The growth of a thoughtful city (Boston Globe, 08/16/2010)

Beton Brut

Reaction score
The growth of a thoughtful city

After a visit to the fast-paced construction in China, Boston feels like heaven
By Carlo Rotella
August 16, 2010

WHEN I return to Boston from traveling in China, I feel as if I?m coming back to a country estate, peaceful and green, where change happens in measured and carefully considered ways. It?s probably not the first image that comes to mind when you think of this city, but a little time in China could well alter your view.

I was in China again this summer, and the impression of dynamic forward movement there is stronger than ever. Cities are growing so fast and by such heroically scaled leaps and bounds that even savvy longtime residents can get disoriented. A government employee whose business takes him all over Anhui province told me, ?If you work in the office for a couple of months, when you go out in the cities everything?s different. I went to pick up my wife at the train station in my own home town, and I couldn?t find it.??

Even second- and third-tier provincial cities like Huangshi and Luan ? the Worcesters and Springfields of China ? boast brand-new airports that put dowdy, dingy Logan to shame; massively transformative highway projects that make the Big Dig look like overpriced cosmetic surgery; bullet train service that makes Amtrak?s Acela look like a musket ball fired underwater; and forests of new high-rises, going up 20 and 30 at a time, that make even the most hotly debated development in Boston seem modest by comparison.

The cost of that growth is equally apparent. As a recent study commissioned by the Chinese government points out, all those construction projects add clouds of grit to the pollution pouring out of all the new cars on all those new roads and out of the coal-burning plants that provide power to the growing cities. The air?s bad, the water?s worse, and cityscapes are harsh studies in shades of gray.

When I get back from China I no longer take it for granted that I can walk with my kids down our street past trees, yards, and lawns to a park with a playground in it. Other newly appreciated daily pleasures: you can take a deep breath and not cough; you can drink tap water; you can swim without undue worry in various bodies of water around the region. If the Charles River, which most locals still regard as toxic, flowed through Wuhan or Chengdu, it would draw swimmers in packs ? from kids (in the rare moments when they weren?t in school) to the ubiquitous hardy senior citizens who would perform slow tai chi movements and slap their limbs to promote circulation before plunging in.

Some of the dramatic contrasts between Boston and Chinese cities can be chalked up to differences in wealth and function. Boston?s a relatively rich post-industrial metropolis, a service and research center with its factory era mostly in its past; the cities of China are industrial centers, still relatively poor even as they fill the world?s orders for manufactured goods while absorbing an epic folk migration from rural hinterlands.

But some of the difference also has to do with civic culture, another aspect of life here for which I gain fresh appreciation each time I return from China. Michael Rawson, a historian at Brooklyn College and author of the new book ?Eden on the Charles: The Making of Boston,?? put it this way: ?It?s always hard to say that there?s a particular culture in one city that?s had continuity over centuries, but it?s more possible to say it of Boston. It?s a place where the search for environmental permanence was born, at least for America, versus just tearing things down. Boston led the charge in developing an appreciation of historical land and historical buildings.??

?Eden on the Charles?? traces the rise in the 19th century of a set of related impulses: to control the destruction of land and buildings in the course of business as usual, to create a viable relationship between the city and nature, to determine whether amenities such as clean water are a privilege or a right. It?s not a story of tree-hugging idealism. Rather, it?s one of political and cultural contest, with nature in play in struggles between Brahmins and immigrants, Boston and surrounding communities, private profit-makers and defenders of the public interest.

The result, Rawson explained to me, is that in 19th-century Boston there developed a lasting new civic priority: ?to manage inevitable change and to balance it with what?s already here.?? It became an important value that passed from elite culture into general circulation, marking a major change in American urbanism. ?Up until then,?? said Rawson, ?urban Americans had expected to live in a state of endless environmental change.??

