Teenagers and their $

TC

Reaction score
TheBostonBoy said:
TC said:
1) Teenagers don't spend money.

Actually, that is completely wrong. In economics 2 years ago we talked about this topic. Statistically, it turns out teenagers are the age group that spend the most money.

I'd be interested in the specifics of those economics. It could be spending as a percentage of overall income? Or does it not take into account that teenagers are really just spending there could be parents money?

BarbaricManchurian said:
TheBostonBoy said:
TC said:
1) Teenagers don't spend money.

Actually, that is completely wrong. In economics 2 years ago we talked about this topic. Statistically, it turns out teenagers are the age group that spend the most money.

Yeah, that seems right. Everyone in my school bus except me has an iPod (and most people have the latest one) so that's a lot of money being spent. Luckily in my school there isn't really a fashion snob culture, so no one competes to get the best clothes, but I was ridiculed once for having only one pair of sneakers. But how do you count teenagers spending money? Is it parents buying stuff for the kids or parents giving money to the teens and they spend it or teens earning money and spending it?

Since ipods are associated with teenagers..... why didn't the Apple Store pick a Downtown Crossing location? It goes back to my original point that this area in not currently a viable retail location for many stores.

I'm fifteen. I spend money that I got by working. Not my parents money. I have to pay my parents upwards of $150 a week, because unlike many a snobby friend, I bought my own 420 (a sailboat, popularly raced in Mass Bay, by both clubs and high schools). Most teenagers I know spend their own money when they are out, even if they don't have a job they make money by doing chores for their parents, or babysitting. One of my friends actually started his own business. Just making a point...

kennedy said:
I'm fifteen. I spend money that I got by working. Not my parents money. I have to pay my parents upwards of $150 a week, because unlike many a snobby friend, I bought my own 420 (a sailboat, popularly raced in Mass Bay, by both clubs and high schools). Most teenagers I know spend their own money when they are out, even if they don't have a job they make money by doing chores for their parents, or babysitting. One of my friends actually started his own business. Just making a point...

Ya, same here. my parents don't give me money anymore, I get money from my job and i spend it on things I do (movies, etc) and I also save a lot, so I can buy a car soon. I'm getting my license tomorrow! woo hoo! :D

TC said:
I'd be interested in the specifics of those economics. It could be spending as a percentage of overall income? Or does it not take into account that teenagers are really just spending there could be parents money?

Well, when we were talking about this, my teacher was referring to the teenagers with jobs mostly. We were talking about the teen age group of 16-18 because almost every teen in this age group get's a job and works, and spend their own money on whatever they need. we also discussed why it is easier for teens like us to spend money because we are pretty much living for free, besides a few minor taxes. I mean, we are living in our houses for free since our parents pay for it, and we hardly get taxed, except maybe on paychecks. While we are under our parents roof still, we aren't paying for a lot, so we have all the money we earn to spend otherwise on goods and services. Does that help you see where it is coming from on a teens part?

Back