The Alcott (née Garden Garage Towers) | 35 Lomasney Way | West End

C33D941F-DFDB-432A-8129-97B79D2754C5.jpeg

I hate to say it, but I'm really not a fan of this building. It just looks so.... dated? The light colored precast, the triple height windows, the colors of the glass. It's very mid 2000s. It would be a fine background building but it is just so prominent and so... soulless.

I hate to say it, but I'm really not a fan of this building. It just looks so.... dated? The light colored precast, the triple height windows, the colors of the glass. It's very mid 2000s. It would be a fine background building but it is just so prominent and so... soulless.

you accurately describe it as a background building, which is what it is -- despite it's "prominent" location. it's fine.

I have a “feeling” aka a render lol that this is going to serve its place as a background building. Look at how much taller one congress is than north station tower. Its going to draw your eye to the tip of one congress from the north of downtown.
2716bb02dfc1a7f1272fc8c7aeb1bf2c.jpg

I have a “feeling” aka a render lol that this is going to serve its place as a background building. Look at how much taller one congress is than north station tower. Its going to draw your eye to the tip of one congress from the north of downtown.
2716bb02dfc1a7f1272fc8c7aeb1bf2c.jpg
Exactly. It’ll definitely change the whole feel of the west end. It’s a perfect design for its place in the city. Also watch for the new N. Washington St. (Charlestown) bridge running parallel to the Zakim to replace that old metal truss bridge shown above. Should add some nice complementary design and make the freedom trail a lot better.

^You know if One Congress was half the width, it would appear to be taller than it is. Some many buildings seem to be a lot shorter than they are due to their girth for lack of a better word, lol. 200 Clarendon is like that as well but I guess office buildings you need as much floor space as you need...still imagine if 200 clarendon was thinner and 1200 feet tall instead of under 800.

*sigh*

^You know if One Congress was half the width, it would appear to be taller than it is. Some many buildings seem to be a lot shorter than they are due to their girth for lack of a better word, lol. 200 Clarendon is like that as well but I guess office buildings you need as much floor space as you need...still imagine if 200 clarendon was thinner and 1200 feet tall instead of under 800.

*sigh*
Yeah, matter of personal taste. I don’t think 600 foot buildings should try to look tall. I like that it will have a big presence in the city and really define the government center area. Boston’s skyline is just different, we’re never going to have a Steinway tower here.

I wonder how the building will be lit. Anyone with renders? I’m not a big fan of the Avalon but the lighting on it makes it look great at night. Particularly the racing stripe up the side. Lighting is an underrated design aspect on arch. Could be it’s own thread.

Back