The Other "P" City

well, my older shots of buildings are mostly exactly as you described (centered, close ups, and straight up and down) but they were taken with a lower quality camera (3.2 mp as opposed to my current 6 MP). I will send them to you anyhow i guess, and tonight i will be taking night shots, but without a tripod.....well see how they turn out....

might be too dark now anyways..i should stay in but what the heck im headed out now.

11-ish at the latest.

ps some of the portland building shots are terrible! (on emporis i mean)

and that pic you posted above is my background, i stole it from the new development thread where you originally posted it, but it is larger and has 111 huntington ave in it as well...nice work

well I am going to post the results of my photo-taking adventure tonight in about 3 minutes. many of them came out blurry so i will only post the ones which did not and maybe one or two of the ones where i think the blur added some effect. i didnt get to take shots of individual buildings because i was pressed for time and could not go downtown. i will take some for you to have a look at on another occasion. i need to buy a tri-pod quickly before summer passes me by and it is shitty outside again. oh wait it is shitty outside. haha take a look at my shots. they will me in the "metro-scenes" thread...

Yeah, the tripod was one of the best investments for me, because any crappy 2 dollar one-time-use camera can take a good night shot, as long as it stays still. Imagine what a Nikon D70 can do with a tripod.

48c30f69.jpg

85660575.jpg

084509ab.jpg

You can request an application from Emporis whenever you want (Just go to the site of a building that doesnt have a picture and click on "how to become a photgrapher" i think, or something like that). I believe you have 14 days to complete the application

The fact that there are a lot of crappy pictures of Maine in there helps you out, because we're sick of Chicago people applying, there's like 500 photographers in Chicago. We need people in places like Portland.

And if this is the picture that is your background, it's my background too

13d5a9c4.jpg

And back on subject, Providence: There is a skating rink in Downtown Kennedy Plaza which is supposedly 3 times the size of the most famous outdoor skating rink in New York City (Rockefeller Center):

DSC_0911.jpg

castevens said:
And back on subject, Providence: There is a skating rink in Downtown Kennedy Plaza which is supposedly 3 times the size of the most famous outdoor skating rink in New York City (Rockefeller Center):

DSC_0911.jpg

I highjack threads quite frequently with info about portland, so i pledge not to do that here. however, i have to mention that in the movie "the preacher's wife" the scene in which denzel washington is ice skating is filmed in our downtown-ish park, with a shot where you can see our second tallest in the background. that last pic you posted of providence is spectacular. and those pics you posted of boston are beyond words....they are so crisp and clear i love them. you said you used a nikkon D70 or something? what is that? i just bought a SONY Cyber Shot with 6 megapixels. how does that compare to the cam you used in those boston shots? im still figuring it out. i paid $400 but i saw some that went up past $1,000

I have 2 cameras: A Nikon D70 (semi-professional camera) and a Canon Powershot A95 (point-and-shoot camera, aka small). The Canon is for when I dont want to lug out all the equiptment and everything, I just want to walk around and enjoy myself. The Nikon is for when I actually want to take a good picture.

Most Nikon owners would never have a Canon, and vise versa. They are considered by many to be two of the best makes of cameras. But they are like enemys to each other. It's like owning a Corvette and a Mustang. Although only one of my cameras is professional, so it's like, for me, owning a Corvette and a Ford Focus :)

I will write more (in terms of the comparison to your camera and such) after I get back from work, but I need to leave soon.

For the time being, here's a picture of both of mine:

angledview.jpg

nikon_d70.jpg

CAN_A95.jpg

000029246.jpg

And funny you should compliment the clarity and sharpness, as most of my original file sizes are 8-12 megabytes, and those that you see are on photobucket as like 100 kilobyte pictures or something (.1 MB). But thank you![/img]

i just gave away my point and shoot cam to myt girlfriends (whos cam broke) and so now all i have is the lugg-around. i went out to best-buy today to check out tri-pods and i noticed a Nikon d70 and then an even better nikon which went for $1,599.00 pretty insane. i felt like my camera was a piece of shit after i left. i also noticed that sony made a better version of the camera i bought for only $100 more. it had a better and bigger LCD screen and better zoom and 8 megapixels as opposed to 6 megapixels. speaking of, is 6 megapixels decent or is it shitty? i thought my old camera was shitty at 3.2 megapixels, but now even 6 megapixels looks bad in comparison to 8 or more MP. what is the diff between professional, semi-professional, and non professional?

speaking of, is 6 megapixels decent or is it shitty?

OK, here is my thoughts on megapixels. You need at least 3 Megapixels to be able to call what you are holding a "camera." Anything below that sucks. From 3 megapixels to 5 megapixels (As long as all, or at least most, of the pixels are 'effective pixels'), there is a slight improvement, but both a 3 and a 5 will be able to fill up the entire screen of your computer. anything over 5 megapixels (in my opionion, of course), is unnecessary unless you like to print out huge posters or have a big high definition computer moniter (and even then, a 5 megapixel camera will give an image that fills most of the pixels if not all).

Semi-professional, in my definition, is a professional camera that no profession would ever use. Like a low-end professional. One that a real profession photographer would just use as a secondary camera, or to train on things such as aperture, which you just learned about in the General Forum, and such things.