Rawson?s book helped me understand why Boston seems old and well-preserved in comparison to Chinese cities that are much older, some of them well over 1,000 years older, but feel as if they were built with slipshod haste within living memory. If Boston sometimes feels pokey when compared to them, it also feels more humane. That?s not just because American society in general is more affluent. Boston?s quality of comparatively slow, thoughtful continuity with its own past also has roots in a distinctive civic culture. That culture can be contentious and frustrating, and it doesn?t always produce the right result (the example of Government Center leaps to mind), but we should appreciate it as a crucial element of a livable city.

Carlo Rotella is director of American Studies at Boston College. His column appears regularly in the Globe.

Isn't this conveniently leaving out that Boston torn down large swaths of its old urban fabric all at once about 50 years ago?

Well, I for one am flabergasted that Boston has changed less within recent memory than overnight Chinese cities. It was also very interesting to hear the difference between Chinese cities and Boston. Somehow I thought that China's rapidly changing urban fabric was a result of that country's spectacular growth and global trade, but I was heartened to learn that Boston is different primarily because it invented the concept of "to manage inevitable change and to balance it with what?s already here.?? Brilliant! Go Boston! I was also confused about whether air quality was better in a third world rapidly developing country, or in Boston. I'm glad to hear Boston - thanks for clearing that up. I hope this city never changes, and as an added bonus I hope our airports stay dingy and our trains stay slow and underfunded.

This is parochial even for an American Studies professor. Jeezus.

A possible companion piece to the one above, from Sunday's Globe. It's about taxation but it's as much about the future of our cities, I think.

The (too) easy road to tax cuts
By Tom Keane
Boston Globe Sunday Magazine
August 15, 2010

Oh, what a wonderful world it would be without taxes ? kind of like world peace but cheaper. And two initiative questions on the ballot this November tantalizingly offer a step toward this utopia. But wait. Is that a chasm below? The joys of government-bashing notwithstanding (something I?m hardly averse to), this is an opportunity best not seized.

A year ago, faced with a looming deficit, the Legislature passed and the governor signed a measure featuring two significant tax hikes. One boosted the sales tax from 5 percent to 6.25 percent. The second eliminated alcohol?s historic exemption from the sales tax, making it subject to that same 6.25 percent. (The tax law also had other revenue measures, including a ?local option? meals tax. So far, Boston and 111 other communities have taken up the offer.)

But what the Legislature imposes the people can take back, and in the wake of the hikes there was immediate talk of repeal. This took form over the past few months in signature drives to, first, make alcohol tax-free again and, next, to reduce the sales tax. The proposed cut in the sales tax, however, is not merely to its previous level of 5 percent, but instead down to 3 percent. Once Labor Day has passed, look for an onslaught of ads on those questions ? respectively, numbers 1 and 3 on the ballot ? to dominate local media.

Recent polls suggest that both questions stand a better than even chance of winning, and it?s little wonder. Aside from the simple economics (paying less is better than paying more), anti-tax fever now infects our politics. Death taxes (the rebranded estate tax) undercut the creation of wealth. Income taxes discourage work. Capital gains taxes hamper investment. Sales taxes hurt consumers. Property taxes unfairly hit those with little disposable income. Corporate taxes are a drag on growth. Payroll taxes chill job creation. The logic of all of these arguments points in one direction: Get rid of them all.

Yet even the most extreme anti-taxers concede that, at some level, the money has to come from somewhere. Since every tax has its downside, the real issue has to do with the size and effectiveness of state government. If it?s too big, then it ? and the taxes we pay ? should be reduced. But the converse is true as well. If we want government to do more, then we have to raise taxes to pay for it.

Should the two initiative questions pass, total state revenues will drop by at least $2.5 billion, a goodly amount in an annual state budget of $29.4 billion. Presumably those voting for the measures are not inviting legislators to make up the cuts through some other, new taxes. They are instead saying that they believe state government should be cut.

But where? The by-now tired answer is ?waste, fraud, and abuse,? and doubtless there is some of that around. Look, for example, at the Legislature?s ultimate refusal to tackle municipal employee health care expenses or the patronage outrages at the state Probation Department. But a couple of examples don?t mean there are thousands of them. Frantic state officials and various do-gooders, desperate to avoid spending cuts on education and health care, have been combing the books for other such opportunities. The fact they haven?t been found suggests maybe they really aren?t there.

