The Other "P" City

oh ok i was worried there for a second that I was duped into buying a $400 piece of shit. what does dslr stand for? I thought point and shoots were smaller, like my old kodak mini camera that i bought for $90 a year ago.

I categorize point-and-shoot as pretty much anything that's not a DSLR. But I could be wrong on that, although I'm not sure what you'd call the line of cameras like yours that is in between DSLR and P-A-S.

DSLR is the new-age version of SLR, which is Single Lens Reflex

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Single-lens_reflex_camera

DSLR is just DIGITAL Single Lens Reflex.

After looking it up, they call the line of cameras inbetween PAS and SLR "SLR-like" cameras

They look like SLRs and funtion like them, but you cannot remove the base lens, and zooming is sometimes forced automatic

castevens said:
After looking it up, they call the line of cameras inbetween PAS and SLR "SLR-like" cameras

They look like SLRs and funtion like them, but you cannot remove the base lens, and zooming is sometimes forced automatic

you mean as opposed to twisting the lens with your hand? mine is automatic zoom, i was kinda looking for one that i could play with around with the lens on with my own hands, but it doesnt bother me all that much...i think i should be able to do that though if i get an attachable wide angle lens or something, which i plan to do when i can afford it. so can DSLRs still take pics when the long lens is removed?

http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INT...yle_fullfeatured&DCMP=OVERTUREPI_DF&HQS=DSCH2

the above link will take you to my camera....which incidentally just went on sale....30 bucks off :x ....

DSC-H2_R_FLASH.JPG

Patrick said:
you mean as opposed to twisting the lens with your hand?

Yes

And this is what my camera looks like with the lens removed:

(removed image because it was unnecessarily big)

No, you can't take pictures without the lens on.

Patrick: I see your application on the editor site. You have the best percentage I have ever seen a non-existing photographer have on Emporis to try to become an editor (57% approval) but that's not enough to become an editor. Unless you get up to 75% soon (to be perfectly honest, not very likely), you will not be admitted. I, of course, voted yes.

I suggest you try to become a photographer first (If you want me to copy your words from the application and email them to you to re-apply). You will definately get that position. One of the main things hurting you right now is the whiteness in the background. They looooooove deep blue backgrounds (like the construction photo you submitted) and they haaaaaaaate white backgrounds.

Sorry if I come off as being mean, but I'm genuinely just trying to help. We'll see if people turn it around and vote you in. To be absolutely honest, I've never seen an application for editor where the person was not already a photographer, and that person having more than 50% approval.

castevens said:
Patrick: I see your application on the editor site. You have the best percentage I have ever seen a non-existing photographer have on Emporis to try to become an editor (57% approval) but that's not enough to become an editor. Unless you get up to 75% soon (to be perfectly honest, not very likely), you will not be admitted. I, of course, voted yes.

I suggest you try to become a photographer first (If you want me to copy your words from the application and email them to you to re-apply). You will definately get that position. One of the main things hurting you right now is the whiteness in the background. They looooooove deep blue backgrounds (like the construction photo you submitted) and they haaaaaaaate white backgrounds.

Sorry if I come off as being mean, but I'm genuinely just trying to help. We'll see if people turn it around and vote you in. To be absolutely honest, I've never seen an application for editor where the person was not already a photographer, and that person having more than 50% approval.

It is funny you bring this up. I tried applying as a photographer, but then I didn't have enough building pics with my new and improved camera, so I decided last minute not to submit my application. I waited a day or so and then I re-applied, this time as an editor thinking I wouldn't need to submit photographs to be accepted. But I was wrong so rather than wasting my time again I tried to submit what I thought would be "good enough" just to become an editor (which I thought was easier than becoming a photographer)...but then the strangest thing happened. Emporis told me I could use a link to check on the preliminary votes on my application, but when I followed the link the page told me that I had submitted an incomplete application and that I needed to re-apply....so I figured I goofed again and that was that. To even hear you say it is being voted on at all makes me happy and glad that I didn't waste my time.

I guess I will have to re-apply as a photographer after I take some better pics. Right now most of my pics with my new cam are of the city, not individual buildings. Ill have to get to work on that. If you could please copy and paste my words, that would be a help, but if you dont get around to it I'm sure it wont be too big of a loss to me, i could always simply re-write it again, which wouldnt take too too long. pvenne@zoo.uvm.edu and like i said if its a hassle for you dont worry about it, i have no problem re-writing everything..and thanks for your vote!

I don't know why they even allow non-Emporis members to apply to become editors straight out. I've seen many, many qualified people get shot down, and you're one of them. These people probably have a superiority complex and are trying to show (prove) they are "better" than you in their minds. I myself vote for many of the editor applications.

And like I said, you have one of the highest (if not THE highest) percentage of an "outsider" applying to become an editor. Don't be frustrated

try, try, and try again...I guess it would have been easier if I began as a photographer, that is what my next move will be. thanks for your help.

Try and try again!!! You'll definately make photographer, all you need are blue skies!

I ran into an interesting stat on prov the other day: it is the nation's 34th largest metropolitan area. Not bad.

On another, unrelated, but statistical, note, I also found out that Portland, Maine is home to the largest Sudanese community in the country.

Back