Suffolk Downs Redevelopment | East Boston/Revere

Does anyone know what kind of retail and entertainment will be here long term? Will there be a movie theater? A lot of the plans I see are very abstract.

Does anyone know what kind of retail and entertainment will be here long term? Will there be a movie theater? A lot of the plans I see are very abstract.
No retail announcements yet, but these guys typically bring in chains to be solid anchors to the neighborhood.
https://bostonrealestatetimes.com/b...-agent-for-beachmont-square-at-suffolk-downs/

1689858089242.png

Cheap, demoralizing architecture. They don’t give a shit and don’t care who knows it.

You gotta feel bad for a third tier city like Boston. Huge opportunities and this is what you get.

Nice to see someone is asking how to bring into the 21st century the failed, failed, failed ideas of 1960s urban planners who dreamed up crappy, Corbu-on-crack, tower-in-the-park buildings for the unworking masses and called them "housing projects." They've modernized that (a little) and may even charge market rate for a bunch of it!

This is a 475 unit apartment building with retail under. The construction cost (construction loan amount) was $150 million. This works out to a construction cost of $315,000 a unit (not factoring in the retail).

Those colors... I dunno.
You're too kind. This is awful, abysmal, atrocious, an all-out assault on aesthetics. The worst part: it was garbage as rendered and burning garbage in reality. Could we really give those in need of affordable housing a bigger middle finger? Will the units be advertised along nostalgic lines? "Remember your grandparents' carpeted bathroom? How about that pedestal sink with cigarette burns on the edge nearest the can? Well pine for 'permanent disconcerting musty smell' no more..."

Really disappointing lack of effort on the first building. Even Assembly and Ink Block started with higher quality materials and designs to allow for good placemaking, and then the later "filler buildings" aren't as nice. This looks like on-sale vinyl siding, and barely an air-sealed building. Hello 60's - will the next building go for perma-stone or masonite?

Really disappointing lack of effort on the first building. Even Assembly and Ink Block started with higher quality materials and designs to allow for good placemaking, and then the later "filler buildings" aren't as nice. This looks like on-sale vinyl siding, and barely an air-sealed building. Hello 60's - will the next building go for perma-stone or masonite?
I am voting for Hardie-board cladding.

I vote this the ugliest development of 2023.
I've seen storage unit buildings built with higher quality materials and style.

Back