhood Development Pilot program for Silver certification. The project was also recognized by the state as being a smart growth development.

LNR Property Corp. is a commercial real estate firm headquartered in Newport Beach, Calif. LNR has developed and repositioned of more than 1,000 properties in 33 states during the last 15 years.

http://www.bizjournals.com/boston/stories/2008/07/07/daily23.html?surround=lfn

Back