Of course, we could simply do less. That?s a fair point. Stop sending money to cities and towns for their schools and you?d save $3.9 billion. Health care for seniors is another $2.5 billion. Or go after smaller stuff: Housing vouchers are $36 million; workforce training is $11.5 million. Rolling back the size of government effectively means rolling back those programs, yet you don?t see many anti-taxers urging us to stick it to kids, seniors, the homeless, and the unemployed. Far from it. What they offer up seems easy and guilt-free: We just pay less! But simple cuts to state revenues are a mindless and blunt instrument. I can?t tell you that every existing government program is worth its while. But I do believe it?s on that side of the equation ? deciding what government should or should not do ? where this debate should play out. That?s why these ballot questions deserve to fail.

Tom Keane is a frequent contributor to the Globe Magazine. E-mail him at tomkeane@tomkeane.com.

If Boston sometimes feels pokey when compared to them, it also feels more humane. That?s not just because American society in general is more affluent. Boston?s quality of comparatively slow, thoughtful continuity with its own past also has roots in a distinctive civic culture.

The immortal words of a dying culture. They're dynamic, but we're sophisticated. They're powerful, but we're graceful. First Athens, then Rome, Paris, London. The denial of decline.

The immortal words of a dying culture. They're dynamic, but we're sophisticated. They're powerful, but we're graceful. First Athens, then Rome, Paris, London. The denial of decline.

I think we can hold off on the funeral dirge. You're expressing the same kind of sentiment people had regarding the USSR in the 1930's relative to the U.S. and Japan in the 1980's vis a vis America.

China's growth is not America's malignant tumor.

I understand London and Paris are no longer the seats to the empires they once were, but as modern cities they seem to be holding their own.

Detroit might be a better example.

For that matter, Athens and Rome still seem to be pretty well-populated and vital. Athens hosted a Summer Olympics in 2004.

^ Not to be the contrarian, Ron, but Athens also hosted labor riots earlier this year.

Americans needs to learn that all the answers aren't of our authorship. There's a lot to be learned from Asian societies. There's something to be said about having a societal sense of purpose, something we haven't truly had in America since WWII. It begins with parenting and education, but that's a whole 'nuther conversation...

Let's not get dramatic. We aren't Detroit. Sometimes we all get lost in Boston's faults because we examine it on such a detailed, daily basis and have a tendency to romanticize the happenings of other cities.

Boston has some elite company.
http://www.foreignpolicy.com/node/373401

The idea isn't "where are we now". It's "what direction are we headed in".

If we're headed towards Paris, Prague, Amsterdam, Antwerp, Ghent, and other such slow-growing but beautiful cities ... that seems fine to me.

^^We don't have quite the bones they do, unfortunately.

Ron, I think those of us interested in human-centered urban environments would agree with your observation. But I think you'd agree that in general, the quality of what gets built in Greater Boston (purpose, design, and materials) is of a decidedly lower order than what we may find in comparably sized cities in Europe.

And statler, our bones are not as old as any of the cities Ron mentioned, but some of them were forever altered by WWII; the atmosphere and attitude in European cities today invites vision and quality. The intellectual toddlers ensconced in City Hall are only capable of maintaining the status quo, thus keeping themselves in office.

Originally Posted by czsz
London's the capital of everything.

You people are taking "London," etc., too literally. I listed these cities as synecdoches of dead empires.

I hope to see the US join the list of dead empires during my lifetime. Imperialism is expensive and unnecessary; we're better off without an empire. I don't think the Dutch miss their empire much these days.

Those are nice platitudes about empires, Ron. They'd be pretty convincing in a vacuum. I hope you enjoy the coming Chinese century, though.

Those are nice platitudes about empires, Ron. They'd be pretty convincing in a vacuum. I hope you enjoy the coming Chinese century, though.

But your the one who brought empires into the discussion. Are you suggesting China will colonize 1/3rd the earths land mass (as the British Empire did)? Or are you suggestiong that increasing Chinese wealth is just inherently a bad thing?

Back