Storrow Drive tunnel replacement

Although Ron's suggestion (Beacon St) sounds like a good idea, I think we'd need to consider the effect on the rest of the back bay of adding so many cars. Each intersection (Berkeley, Dartmouth, Fairfield?) would likely be gridlocked (beyond rush hour), leading to a snowball effect into Copley Square and (the already congested & tourist filled) Boylston Street on the whole.
Myself, I work in the Back Bay and enjoy the use of the Esplanade, however I support moving the roadway temporarily onto the parkland. If done right (which is a whole other question), the temporary road would not destroy the whole park, in fact it appears that the vast majority of the park would remain usable throughout the construction period.

I don't see why using two blocks of Beacon Street would have any effect at all on Fairfield Street or Copley Square. The cars aren't really entering the Back Bay grid at all; they are just skirting the northeast edge of it.

When you shut down a major traffic artery most traffic disperses into general traffic and a percentage of people stop driving all together (the percentage is larger than you would think, though I don't have the numbers.)
It is also safe to assume that if they shut down Storrow Dr. a good portion of the traffic would be diverted to Memorial Drive and the Mass Pike so the Back Bay wouldn't fill up as much as people think, though I'm sure Cambridge would be pissed at all the extra traffic that Memorial Dr. cannot handle.

I agree that the former Storrow motorists wouldn't enter the Back Bay grid, in fact I'm sure they'd do what they can to avoid it...
I think its easy to underestimate the spill-over effect of suddenly having a huge increase of traffic, likely filling the entirety of the 2 (or four blocks) of Beacon Street. My thought is that with these blocks filled with cars, intersecting streets would quickly back up... such as north bound Berkeley and Dartmouth street traffic backing up as far as Boylston St. and into Copley Sq. As for Fairfield I'm not sure that the desired detour can be achieved with only two blocks of Beacon... it certainly would be better if it could, but if not, then the same situation would likely occur at the Fairfield/Beacon intersection as well.
Either way this is an interesting hypothetical to consider.
As for Vanshook, ideally people would ditch their cars (or re-route) given the added headache, but i'm not sure that would apply here given the number of people using Storrow as a connection from 93 to reach longwood/Fenway and other destinations within the City.

There's no eastbound exit from Storrow Drive to Fairfield Street; I don't think the streets are at the same level. There used to be an exit to Dartmouth Street, which was closed a few years ago but could be easily reopened. (It didn't serve much purpose, since Dartmouth Street is one-way northbound south of Beacon.)

Easy solution

You are all missing the most logical solution.

The Mayor should just demand that everyone stop coming into the city at all, much like he did during the Democratic Convention (some call it, fiasco) of 2004.

z: The traffic from 93 could take Melnea Cass Blvd right into the Fenway. There are enough alternative roads to absorb the traffic. People drive because it is convenient. If you take the convenience away they will reevaluate their options.

I don't think we should eliminate Storrow Dr because it is a key route in and out of the city (as well as a beautiful drive) but I do think that we should convert it into a boulevard with at grade crossings (much like New York's West Side Drive) to slow down the flow. If you really need to get downtown THAT fast, take the Pike. This should be done in conjunction with improved transit to the west. This is a much more sustainable long term solution, IMHO.

Esplanade's worth: $5m or priceless
August 22, 2007

ONE OF the more enjoyable rituals for my wife and me is walking along the Charles River Esplanade. This park is hallowed ground, and the idea of building a bypass road through it, however temporary, is extremely ill-conceived. According to your Aug. 16 front-page story "Revived plan for Esplanade detour angers community," the plan's proponents argue that the tunnel repairs would take two years and cost $50 million, instead of two years and six months and $55 million.

Accurately estimating the costs and time to complete highway projects is not something we in Boston are always good at. That said, even if the numbers are accurate, the destruction of the Esplanade, the invasion of a sacred public park, and the certainty that many of us will not live long enough to ever see it properly restored -- all to save six months and $5 million -- is a hopeless imbalance of priorities.

