The Mercantile | Mercantile Street | Worcester

cubalibre

Reaction score

“The Mercantile” name is still tentative but construction is progressing at the 500-seat restaurant. Across the street however it’s crickets at the place where the Ruth’s Chris was supposed to open.

7C2AF59B-F385-417D-9B99-9C4C18839133.jpeg
237D2944-19F6-4DD3-A32B-A90B076B7F36.jpeg
94946B75-0562-4548-8E57-FA38922BC5D8.jpeg

That brick actually looks good, in an old worn brick building type of way. The seams dont stick out as bad as most cheap precast panel brick facades do. Also its much better to have this up against that side street vs the end of a parking garage.

If they had done a cornice around the top they'd fool at least some people that it is a new building...

If they had done a cornice around the top they'd fool at least some people that it is a new building...

Looks like its still just timber on the roof edge. no flashing or anything yet. still time to add some cool detail

This came out cool! I kind of wish it was pointing the other way as I expect it's going to get a lot of business from the Centrum DCU Center. Although I get where it's facing the former mall corridor footprint.

As an aside, it took this post to make me realize how awful St. Vincent's is, just a massive sprawling landscraper where going just a few stories up could have allowed the same square footage and usability but let that corner be a destination anchored by the arena in the future. Could have been Worcester's version of Causeway, but alas.

I just hope this place will stay open until 10 pm on weeknights. I got out of an event at the Hanover Theater yesterday at 9:15 pm and wanted to grab a bite to eat - somewhere - and everything downtown is shuttered. Instead I and roughly 2,000 people waited in line to pay our parking tickets and then were stuck for another half an hour leaving that awful parking garage across the street. I would rather have spent that time and my money sitting down for dinner and a drink, but there are currently no options.

Last edited:
I just hope this place will stay open until 10 pm on weeknights. I got out of an event at the Hanover Theater yesterday at 9:15 pm and wanted to grab a bite to eat - somewhere - and everything downtown is shuttered. Instead I and roughly 2,000 people waited in line to pay our parking tickets and then were stuck for another half an hour leaving that awful parking garage across the street. I would rather have spent that time and my money sitting down for dinner and a drink, but there are currently no options.

For sure, need some reasons to keep people downtown after an event

This place is fully furnished and they’re hiring:
27F599C0-53F2-4FA0-B1B3-F115915FF033.jpeg

Meanwhile across the alley at Ruth’s Chris:
61DDB5AA-9D9E-48C6-8D90-1827C7741D1A.jpeg

DA688EF9-E913-4267-8A32-51842AD19EB3.jpeg

Adjacent news across the street, ComputerVault is moving its HQ from Marlboro to the Unum building after that company went fully remote.

I just saw on the news that Worcester was just rated one of the best places to live in the us. Crazy how times have changed. Worcester still very much has that lingering feeling of urban decay, but its much improved. Going to be interesting to see how it changes moving forward.

I just saw on the news that Worcester was just rated one of the best places to live in the us. Crazy how times have changed. Worcester still very much has that lingering feeling of urban decay, but its much improved. Going to be interesting to see how it changes moving forward.

I wholeheartedly agree Worcester is much nicer than even 10 years ago but I'm not sure what these "best places to live" type of lists mean other than cost of living is skyrocketing and people aren't fleeing. Way to go real estate owners, I guess.

I wholeheartedly agree Worcester is much nicer than even 10 years ago but I'm not sure what these "best places to live" type of lists mean other than cost of living is skyrocketing and people aren't fleeing. Way to go real estate owners, I guess.

Agreed. Just to illustrate the ridiculousness, I bought my house two years ago, and according to the website estimates, I can get almost $85k above what I paid if I list it today, and I didn't buy anything high end.

This seems to be getting close to opening. I walked by earlier and televisions were mounted and on but with a ladder or two still in sight.

Active construction inside the Ruth's Chris across the courtyard appears to be underway as well. Saw noises were coming from within and a few hard hat types were scurrying about.

This seems to be getting close to opening. I walked by earlier and televisions were mounted and on but with a ladder or two still in sight.

Active construction inside the Ruth's Chris across the courtyard appears to be underway as well. Saw noises were coming from within and a few hard hat types were scurrying about.
March 28th for mercantile opening

Back