The Lowell Plan

LowellGuy

Reaction score
Check out this video on new development in Lowell from the folks at The Lowell Plan. There are some great aerial shots. Many of the buildings shown are already under construction (and they even left out quite a few buildings). I had not heard anything about the Tanner Street redevelopment (which is an area off of the Lowell connector near Target) until I watched this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TAk6U1uoZg&feature=player_embedded

It should be double tracked , and hopefully a network of a few lines with a mix of modern and old streetcars...

Wow , I wonder what the Trolley system will look like?

What's with all the single track trolley?

It looks like it's going to be some kind of circulator/loop set up, that only operates one way.

I think. Maybe.

Truth is, I don't know what exactly it is that I just watched, but I've got a pretty good guess that's six minutes of my life I just lost to some art major's Post-production Video Effects class final project.

Seriously, not to be a critic for no reason, but that video has that unmistakeable 'show me everything you've learned in this class' stink all over it. If there is a plan, they've completely failed to convey it.

I should know. I had to take Web Design.

I found that plan too (in document form), it's not a circulator, it's planned as a two-branch system, using 9 vehicles. The current state is single track, but there is no way for them to run 10 minute headways on the fully-built line without double tracking. Turning it into a circulator looks impossible, which is good, because circulators are bad transit, and only good for recreational riding.

I suspect they never sent that document to the desk of any real transit planners.

Sorry to bring this thread back from the dead, but what's happening with the Lowell trolley expansion? Has it been shelved or is it slowly moving along?

Another bump for the trolley, really interested to see how they plan on pulling that off.

I'd also like to see a second, walkable CR station at the UMass Lowell end of downtown. The current station has the worst sort of strip mall-by-a-freeway-exit vibe.

I'd also like to see a second, walkable CR station at the UMass Lowell end of downtown. The current station has the worst sort of strip mall-by-a-freeway-exit vibe.

Yeah...it's in an awful area for being in such a dense city. However if the trolley is built, it'll make things better.

Just got this email. Not downtown, but UML has had a big part in this city's resurgence. I have no renders or other information.

Pulichino Tong Business Building Groundbreaking Ceremony 5/16

The University of Massachusetts Lowell will soon have an exceptional new home for business education, research and economic development activities.

Friday, May 16, 2014
10:30 a.m. Groundbreaking
11:30 a.m. Reception

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Corner of University Avenue
and Riverside Street
UMass Lowell, North Campus

Please join UMass Lowell Chancellor Marty Meehan, the Robert J. Manning School of Business, the Division of Capital Asset Management and Maintenance, the Lowell State House delegation and other dignitaries to break ground on the Pulichino Tong Business Building, named in honor of generous benefactors John Pulichino '67 and his wife Joy Tong.

Back