The Northeast Expressway, Revere Beach Connector, and geographically related projects

Somewhere in the Transportation Library (I think that's where it was), I found plans for a highway which would snaked along Rt 1 between Rt 99 and the Lynnfield Tunnel area. From Rt 99 the grade-seperate highway would run north to the west of the Rt 1, then cross over somewhere around the Lynn Fells Pkwy, run east of Rt 1, and then merge back in somewhere at the big curve/Christmas Tree Shop/The Ship *or* run to peel off to I-95 via Goodwins Circle as an alternative.

To be honest, it probably would have been feasible at the time it was being looked into, and I'm surprised it didn't happen.

Will you take me there sometime.. the transportation library that is. I've never been. I'm sure you can show me the highlights (yes I know, off topic)

Looking at the present, I doubt it is possible because of all the development that has happened since. I wouldn't be surprised if plans start coming up soon which include grade-seperating, possibly at interstate standards, and then leaving frontage roads to serve the businesses. For example, a four-land viaduct (two each direction) supported by columns in the median of the frontage roads, with four-lane (two each direction) frontage roads on the surface below. Each street, Essex, Main, Lynn Fells, and Walnut, would intersect the frontage roads with at-grade, signalized intersections. Regularly spaced ramps to/from the viaduct to/from the frontage roads.

And this is how every other road is constructed. I think if Route 1 was planned properly, and not built with the intention of becoming I-95, it would have been built in that manner.

I've always wondered why Route 1 was never built in this manner (okay I know why) or at at a minimum when the expressway was canceled and re-routed via 128, it wasn't rebuilt as what you describe.

This describes GA 141 (aka Peachtree Industrial Blvd) in Norcross GA to a T. It can be see here (via gmaps). Same road. Access roads down the side and turn around's underneath.

But in Route 1's defense.. GA 141, Peachtree Industrial Blvd probably was rebuilt that way in the 1980s when virtually nothing existed out that at that point (so lots of room to expand without disturbing properties)

The Lynn spur was to extend to Salem, because there was/is no way to get to/from Salem and Rte 128 except through Peabody. That proposal was followed by the idea of using a railroad right-of-way for a limited access roadway from North St in Salem, depressed under Peabody Square, out to Route 128 near Lowell St and the North Shore Shopping Center, but that died too.

Hard to guess whether a tunnel under Peabody Square would be an improvement these days...

Lynn and Salem are notably deprived of transportation because plan after plan fell through. Good news is most of the plans were terrible and it is best they fell apart. But like Rep. Smith said in the article there were pieces of the plans that still made sense and probably still do in some way or another.

Will you take me there sometime.. the transportation library that is. I've never been. I'm sure you can show me the highlights (yes I know, off topic)

And this is how every other road is constructed. I think if Route 1 was planned properly, and not built with the intention of becoming I-95, it would have been built in that manner.

I've always wondered why Route 1 was never built in this manner (okay I know why) or at at a minimum when the expressway was canceled and re-routed via 128, it wasn't rebuilt as what you describe.

This describes GA 141 (aka Peachtree Industrial Blvd) in Norcross GA to a T. It can be see here (via gmaps). Same road. Access roads down the side and turn around's underneath.

But in Route 1's defense.. GA 141, Peachtree Industrial Blvd probably was rebuilt that way in the 1980s when virtually nothing existed out that at that point (so lots of room to expand without disturbing properties)

Yes, 141 does look pretty similar to what I imagine will eventually happen. The only difference is, the grade-separated portion would have to be elevated for significant stretches so the frontage roads would be partially under the elevated highway. Otherwise there'd be a lot of eminent domain required.

Also, I believe the transportation library has been packed up and its future is in question. Last I heard anyway. :(

I hope this is on-topic enough. I was reading about how Revere is looking to make some of their streets more pedestrian friendly, and upon looking at a map I couldn't help but notice how the city is basically ringed by car-oriented roads: 1, 1A, 16, and 60 really create big barriers. 1A, 16, and 60 aren't even limited access, but they sure are hostile to anyone not in a car. It looks like 1A and 60 in particular sure did a great job chopping up and disconnecting the street grid in many places too. What a shame.

Back