Suggestions for stalled developments

And yet Toronto and its citizens seem to be proud of their City Hall. I think it appears on lots of tourist postcards, for instance.

Kenzo Tange's Tokyo Metropolitan Government Building in Shinjuku is quite handsome.

Tokyo_City_Hall-Tower-1-2.jpg

Wow, that's a huge city hall. I mean, LA is a ginormous city, and theirs could fit into the lobby of Buffalo's

After further research, it's just 32 stories (Buffalo) versus 28 stories (LA)....it was an optical illusion (I believe brought on by the colors of the buildings and spacing of the windows) which made Buffalo's look at least twice as tall

Oh, but it's such a perfectly kitschy bar. I think they filmed a scene from "Lost in Translation" there.

If we're gonna do patternbook historicism (for a new City Hall, or anything else), can we please move on from Bulfinch to H.H. Richardson?

Can we skip ahead to art deco? Boston got totally screwed out of that era.

Can we skip ahead to art deco? Boston got totally screwed out of that era.

I think Suffolk Superior is a beautiful building inside and out, though it's now sadly eclipsed by air conditioners and destruction of Scollay Sq.

Oh, there a few gems scattered here and there, but there isn't a signature tower, or art deco district.

what we lack in art deco we more than make up for in brutalism

Back