There are some ideas that should simply not progress beyond a passing thought. This was one of them.

READ McCAFFREY
Back Bay

the Esplanade is sacred? Ok, whatever you say, Read McMelodramatic.

I think his point that park restoration takes a long, long time - much longer, even, than the most delayed Massachusetts highway project ever could - is well-taken, though. The Esplanade, particularly the older section closer to Storrow, is full of trees that took 50-100 years to grow as tall as they are.

Note

Note to life insurance company appraisers: Read McCaffrey is predicting his own death within five years.

czsz said:
I think his point that park restoration takes a long, long time - much longer, even, than the most delayed Massachusetts highway project ever could - is well-taken, though. The Esplanade, particularly the older section closer to Storrow, is full of trees that took 50-100 years to grow as tall as they are.

I agree wholeheartedly, and the removal of those relatively old trees is my biggest concern, too. I was just poking fun at that guy for elevating his concerns into that of the holy.

The Globe said:
Storrow fix could mean all-night noise
Back Bay residents fight for Esplanade

By Stephanie Ebbert, Globe Staff | September 14, 2007

To Back Bay residents outraged by the idea of rerouting traffic onto the storied Charles River Esplanade during construction on Storrow Drive, state officials offered another scenario yesterday: nighttime beeping, rumbling, and jackhammering in their backyard for nearly 2 1/2 years.

In meetings with reporters and community groups, Conservation and Recreation Commissioner Richard K. Sullivan Jr. warned that one of the options that would keep traffic on Storrow Drive and off the popular Esplanade would require overnight noisy construction during the long-delayed restoration of the decrepit Storrow Drive tunnel.

Some residents accused the commissioner of pressuring them to support the temporary rerouting of traffic onto the Esplanade by offering the more unattractive alternative of overnight work on the tunnel.

"We're being given a false choice," said state Representative Martha M. Walz, a Back Bay Democrat who opposes the Storrow bypass.

Sullivan did not endorse the Esplanade bypass at yesterday's meeting, but he pointed out that it would allow most traffic to continue flowing along Storrow Drive, a vital east-west route that typically carries 103,000 vehicles a day.

No one disputes the need for repairs to the crumbling 55-year-old tunnel, but there are few popular solutions to keeping traffic flowing through the narrow strip of land along the Charles River during a construction period that could last more than two years.

Sullivan announced yesterday that he was endorsing a renovation of the existing tunnel, rather than more expensive options like replacing the structure or eliminating it by bringing the depressed roadway to street level. But he left on the table four alternatives for managing traffic during its restoration, including the controversial plan to detour cars onto the Esplanade.

A second option, closing the roadway to traffic completely during construction, seems unlikely, given its status as a Boston evacuation route. He rejected a third proposal, to build an elevated bypass over the existing tunnel, as too costly and time-consuming.

That leaves the fourth option, which would reroute eastbound traffic on a temporary road squeezed in between the tunnel and Back Bay and would close westbound lanes at night, when the bulk of work would take place. The temporary road would run alongside Back Street, the alleyway between Beacon Street and Storrow.

Under the Esplanade option, eastbound traffic would remain on the temporary road, but westbound traffic would travel through the parkland, allowing for daytime construction of the tunnel.

"We still adamantly believe that there are options besides either nighttime construction or putting a road on the Esplanade, and we would strongly encourage that they explore them," said Jacquelin Yessian, chairwoman of the Neighborhood Association of the Back Bay.

The notion of detouring cars onto the beloved Esplanade during the tunnel work emerged nearly three years ago, but was scuttled by the Romney administration before being revived by the Department of Conservation and Recreation last month. Though officials have said they are not wedded to the idea, they argued that this 22-month alternative would allow for mostly daytime construction and cost $50 million, saving the project $5 million and seven months.

One opponent deemed the difference immaterial.

