St. Alphonsus Hall, Mission Hill (was: abandoned theatre?)

Ron Newman

Reaction score
[Edit: The original subject of this post was "Where is this abandoned theatre?", but later responders have identified it. So I have changed the subject line appropriately. Thanks everyone! -- RN 1/1/07]

This journal entry has lots of photos of the inside of an abandoned theatre somewhere in Boston. Here's one of them:

e7681.jpg

The single exterior shot, a rooftop photo, shows an alignment of Boston skyscrapers, left-to-right: Prudential, 111 Huntington, Christian Science Administration Tower, Hancock Tower:

e7701.jpg

This suggests to me a location near the Southwest Corridor, in Mission Hill, Jamaica Plain, or perhaps the western edge of Roxbury. Does anyone here know more, or want to take a more specific educated guess?

More interior photos

I'm not sure. The pastel housing looks like Orchard Park to me. I also think there is an old unused theater in Eggleston Square.

It's directly behind Mission Church and is right next to the ballpark there. This is looking South

Was this a commercial theatre, or part of the church complex?

Potential catalyst for further neighborhood revival.

Ron, it doesn't look churchy.

ablarc said:
Potential catalyst for further neighborhood revival.

Ron, it doesn't look churchy.

Wasn't that part of the school that was once there, associated with the church?

This area is prime for neighborhood redevelopment (it's already started a few blocks away at Brigham Circle) ...

St Alphonus Hall

That would be St Alphonus Hall. A few years ago Shakespeare & Company, in the Berkshires, was looking at this theater to be a winter home. Here are a few links with more info:

http://www.historicboston.org/99cb/missionchurch.htm

http://www.historicboston.org/99cb/st_alphonsus.htm

http://classymisscassie.zoto.com/galleries/stalphonsus

http://www.cityofboston.gov/environment/pdfs/mission_churchcomp.pdf

I believe that crime is as bad as ever so I can't anyone would want to build market rate apartments at tat site.

That's not the Christian Science Administration building in front of 111 Huntington, that's Northeastern's West Village H tower, and to the right of that is Northeastern's West Village A tower (the orange building)

Oops. Thinking about the geography a bit, you're right. But if so, I'm wondering why the Christian Science tower isn't visible in that photo at all.

From looking at some web links, there seems to be a seroius danger that St. Alphonsus Hall could be torn down, or that only its fa?ade would be preserved in front of a new development unrelated to either the church or the performing arts.

That would be a real shame. Why was this place allowed to languish for decades, such a short distance from Jordan Hall, Symphony Hall, Northeastern University, and the rest of our cultural institutions? Extending the Huntington Avenue cultural corridor in this direction makes lots of sense.

Ron,

There's a lot to it. I lived out there for about two years, and at first hated it (walking around Roxbury Crossing as a white person in a black neighborhood gave me a whole new perspective on what it's like to be a minority ... what an interesting, good learning experience). Now, I kind of miss being out there, only 10 (or 30) minute from the Back Bay, depending on the T.

Northeastern--despite whatever their intentions may be--is the kiss of death in the black community. And, that's a very strong, rich and thriving community in those tight blocks between the Museum/NEU and Brigham, stretching south of Huntington down to the OL corridor. Mission Main, across the street from this building, is one of the better projects, few drugs (relatively speaking, when comparing Villa Victoria, Old Colony, Bromley-Heath, etc.). As Mission Hill proper upgrades itself, and NEU marches westward, it will be interesting to see what happens in this little plot of land.

I'm late for this thing, but could perhaps write more later, if you're interested.

St. Alphonsus

The entire building is slated for demolition. There will be no facadectomy. The plans have already been approved by all permitting agencies. This was never a commercial theatre, it was always part of the church complex. It is incredible inside, but it has fallen into extraordinary disrepair, as it has been abandoned for thirty years. Apparently the Marist fathers had neither the money or the will to ensure that the building was properly preserved. The interior has been exposed to the elements and there was a fire in the rear of the structure that gutted the back of the stage. It is in very, very bad shape. The building will be replaced by an eight story residential building.

Several theatre companies looked at the property, but it was not economically feasible to repair. Furthermore, there is no parking in the area, and it is removed from the commercial and residential heart of Mission Hill. Nonetheless, it is a grand old building and its loss is unfortunate.

Mission Church and complex is owned by the Redemptorists, not the Marists. There used to be weekly "missions" at the church, which is a minor basilica and the site of many physical healings. Missions were preached services for men and for women that drew thousands at a time when Mission Hill was primarily Irish-Catholic. The church has been beautifully restored recently and is still a wonderful place for quiet contemplation and prayer.

Back