Tea Party and Smart Growth

If shipping companies see fit to register their vessels to other countries for financial reasons why should we fit the bill to protect them?

Because they carry imported things that we enjoy consuming and/or carry away US exports? There's a reason they're docked here, after all...

Maybe this manna from beyond is not so cheap after all.

Because they carry imported things that we enjoy consuming and/or carry away US exports? There's a reason they're docked here, after all...

I think they need to sell shit to us far more than we need to buy it. Our food is home grown, giving us the ability to go a month or two w/o a new shipment of flat screens. Its the flascreen company that can't afford to stop shipping to the US. And the US should not have to defend all the seas so the rest of the world can do business.

Last edited:
I think the sentiment may be understandable, but the fact is that the global economy is far more interconnected than most people seem to realize, given the above quotes.

Global trade is interwoven and complex. But somethings are simple. In trade both sides benefit, either you get a good/service or money. If it is the case that we provide naval protection for US to trade w/ Asian counties and both sides benefit , than both sides should pay for security. Also the blanket of protection also allows other countries to trade w/ each other and US gets nothing from that. If for example we withdraw from Asian waters and security is comprimised trade would suffer. Followed immediately by Asian counties picking up the slack, and bill. My theory is based on the assumption that we are currently the only ones providing security for merchant ships.

And your point is a good one. My only thought is that fair or not the system we have can't be changed in a day. It would cause more global economic issues...not what we need. The best idea would have been to never get into this situation. I don't have the answer, but I do know that if you pull on one string in the global economic system, it is attached to more than one knot.

Back