My D70 was pretty damn expensive when I bought it way back when it came out. Keep in mind, you're only buying an instrument that records what the lens sees. I'd rather have a bad camera and a set of insanely good lenses than vice versa. If the "bad" camera can at least capture an image alright, it will capture a damn good image. But if the awesome camera has a bad lens, it is impossible for that camera to capture a good image.

Also, besides lenses, I have invested in a remote control (great for night shots, the little movement caused by me pushing the shutter button can cause blurriness), a flash set, a 1GB CF card, many, many filters... the camera was only the beginning of my purchases.

I'm going to be away for the weekend (just saturday and sunday) at my girlfriend's place. If you want to apply to Emporis today, I can help you out. If not, you can (of course) do it without me, or wait until monday!

castevens said:
My D70 was pretty damn expensive when I bought it way back when it came out. Keep in mind, you're only buying an instrument that records what the lens sees. I'd rather have a bad camera and a set of insanely good lenses than vice versa. If the "bad" camera can at least capture an image alright, it will capture a damn good image. But if the awesome camera has a bad lens, it is impossible for that camera to capture a good image.

Also, besides lenses, I have invested in a remote control (great for night shots, the little movement caused by me pushing the shutter button can cause blurriness), a flash set, a 1GB CF card, many, many filters... the camera was only the beginning of my purchases.

I'm going to be away for the weekend (just saturday and sunday) at my girlfriend's place. If you want to apply to Emporis today, I can help you out. If not, you can (of course) do it without me, or wait until monday!

ah thanks for the info...what is a filter in the sense you used it? shows how much i know about cams. going out right now to purchase a tripod because my night shots were disappointing last night.

i will wait until later in next week, and i will likely ask you for assistance, so i can pick and choose some good shots...thanks for the advice/help.

p.s. did you mention where youre girlfriend went to undergrad? i was just browising stats for SU Law and the average grade point average was 3.3 and the average lsat scroe was 157. this means that since both scores are weighted approximately equally (give or take slightly at some schools) she can afford to do worse than 157 on the lsat because her gpa is significantly above a 3.3, 150 is average, and competitive doesnt start until 160 (for top schools) so she shouldnt worry as long as attending a place like suffolk would be acceptable. its in a good location and it is a brand new tech advanced building. id have her seriously take a look at it, just to get the anxiety out of the way once she knows shes accepted at least somewhere. also, tell her to tour NU law and get to know the admissions staff because they are good at remembering names.

She started her undergrad a UMass Dartmouth and is finishing it up at Northeastern. Upon graduation, she will have only spent 2 years at NU.

Btw, seriously, try that "mouse" shot idea that I listed out step-by-step in the other thread once you get that tripod. Experiment, it'll make you get to know how cameras work

And to answer your filter question:

YOU NEED A U.V. FILTER!!!

I repeat: YOU NEED A U.V. FILTER!!!!!!

The U.V. (ultraviolet) filters do very little-to-nothing in terms of the outcome of the picture. But they are insurance. You see, its a pretty-much clear filter that goes on the outside of your lens, and it's a cheap line of defense for fingers, rocks, smudges, water, and so on. I buy a UV filter, eventually scratch it or something, and then buy a new one. But trust me, I am SMILING when I'm dishing out 20 dollars for a new UV filter, because I could have been easily emptying my pocket for a new LENS had that filter not been there.

I also have a line of polarizing filters, bring out deep blues (i used it in that shot of the Pru), and does cool stuff with the water and reflections.

I have star-filters. These filters are good for long exposures and beam out light in a 4-point, 5-point, 6-point, 8-point, or so on, star. Like so:

35e322dd.jpg

I also have a yellow filter. This applys a yellow tint to everything I take a picture of. It is good for nighttime shots of cityscapes, as it brings out the yellow and makes the dark things lighter. Here are the originals of my night-time B&W shots:

DSC_1131.jpg

85660575.jpg

I also have a set of three close-up filters that allow me to take these pictures:

DSC_1162.jpg

DSC_2145.jpg

wow, looks like i have a lot to learn. just got my tripod today...its crappy. but it will do i suppose. i frequently get rain splettered on my lens (not tons of it, just a streak here and there) does that make me a dumbass...that is, have i already begun to wreck my cam?

^ Ha, I hope not. That happens to me all the time. I think as long as you wipe it carefully with a felt wipe you should be okay.

The footprint of One Ten Prov has been cleared (aka they knocked down a bunch of buildings) and it looks like construction could begin any day.

Hmm, I just went back to see what kind of camera you had so I could suggest remote controls in the other thread, and I didn't realize you had a Sony Cybershot. For some reason I thought you had a SLR camera (Single Lens Reflex, or removable lens).

I'm not sure if lens filters are available for point-and-shoots, or remotes for that matter.

i didnt think i had a point and shoot camera. it is quite large and has a lens that sticks out when i turn it on...and it is capable of attaching a more advanced lens if needed...

Ahh yes, it's halfway in between a point-and-shoot and a DSLR. You can ADD lenses, but you can't remove the base lens?

I had one of those a long time ago, my first digital camera. A Fujifilm Finepix s5000z

GREAT cameras to learn the ways of the DSLRs

Back