The Casco | 201 Federal Street | Portland

I've heard talk about moving the John Ford statue. Few see it where it currently is. Put it in the 201 Federal plaza... "The John Ford Building," (has some strength to it) and give it a little movie theme for the inside... Six Oscars. There is a lot of pertinent history during his time, and so put some photos in the lobby and lounges. It's now a helpful marketing angle. Wannabe filmmakers are everywhere. Other than Longfellow, who from Portland has accomplished more? Stop all the native Indian placation and do something that has more resonance. And maybe McDreamy can speak at the dedication. I'll bet he would. Invite Tony Shalhoub and Anna Kendrick too. Now it's fun. It's also a P.R. release that will be picked up. Redfern, it's YOUR building. Own it.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Ford

Last edited:
TC, we could take your idea and step it up a notch and call it "The Stephen King Building" seeing Portland was his birthplace. Talk about some creative ideas and decor options for the lobby and the building would become an instant Halloween shrine with Christine parked out front! Both names sound too much like Federal courthouses and government office buildings and would cause Redfern to spend even more money on rooftop signage due to the huge increase in letters. You forgot Judd Nelson and Patrick Dempsey is from Lewiston and it wouldn't be fair to steal him for a Portland dedication. :)

Last edited:
I've heard talk about moving the John Ford statue. Few see it where it currently is. Put it in the 201 Federal plaza... "The John Ford Building," (has some strength to it) and give it a little movie theme for the inside... Six Oscars. There is a lot of pertinent history during his time, and so put some photos in the lobby and lounges. It's now a helpful marketing angle. Wannabe filmmakers are everywhere. Other than Longfellow, who from Portland has accomplished more? Stop all the native Indian placation and do something that has more resonance. And maybe McDreamy can speak at the dedication. I'll bet he would. Invite Tony Shalhoub and Anna Kendrick too. Now it's fun. It's also a P.R. release that will be picked up. Redfern, it's YOUR building. Own it.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Ford
And the majority of younger folks would be asking who the hell John Ford is. Personally I was raised on John Ford films but I am also a boomer (barely ... lol). "The John Ford Building" would be DOA with the majority of folks to whom these apartments would be marketed.

And the majority of younger folks would be asking who the hell John Ford is. Personally I was raised on John Ford films but I am also a boomer (barely ... lol). "The John Ford Building" would be DOA with the majority of folks to whom these apartments would be marketed.
It's not so much about Ford as it is with film history during this era. It can be a big feel-good with a touch of creativity added. Josh Miranda with Blyth & Burrows and Henry's doesn't seem to be repelling 20 and 30-somethings from their integrated history themes with his bars. In fact, it's the opposite. It's how you do it. Otherwise, let's change all the old naming that is used in Portland, e.g., Washington Ave and Longfellow Square with Henry sitting in a chair (love that red bow wrapped present and scarf thing someone does during the holidays--creative), and so on. Do younger people avoid driving on Washington Ave. because of its name? Maybe they do, I don't know. I think younger people can handle it. They simply need a nudge. Even TikTok can get boring. And Redfern's Hiawatha apartment building doesn't seem to have a problem attracting renters, or does it? (Actually, interestingly Longfellow could have been the first rapper. He recited his poem The Song of Hiawatha accompanied by a small orchestra once, and thus, maybe it became something on the Hamilton idea. Hey, Broadway are you listening?)

Last edited:
It's not so much about Ford as it is with film history during this era. It can be a big feel-good with a touch of creativity added. Josh Miranda with Blyth & Burrows and Henry's doesn't seem to be repelling 20 and 30-somethings from their integrated history themes with his bars. In fact, it's the opposite. It's how you do it. Otherwise, let's change all the old naming that is used in Portland, e.g., Washington Ave and Longfellow Square with Henry sitting in a chair (love that red bow wrapped present and scarf thing someone does during the holidays--creative), and so on. Do younger people avoid driving on Washington Ave. because of its name? Maybe they do, I don't know. I think younger people can handle it. They simply need a nudge. Even TikTok can get boring. And Redfern's Hiawatha apartment building doesn't seem to have a problem attracting renters, or does it? (Actually, interestingly Longfellow could have been the first rapper. He recited his poem The Song of Hiawatha accompanied by a small orchestra once, and thus, maybe it became something on the Hamilton idea. Hey, Broadway are you listening?)
Your counter argument is ridiculous. Trying to market a building full of apartments under the John Ford name is asking for failure. Unless you are an old film buff you have no clue who he was. "Blyth and Burrows" and "Henry's" can be catchy names for an establishment without patrons knowing or caring where the names originated as long as the business concept is alluring. There is nothing alluring or catchy about "John Ford".

Hell, Portland High hasn't even put a sign on the John Ford Auditorium. So far as moving the memorial (there's not just the statue, there's the giant disc covering his movies) goes, I understand it's in a weird spot, but that's the neighborhood where he grew up and his father's bar was. I'm not sure where would be more appropriate or visible.

Your counter argument is ridiculous. Trying to market a building full of apartments under the John Ford name is asking for failure. Unless you are an old film buff you have no clue who he was. "Blyth and Burrows" and "Henry's" can be catchy names for an establishment without patrons knowing or caring where the names originated as long as the business concept is alluring. There is nothing alluring or catchy about "John Ford".
Filmmaker John? (Trader Joe's), or John the Filmmaker. Planet Ford. John Ford for Younger Folks. John A. Fordable. John Ford, Jr.

Are people signing leases based on whether this is called the John Ford Building.....or the Beyonce Building?

IMG_5090.jpeg

I think we're getting close to the point where we'll have 2-way traffic on Temple and Federal!

The Casco, or Casco Plaza, sounds good to me. Lorelei is a reference to a myth about a siren luring sailors to their doom, probably not a good omen in this city. Azimuth is a nice oblique maritime reference, but it's kind of an ugly word, at least to me.

Lorelei. I like it. You could put some cool related old pictures and drawings up on the walls of the rooftop lounge. It's intriguing and creates a conversation. What you DON'T want to be is boring. It's the first thing you learn with storytelling (in H-Wood, anyway).

Origin: German. Meaning: relating to a rocky cliff on the Rhine river. Lorelei, a German girl's name, was originally used to refer to a rocky cliff on the river Rhine. According to legend, a maiden named Lorelei would sit on this outcropping and sing, luring fishermen to their deaths in the treacherous pass.

The next question becomes, why? Why did she do this? Do not pander. Own it. Own what you want. It's a cool idea name. Elon Musk doesn't care what people think. That's why he's Elon Musk. Think about it.

Lorelei and Azimuth? Save yourself further embarrassment and just go with The Casco if those are your other options. Yeesh!

Back