"Come on, Dave Mugar spends over one million bucks a year for 23 minutes of fireworks on the Esplanade," said Robert Zimmerman Jr., chairman of the Charles River Watershed Association, who pointed to the long-delayed, swelling costs of the Big Dig. "This is too sophisticated an audience. Boston knows what's going on here. There's no guarantee that they're going to save a dime."

Environmental activists and residents who oppose the Esplanade bypass idea said the department's engineers seemed to embrace that option because it was the easiest, despite the fact that it would lead to the destruction of 89 trees and intrude 40 feet into the park.

Sullivan called himself a "strong advocate for leaving the Esplanade in a better condition than we find her today" and said the project would replace the Fiedler Footbridge with a new structure that creates a grand entrance to the parkland.

But opponents eye that pledge skeptically, pointing to the transit commitments made and dashed when the state built the Big Dig.

"Will the money be available at the end of this project to restore the park?" Walz said. "History teaches us that the answer to that question has been no."

Sullivan said that all of the options being considered would remove some trees. Even if Storrow Drive were closed and traffic diverted to Memorial Drive and local roads, which Sullivan said would lead to gridlock, 22 trees would be removed because a portion of the Esplanade would be used as a staging area. That alternative would take 18 months and cost an estimated $40 million.

The alternative that would close the westbound lanes at night and lead to construction from 9 p.m. to 6 a.m., would last 29 months and cost $55 million.

Building an elevated bypass over the existing tunnel would cost more ($65 million), take longer (at 34 months), and eliminate 100 trees along the Esplanade and Back Street, Sullivan said. As a result, he said, he is not recommending that alternative, though it will be reviewed as part of the department's environmental impact statement. Advocates say they expect those plans to be filed Oct. 1, though Sullivan would not commit to a date yesterday.

During that process, expected to take about 18 months, advocacy groups and residents have additional opportunities to weigh in on the alternatives, and environmental officials can challenge the agency to consider plans that would have less impact on the environment.

In the meantime, the tunnel will need an estimated $6 million to $10 million of long-delayed repairs to keep it safe for another five years.

The pace of the project seemed to accelerate yesterday as Sullivan introduced a new project manager, announced his intent to move from the planning to construction phase of the project, and began pitching the alternatives to reporters and to various community groups that have been studying the alternatives.

Walz said that the "parade of horribles" Sullivan listed as alternatives to the Storrow bypass was misleading. She said that a temporary bypass next to Back Street could provide a solution, though the commissioner said it could not be wide enough for two-way traffic to travel safely.

"It's the most precious park in the entire Commonwealth," Walz argued. "The world over watches the Fourth of July fireworks on the Esplanade.

"Imagine the Fourth of July fireworks in 2010 with Storrow Drive rerouted into the park," she said.

Stephanie Ebbert can be reached at ebbert@globe.com.
Link

This is the point where we need to bring the Beacon Street alternative to the attention of the neighborhood and public officials.

Yes

Yes, "imagine Storrow Drive during the fireworks in 2010."

Yes, imagine a road closed, like every other part of Storrow Drive, during the fireworks, you idiot.

"We still adamantly believe that there are options besides either nighttime construction or putting a road on the Esplanade, and we would strongly encourage that they explore them," said Jacquelin Yessian, chairwoman of the Neighborhood Association of the Back Bay.

And what exactly are these other options....I'm not a road engineer, but I'm pretty certain that there are only so many options. These people are in denial. Whatever the solution is, will result in undesirable consequenses. Losing parkland, or lots of night time noise, or lots of additional traffic on local streets, or continuing to ignore it until it collapses and kills someone and then the road gets closed, which would probably result in nighttime noise AND lots of additional traffic.

While on the topic of Storrow Dr....I'm a huge supporter of Rivervision 2020. For those not familiar with the vision/plan, it would return Storrow to a high-capacity surface street (similar to Comm Ave.) between Hereford and at least Arlington, possibly all the way to 93. In addition, it calls for some very logical transit expansions.

