The Aubrey | 149-153 Newbury Street | Back Bay

This project and the buzz cut given to what could have been is just soooooooo Old Boston mentality, it's embarrassing.

As Buffalo Springfield would put it: " Step out of line, the men come and take you away".

Well, this is Back Bay after all. They have never seen a six story "tower" they couldn't cut back to five. [Clutch pearls! Horrors! Shadows!]

It fits. It respects its neighbors. It doesn't do harm to one of our most beloved streets. Homerun? Maybe not. But sometimes being a quiet and thoughtful neighbor is a good thing. Not every new creation in our beautiful city needs to be a design standout.

However, that being said, if materials are not up to snuff, not high quality, I'll be happy to revisit this...

It fits. It respects its neighbors. It doesn't do harm to one of our most beloved streets. Homerun? Maybe not. But sometimes being a quiet and thoughtful neighbor is a good thing.

But option #3 did all that and more!

^ and who knows if there are more changes to come...

And so it now starts going up - - without it's earlier planned "corner entrance smile". :cry:

RIP to what could have been:

1644352032293.png

Last edited:
Catherine Carlock just moved to the Globe from BBJ, and this is one of her first pieces. It definitely has more of an “strictly business” / “industry” tone than other Globe real estate reporting, so it’ll interesting to see how Globe coverage changes with her on board.

Catherine Carlock just moved to the Globe from BBJ, and this is one of her first pieces. It definitely has more of an “strictly business” / “industry” tone than other Globe real estate reporting, so it’ll interesting to see how Globe coverage changes with her on board.

I have found Carlock's twitter feed excellent and a GREAT read. This is a very good move for the Globe as it really could use some more depth to their business and RE section. For a big-time paper in one of the most booming cities on earth, it had gotten very small time. Hopefully, hiring Catherine Carlock is a good harbinger.

I have found Carlock's twitter feed excellent and quite timely. This is a very good move for the Globe as it really could use some more depth to their business and RE section. For a big-time paper it has gotten very small time. Hopefully, hiring Catherine Carlock is a good harbinger.

I'm also a big fan, though I unfollowed her because I was tired of hearing about the Tontine Crescent.

A $56M construction loan probably indicates an all in cost of close to $2000/SF for the 43,500 SF building... WOW!

Is this the first completely ground-up new building to be built on Newbury Street in most of our lifetimes? I can't recall any in my 40ish years.

Is this the first completely ground-up new building to be built on Newbury Street in most of our lifetimes? I can't recall any in my 40ish years.

200 Newbury was built in 1997

Back