State Transportation Building Redevelopment | Theater District

Also - its fucking bullshit that the plazas on Merrimac and Cambridge St have been turned into half-assed parking lots....

They've started daily food trucks on the Cambridge/New Chardon Plaza. That side is at least somewhat active (on the street level, anyway) during nicer weather with Lindeman, SSC, and courthouse employees out there. Agree re: the fences and parking. It's really not the intended use.

I work at the Lindeman. I actually love the building, but wish it was maintained a bit better. I have a few photos of the interior, but it's not easy to get them (patients cannot be photographed). If there's anything in particular you want to see a photo of on the inside, let me know and I'll try and get one.

As someone who has spent some time in this building (and the interiors can be relatively nice), I see the potential for the site, but I don't see the economic sense this makes for MassDOT.

Let's say they sell the building for a couple hundred million dollars. MassDOT has, I would guess, about a thousand employees in 10PP, as well as several ballroom-sized conference rooms and the transportation library. It's important that a fair number of those be in Boston, convenient to the State House and to other State administrative functions, and it's important that as many individual sub-agencies as possible be co-located (the MBTA and the Highway Division, for example) to build cooperation and communication between them. It's also important that the MBTA, and really the agency as a whole, be as transit-accessible as conceivably possible.

MassDOT could theoretically lease a lot of space somewhere like One Congress, but it would be a challenge to replicate the conference function of 10PP in a building not built to MassDOT's spec. An owner might build that stuff to suit in exchange for a really long lease, but I can't see a state agency paying Class A office rent anyhow.

If they build, there are a couple of suitable sites, most notably the parking lots surrounding the District 6 Administration Building south of Kneeland St. MassDOT would probably have to replicate the existing building at least twice to the north and west. The cost of building such a complex would probably eat whatever MassDOT made from selling 10PP.

That's the key issue. 10PP is paid off - it costs MassDOT nothing but maintenance and I don't get the sense that it's poorly maintained. Because many functions of MassDOT can't leave Downtown Boston, the agency would just be trading cheap space for new, similarly situated space built or leased at today's prices. Even if they make a little money on the deal, it would be only a little.

I will miss the food court, but that's it.

This is the next logical spot for some height in this area.

I definitely want to hear the state's plan for housing DOT, and replicating the functionality of the building before I cheer its redevelopment.

That's huge, and shocking. Besides the annoyance of having to go past Downtown to get to MassDOT (which comes with the territory), I'm worried about the part where Emerson wants to buy the building. Emerson might build high quality, but it won't build high.

Given the runaway success of Millennium Tower in the market, I bet some other developer jumps on this site for 700 feet of condos. Walsh shouldn't settle for anything else.

If Emerson demoed the Transportation building and did something new with part/all of the site, I would have greater faith in them than most other universities after seeing what they pulled off in Los Angeles.

emerson-college-los-angeles-m260214-ib-1.jpg

53361637c07a80cb6b00027e_emerson-college-los-angeles-morphosis-architects_exterior-shot-of-the-center-from-west-sunset-blvd.jpg

Emerson-Los-Angeles-Morphosis-3.jpg

As much as I love height, I think I would far prefer quality here over much else. If we can get quality AND height, then awesome!

Stunning.
I can't imagine that would go down well in Boston, however.

^^^I would hate to have that LA building here in Boston, especially visible from the Common. It's glitzy nonsense. A brutalist structure with shiny materials.

Most of the Globe comments are supportive, or offer appropriate criticism (like 1500 parking spaces is anti-urban). There are a few "what about the TRAFFIC?!" people, and the latest guy is a "Roxbury is dangerous gangland" concern troll... par for the course.

Most of the Globe comments are supportive, or offer appropriate criticism (like 1500 parking spaces is anti-urban). There are a few "what about the TRAFFIC?!" people, and the latest guy is a "Roxbury is dangerous gangland" concern troll... par for the course.

Not that I support the offensive generalization of the neighborhood, but while this is technically Roxbury, it's not really in Dudley. Given the distances involved, it would be just as accurate to say that MassDOT is moving to the LMA. The site is directly adjacent to the Northeastern campus and is easily walkable from the MFA stop on the Green Line.

Please, anything to replace what's there now, minus the alley. The building is just awful. Back Bay station and the Transportation Building are on an equal misery scale.

Please, anything to replace what's there now, minus the alley. The building is just awful. Back Bay station and the Transportation Building are on an equal misery scale.

Actually, I bet they'd get more money for the site by splitting it in half. Get the city to redo the parcel boundaries and build the alley through to Stuart before you sell it to two different developers. Reduces the chance you get another landscraper there.

If Emerson demoed the Transportation building and did something new with part/all of the site, I would have greater faith in them than most other universities after seeing what they pulled off in Los Angeles.

*snip*

As much as I love height, I think I would far prefer quality here over much else. If we can get quality AND height, then awesome!

Different strokes for different folks, I guess, but that Los Angeles building is horrifyingly awful.

Love Emerson LA. Buildings with spirit and boldness (whatever the design may be) are too few here.

That's huge, and shocking. Besides the annoyance of having to go past Downtown to get to MassDOT (which comes with the territory), I'm worried about the part where Emerson wants to buy the building. Emerson might build high quality, but it won't build high.

Given the runaway success of Millennium Tower in the market, I bet some other developer jumps on this site for 700 feet of condos. Walsh shouldn't settle for anything else.

Equilibria -- bet this gets done Espresso -- this is Deval's parting gift to the folks building Tremont Crossing

I think the offer to Emerson will be pre-arranged to allow the whole to be announced before Deval is gone

Constraints will be placed on height due to summer / spring / fall shade [no more use of the other term] with a dearth of photons at certain times on certain sq mters of the Common or the Public Garden

At 18 stories this will probably get its own thread come April, but it's relevant to this project:

http://www.bizjournals.com/boston/n...-college-gives-time-frames-for-dormitory.html

Emerson will build an 18-story dorm on the alley that leads in to the current MassDOT atrium. The thing about dorms is that they don't usually activate the ground floor (I can't see Emerson wanting to host a bar in a dorm, for example), so I'd expect Boylston place to end up as a tunnel of plate glass with student activity space on the other side.

Back