Here is a link to some additional information.

http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=41881&view=findpost&p=854181

This project is an absolute nightmare. I don't even want to think about a solution to this one. No matter what they do, the ramifications traffic-wise will be felt way beyond the back bay. I foresee a congestion all the way down berkeley.

The ideal solution is close Storrow during the project, add temporary or permanent Turnpike ramps to compensate. But that has serious engineering challenges of its own.

Paul Levy, CEO of Beth Israel

From Paul Levy's (CEO of Beth Israel Hospital) blog:

Do we need Storrow Drive?

Apologies to those from other cities or who are just reading this blog for health care items, but every now and then I like to dive back into the infrastructure arena. It is actually the field I am trained in, worked in for many years, and taught at MIT. So sometimes I can't resist. One of my colleagues in this field is Fred Salvucci, former MA secretary of transportation. We worked together in state government and also at MIT. We were gabbing about a bunch of topics, and both of us had been thinking about this one, and it just bubbled up. I don't know if he wanted me to make it public, but if you like the idea, give him credit. If you don't, give me the blame.

The topic is Storrow Drive, a road that began in the days of "parkways", pleasure roads that were off-limits to trucks. From the beginning, this one was controversial, in that it was built on state parkland bordering the Charles River. The Charles River basin was itself an early, successful example of regional planning, envisioned by Charles Eliot in the 1890's as a unique combination of urban parkland, flood control, and improved sanitation.

Today, Storrow Drive is a main arterial road, leading traffic to various points of downtown Boston. Most of the time, you are too busy driving around odd curves and on ramps and off ramps and avoiding aggressive Boston drivers to remember that you are on a pleasure vehicle parkway. The physical components of the road have deteriorated over the last 70 years and require major rebuilding. The current controversy is how to carry out the construction and maintain the traffic flow. A plan floated by the state is to take existing parkland -- the Esplanade -- as a temporary route during this construction period. This has raised objections from a variety of quarters. Here is an example published yesterday by two former highly respected parks commissioners, John Sears and Bill Geary.

Opportunities like this come along but rarely, and I think we should ask the question: Do we need Storrow Drive? Please understand that I have not done a detailed technical analysis -- and this idea might be all wet -- but would the City of Boston and the region be better off without a commuters' highway alongside one of the most beautiful portions of the city?

Imagine Boston without Storrow Drive, say from the BU Bridge to the Longfellow Bridge. The horrible gash isolating the Back Bay from the Charles River would be gone. There could be a walk to the river from every street between Charles and St. Mary's.

Impossible, you say? Look at San Francisco, where the Central Freeway was taken down after it was damaged in an earthquake -- or the West Side Highway in New York, which was likewise eliminated when a portion collapsed.

How to do it here? Let's say that a new BU Bridge -- and yes, the BU Bridge will have to be replaced soon because it is in terrible shape -- were connected directly to exit and on ramps from the Mass. Turnpike and then repositioned on the Cambridge side to align with Vassar Street instead of bumping into the Reid Overpass on Memorial Drive so that Turnpike drivers could go directly to their destinations at MIT and Kendall Square. Let's say the Grand Junction railroad bridge were reconfigured as an express bus and pedestrian route from Cambridge to Boston to enhance mass transit, walking, and biking between Cambridge and BU and the Longwood Area. Let's say the Longfellow Bridge -- and yes, this bridge will be rebuilt also -- had revised approaches on the Boston side. You get the idea.

The lesson from San Francisco and New York is that highways like this generate their own traffic. When they are eliminated, the traffic can be directed more rationally, and urban amenities like access to the water, walking, biking, and parklands can be enhanced. Maybe Storrow Drive is really needed. But maybe it isn't. Before we spend millions of dollars duplicating its design flaws, let's ask the question with an open mind and consider the alternatives.

Source: http://runningahospital.blogspot.com/2007/09/do-we-need-storrow-drive.html

Back