Steve Bailey leaving Boston Globe

Mike

Reaction score
Bailey leaving Boston Globe
Monday, March 10, 2008 - 1:24 PM EDT
Boston Business Journal

Longtime Boston Globe business columnist Steve Bailey is leaving the paper for a job in London, Globe employees were told today.

Bailey, a former business editor at the paper, is taking a buyout and will work for Bloomberg News, according to an internal Globe memo. His widely read Globe column, "Downtown," often focuses on behind-the-scenes business negotiations and political score-settling.

"I've had a great run at the Globe," said Bailey, 57 who also said he joined the Globe 30 years ago. "I think the Globe is going to be fine. I'm leaving the place in great hands."

"I have a European wife who wants to be in Europe...I'd like to be with my wife," he added.

At Bloomberg, Bailey will be a features editor. He said it will be a full-time position and he does not expect to contribute to the Globe going forward.

The move was not a result of the buyout offers, he said. "I've been working on this a while."

Additionally, Globe Executive Editor Helen Donovan and Deputy Managing Editor for News Operations Michael Larkin are leaving the Globe, according to the memo.

The departures come at a time of budget-cutting for the Globe -- where many employees have been offered buyouts -- and other big city daily newspapers. The Globe has announced its buyout program last month. The program is aimed at reducing the staff by a total of 80 people - roughly 60 in Boston and the remainder at the Worcester Telegram & Gazette.

The Globe is owned by the New York Times Co.

Link

Aside from from his opinion on urban design (man, is he ever going to hate Europe) from what I understand he was a well regarded reporter and writer.
Overall a loss for the city.

I consider this a great loss for Boston journalism. You may not always agree with him, but he knows a lot about our city.

Continuation of the Globe's downward spiral? I disagreed with most of what he had to say, but always respected his views.

If only the Herald could send VanSoaris to some other continent.

Maybe we're looking at this all wrong.
Perhaps after a few months of living in Europe Steve will realize the value of density and urban cohesiveness so vital to healthy cities and file a special column from the Continent:

Greenway, Smeenway! Build! Build! Build!
by Steve Baily
Special to the Globe

:D

No, no, he's not capable of learning the right lessons from this...

"London recognizes the value of its vast greenswards," says Steve Bailey, a Globe contributor now living abroad. "Boston should protect its Greenway as zealously as British gardeners guard their azaleas".

Back