The Bryant - 301-319 Columbus Avenue

Shepard is right regarding condos. But to Itchy's point, you can get an affordable rental unit even if you're a couple years out of college. I had a buddy with a degree from UMass and a good job who moved into Tent City after we graduated college.

But if I was viewing it as a home and not as an investment vehicle, I'd be able to get a nice subsidized home that wasn't intended for me... You see this with the upper middle-class Mitchell-Lama bluehairs who are worth hundreds of thousands and freak out when their regulated rent goes up to $150 per month.

Not that you can blame them; it's the whole idea of the state subsidizing housing (and forcing it in every new development) that's to be blamed. Whenever you have a spoils system, it's going to be abused, act as a disincentive to better behavior, and ultimately be yet another unsustainable cost.

Itchy - Yes, the BRA and/or management company will certify your income on an annual basis. I assume if you no longer qualify you would be forced to sell or be unable to renew a lease.

Also, there are a lot of things to keep in mind when applying. First of all, you have to be able to front the down payment on your own, no one can help you. They require you divulge all your financial info, tax returns, pay stubs, etc. So you can't get the down payment from your folks or have a ridiculous trust fund (+1).

I have a sweet BRA AHC spot.

Back