Thank you WAAF

kingofsheeba

Reaction score
1970-2020. Perfect way to go out with the first song they played back in 1970 when they went on the air. Black Sabbath by Black Sabbath.

WAAF stopped being good in the early-mid 2000s

It's odd that there's no true rock stations left in metro Boston that I can think of. It used to be a sliding scale where WFNX was alternative, WAAF was closer to metal, and WBCN was a middle ground between the two. Of course, much of what all of them played in the heyday is classic rock now, but I liked hearing the newer stuff more.

WAAF "CRANK IT UP!" used to broadcast exclusively from Worcester. I once asked my if it would be possible for us to move there. As a kid I would go up on the roof, find the perfect spot, and aim my antenna westward. Another good station was 94.5 WCOZ- "KICK-ASS ROCK AND ROLL" from the early 70s to the mid 80s. It was kind of what WHJY in Providence and Rock 101 in Manchester is today.

It's odd that there's no true rock stations left in metro Boston that I can think of. It used to be a sliding scale where WFNX was alternative, WAAF was closer to metal, and WBCN was a middle ground between the two. Of course, much of what all of them played in the heyday is classic rock now, but I liked hearing the newer stuff more.

92.9 is general rock these days. It's not "80s, 90s, and Now" anymore.

Rock/metal is kind of dead as a genre. Mainstream moved on from rock a decade ago and really the only people who seem to enjoy metal are nerds (myself included).

There's literally not a single (non-talk) radio station left that I care to listen to anymore. The loss of WBOS as an alt-rock station was the last one. Now it plays the same crap as everyone else. Do I really need to be able to catch Steve Miller Band or Billy Squier on THREE stations simultaneously? Can't we have just one alternative station? The saddest though was a few years back when we lost WBRU.... to Christian music of all things. For three days I was driving around going "WTF?" until I googled it. Sad.

And yes, I too remember those heady days in the 80's when you could flip around between WHJY, WCOZ, WBCN, and WAAF and there way always something good on somewhere.

Unfortunately for WAAF, it finished 2019 with a .8 (AQH) share.
WAAF "CRANK IT UP!" used to broadcast exclusively from Worcester. I once asked my if it would be possible for us to move there. As a kid I would go up on the roof, find the perfect spot, and aim my antenna westward.

Moving its Community of License (COL) from Worcester to Westborough allowed WAAF to migrate from the Worcester Metro Survey Area (#118 at present) to the much larger Boston MSA (#10 at present). Although the transmitter was moved from Asnebumskit Hill in Paxton to the WUNI tower on Stiles Hill in Boylston, its signal remained a rimshot in Boston. (Owing to a southeasterly null, the new pattern reduced signal strength in areas like Dorchester, Mattapan, and Hyde Park.)

While WAAF may be gone from 107.3 MHz, its ghost now haunts the airwaves at Entercom's WEEI 93.7 HD-2 and WWBX 104.1 HD-2. (It can also be streamed online.)

Last edited:
There's literally not a single (non-talk) radio station left that I care to listen to anymore. The loss of WBOS as an alt-rock station was the last one. Now it plays the same crap as everyone else. Do I really need to be able to catch Steve Miller Band or Billy Squier on THREE stations simultaneously? Can't we have just one alternative station? The saddest though was a few years back when we lost WBRU.... to Christian music of all things. For three days I was driving around going "WTF?" until I googled it. Sad.

You're right on that one.

Back