The Cove | Green Street | Worcester

A4BA2A9F-098D-4C39-8769-76D2A6272F46.jpeg

I went to a coffee shop in Kelley Square and, say what you will about the economics of the stadium in and of itself, but this area has completely transformed from when I would stumble around the dive bars over here. This building has created a whole new scale for the neighborhood and when it opens should add to the new vibrancy of the area.

Attachments

• 20231122_152717.jpg
    20231122_152717.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 53
I went to a coffee shop in Kelley Square and, say what you will about the economics of the stadium in and of itself, but this area has completely transformed from when I would stumble around the dive bars over here. This building has created a whole new scale for the neighborhood and when it opens should add to the new vibrancy of the area.
I miss the dive bars, especially, Dive Bar. Forget the dive that was right on Kelley Sq, went to it once or twice.

Yup, Hotel Vernon is still there. The Banner is still there. Dive Bar would still be there except the owner of the building refused to renew the lease or something because another business wanted to move in. The building has of course been vacant for several years since. Brilliant work there. Steel and Wire (formerly Nick's) is still open but they need to sort out their performance license / fire code issues. I've been a couple times over the past year and it's not as busy as the Nick's days.

Reactions: FK4
Yup, Hotel Vernon is still there. The Banner is still there. Dive Bar would still be there except the owner of the building refused to renew the lease or something because another business wanted to move in. The building has of course been vacant for several years since. Brilliant work there. Steel and Wire (formerly Nick's) is still open but they need to sort out their performance license / fire code issues. I've been a couple times over the past year and it's not as busy as the Nick's days.

The former Dive Bar is not vacant. Another dive called The Sundown run by the Deadhorse folks is there now. They've kept it the same pretty much.

The owners didn't renew the lease because they wanted to open a family restaurant but then covid happened and I guess they loss their appetite. I loved the dive bar too, what a waste

Reactions: FK4
dive bar was the best. So cool sitting out in summer with the trains going by. Creegans pub is gone I heard, that I would not miss

I miss the dive bars, especially, Dive Bar.
At the period of my life when I frequented the Dive Bar and/or Sir Morgan's Cove, I was rarely in a condition to take stock of the surroundings. It wasn't until many years later that it wasn't just a dive bar, but there was actually some amount of nautical theming as well.

Also, RIP Tortilla Sam's. That place was my Cheers. They knew me by name.

At the period of my life when I frequented the Dive Bar and/or Sir Morgan's Cove, I was rarely in a condition to take stock of the surroundings. It wasn't until many years later that it wasn't just a dive bar, but there was actually some amount of nautical theming as well.

Also, RIP Tortilla Sam's. That place was my Cheers. They knew me by name.

I mean it wasn't really a dive bar in the traditional sense of that word other than that it was dark inside. Dive bars don't have a rotating menu of $10 artisinal craft IPAs hand picked by the owner who is a known beer geek and also owns the legendary Armsby Abbey. It was always a nautical themed bar with a dark feel and an upscale hipster crowd.

Hotel Vernon, now that's a dive bar.

Back