surrogate tower (completion date: 2017)

eljusticiero67

Reaction score
here is the artist rendering:

surrogate.jpg

the image was taken from the trailer from the new movie "The Surrogate" which takes place in Boston, 2017. They envision a tower like this in the movie (unless this is from a setting in the movie other than boston). But can we imagine this being built?

Are we talking about its design or its size? I say hopefully not and I doubt it, respectively.

And BTW, that's modern-day Houston shown in that shot. <<cue rants on Houston fauxtecture and anti-urbanity>>

The only thing I like about it is the neon lights on the tower.

And BTW, that's modern-day Houston shown in that shot. <<cue rants on Houston fauxtecture and anti-urbanity>>

Hah, I was going to say it looks like it belongs in Dallas. I've never been to Houston.

Speaking of other cities, has anyone been following Philadephia's plan for a 1500 foot tower?

still, id like to see Boston in 2017. maybe by then menino would have completed urban renewal and bulldozed most of the northend.

2017 isn't all that far away. There are a number of possible outcomes concerning different projects, but we should have some idea how things will look in the city in eight years.

I'll say again that this site needs an up-to-date wiki. :)

Sweet Jesus, imagine the wind tunnels, shadows and solar glare that would create!

Anyway, that is actually Dallas. Look to the left and you can see this (http://www.emporis.com/en/il/im/?id=244241) ugly tower.

Plus, look at how suburban it is right outside of downtown.

Well, it does make certain amount of sense.

When I think of cities that could sub in for Boston, Dallas is the first to pop into my mind.

When I think of cities that could sub in for Boston, Dallas is the first to pop into my mind.

The two are virtually identical. You could be walking through the North End and easily mistake it for Deep Ellum. Not to mention the people in Dallas are eerily similar to those in Boston.

It's the Bank of America Plaza, Dallas' tallest building at 921 feet.
http://www.emporis.com/application/?nav=building&lng=3&id=bankofamericaplaza-dallas-tx-usa

I hate when movies inexplicably throw in random shots of other cities. The one that probably pisses me off the most is in Fever Pitch, already one of the worst movies ever made. At the beginning it is showing all these shots of Boston, and then suddenly there is a street shot that looked a little fishy, so I paused it... did some quick identifying and verification... and IT WAS A CLIP OF TORONTO!!!!! Just 1 more reason that all copies of that movie should be destroyed :)

The state organization that's been promoting all this filming should put together a stock image archive so studios don't have to resort to subbing in other cities when they don't want to shell out for an aerial shoot in Boston.

It's a really exciting time for filming here, while we're on the topic. Affleck was shooting a film in Harvard Square a couple days ago ("The Town"), there's another one being filmed around Somerville ("Wichita" - hope it's not actually set there), and another Cambridge shoot planned for later in the fall ("The Social Network," about the founding of Facebook).

The two are virtually identical. You could be walking through the North End and easily mistake it for Deep Ellum. Not to mention the people in Dallas are eerily similar to those in Boston.

I can't tell if you two are serious or not.

I'll give you a hint.

Boston and Dallas are about as polar opposites as American cities can possibly get.

I'll give you a hint.

Boston and Dallas are about as polar opposites as American cities can possibly get.

I've lived in both. I guess I've just seen too much negativity towards Boston on these boards to be sure it was sarcasm and not insanity.

I need to have more faith.

Since it's pretty much part of Dallas, it's worth referencing this line in Wikipedia about Arlington, TX:

Arlington is the largest city in the world without a fixed bus route system of mass transit.

The state organization that's been promoting all this filming should put together a stock image archive so studios don't have to resort to subbing in other cities when they don't want to shell out for an aerial shoot in Boston.

I like when the TV show fringe (filmed in Toronto) shows aerial shots of Boston. I pause it to try and figure out when the shots were taken. Most seem to be from 2002ish.

It's a really exciting time for filming here, while we're on the topic. Affleck was shooting a film in Harvard Square a couple days ago ("The Town"), there's another one being filmed around Somerville ("Wichita" - hope it's not actually set there), and another Cambridge shoot planned for later in the fall ("The Social Network," about the founding of Facebook).

Yea they've been filming a lot lately. I usually walk from South Station to the Hancock Tower each morning via Boston Common and the Comm Ave Mall. Yesterday they wouldn't let me walk in the Mall because "They were just about to start shooting a bike scene". When I looked towards the other end there was a boatload of bikes getting ready to ride down (who the hell rides a shitload of bikes down the Comm Ave Mall?). There were tons of extras, cameras, etc, it was pretty cool.

Then this morning they were filming there again. I was allowed to walk down the Mall but they were filming towards the skyline with the George Washington statue in the Public Gardens in the foreground.

Ah, Dallas -- not Houston. How could I have ever gotten them mixed up?!?

Back