Street Grid vs Higgledy Piggledy

^^I know you addressed it in another thread but what were your thoughts on the Times Sq experiment?

BRILLIANT! But that example only managed traffic, it didn't eliminate traffic entirely. Automobile traffic still flows through Times Sq, just not along Broadway which cuts diagonally through. That place was overflowing with pedestrians so it would have been a shocker if it didn't work.

Pedestrian streets work in plenty of places -- Burlington VT, Santa Monica CA, Jerusalem, Tel Aviv, and medium-sized cities all over Europe (such as Florence and Ghent).

With the glaring exception of Filene's, the pedestrian-only part of DTX is fairly busy and occupied. When I tried to bike through it on that really warm Saturday afternoon last weekend, I had to dismount and walk because there were so many people walking around. The streets that still have cars actually have much more retail vacancy -- Bromfield Street, and Washington Street between School and State streets.

Just curious Ron, do you try to bike down the ped-only area much? I altogether avoid it.

Almost never, but it happened to be right between where I started (Castle Island) and where I was trying to go (Teele Square, via the Esplanade -- also crowded with people)

Back