Springfield Commuter Rail

Waldorf

Reaction score
In six or so years, Springfield will be the northern terminus for the New Haven-Hartford-Springfield (the Knowledge Corridor) commuter rail line, part of the MetroNorth RR. With that being said, could the MBTA continue the Worcester line to Springfield? I know that Amtrak already runs trains from Springfield to Boston, so there are tracks in place.

How feasible is this? Is it a good idea? I think Springfield needs all the help it can get.

I'd love to see the Worcester line continue to Springfield where it would connect to the New Haven/Hartford line. But then I'd want to see the commuter rail extended a little further north to Northampton and Amherst. With the MBTA's debt it might be unlikely. But it would be so cool to see this happen.

I'd love to see the Worcester line continue to Springfield where it would connect to the New Haven/Hartford line. But then I'd want to see the commuter rail extended a little further north to Northampton and Amherst. With the MBTA's debt it might be unlikely. But it would be so cool to see this happen.

I don't know how lucky Amherst will be in the future, but I know that commuter rail will be coming to Northampton and further north, terminating in Greenfield or Brattleboro. If anything, this Northampton commuter rail project might be done before the T extends service to Springfield...but I don't know when the completion dates are supposed to be.

It might make more sense to extend commuter rail from Springfield to Worcester instead. Since Amtrak already makes the trip it's not like there would be a huge jump in passengers if the Worcester line went out further. Besides, the Worcester line is long enough. Give the Pioneer Valley its own commuter rail and have it transfer at Worcester.

Commuter rail sucks, why do you guys want to expand it? Besides, once you get to your bumblefuck destination, you'll need a car to get anywhere. Yes, even in Amherst and Northampton.

Cars are evil and everybody should ride the train together like one big kool-aid sipping collective. And it's green, yippee!!! IT'S GREEN!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not that I buy into that nonsense, but that will be the argument in a nutshell.

Commuter rail sucks, why do you guys want to expand it? Besides, once you get to your bumblefuck destination, you'll need a car to get anywhere. Yes, even in Amherst and Northampton.

Ha, clearly SOMEBODY has never been to Amherst and Northampton! Northampton is TINY, and you can walk absolutely anywhere. Amherst is tiny too, but it has the added benefit of free buses.

Now, I agree that commuter rail sucks in its current form (locomotives?!), but so long as there is passenger service on a route, there's a chance for an upgrade. I'd love to see some DMU or EMU service, but I acknowledge that it would take a while to get it. Regular commuter rail would still help me get around.

My feelings are that any service there has to be fast. Regular service would be painfully long and probably not attract many riders. Downeaster service to Portland does well but it's a glorified tourist train. It takes over 3 hours to get to Boston (a 2 hour drive) and has something like 20% regular commuters. Springfield doesn't have the tourism draw that Portland does so ridership would suffer (not to mention Amtrak trains are much more comfortable than MBTA commuters).

I disagree with the "not being able to get anywhere" statement. The PVTA is one of the better transit agencies you'll find in any small metro area. It's an extensive and widely used service.

I still don't think a commuter rail route should be added unless it's high speed. A slow route seems like it would be an immediate failure.

Maybe a commuter rail down to amherst and into Six Flags New England?

Back