The Cove | Green Street | Worcester

Would have loved to see another high rise in Worcester, guess I'll have to wait.

88198071-665F-4C09-AEEC-C605AEB1597D.jpeg
B9C5C2CD-52E4-43DA-BF1C-E4C13A4752D9.jpeg
F9CE7235-1FCE-4B15-A172-7F45E357CB38.jpeg
DC0DF543-68C1-4ACE-ACAE-B2E005120145.jpeg
996678CC-3622-4F78-B70F-F710EE8BBE7E.jpeg

From the link, the Cove will have only 99 parking spaces for 171 apartments made up of studio, one-bedroom, and two-bedroom units. That ratio of parking to residents in the downtown of a city such as Worcester where a car is a necessity seems problematic. Several Canal district restaurants have recently closed with parking concerns often cited as a contributing reason. What will be the impact when a new resdiential complex with scant parking is opened?

From the link, the Cove will have only 99 parking spaces for 171 apartments made up of studio, one-bedroom, and two-bedroom units. That ratio of parking to residents in the downtown of a city such as Worcester where a car is a necessity seems problematic. Several Canal district restaurants have recently closed with parking concerns often cited as a contributing reason. What will be the impact when a new resdiential complex with scant parking is opened?

Idk, if there's anywhere in Worcester where one could conceivably live car-lite or car free, it's the Canal District. I lived there back in the 2010s and had a car, but rarely used it--walked to work and pretty much everything else I needed except for groceries.

Idk, if there's anywhere in Worcester where one could conceivably live car-lite or car free, it's the Canal District. I lived there back in the 2010s and had a car, but rarely used it--walked to work and pretty much everything else I needed except for groceries.

I can walk to the Canal District, my gym and my office from my home, and have done so time to time

This building will have 171 apartments which means a minimum of 171 residents. With many couples living there along with some apartments being two bedrooms, I would expect over 300 total residents. Given I don't think many families will live there, I would think most all its residents would be of driving age range. One parking space for some 3 residents in an area where there are already existing parking issues seems out of whack. While you can walk to many things, most people will still need and have autos.

Last edited:

The groceries problem is a legitimate problem over there. That area is really going to need something like a Whole Foods or Trade Joe's at a minimum in the near future. I really don't think it's realistic to expect people to live car-free in Worcester, the city isn't laid out for it, and getting to the point where it is dense enough in certain areas to support a car-free lifestyle is a huge decade+ project.

The groceries problem is a legitimate problem over there. That area is really going to need something like a Whole Foods or Trade Joe's at a minimum in the near future.

It's not that there aren't empty or underused lots with adjacent empty lots for parking downtown or in the Canal district. Or if the city wants to get creative:
denholm_joe.png

Back