The recession is over, let's spend money! Boston Development 2010

Him: C'mon, all the girls are having sex, why not you?
Her: I don't know, do you love me?
Him: Of course I love you.
Her: I don't know.
Him: Hey, if you don't put out, I'll find another girl who will.
Her: Oh, no, don't do that ... can we just do oral?
Him: How about just the tip.
Her: Well, okay.

re: Vegas.

In 2007, Nevada gave "incentives" worth $570 million to 41 businesses.
http://www.expand2nevada.com/development.html

I am both curious and eager to learn of the unique values that Boston offers a business or company that sufficiently offset cost considerations, --values so great that Boston ought not offer incentives to attract or keep businesses.

One cost consideration to many businesses is energy cost:

Another is wages. Massachusetts fights with NJ as to which state has the highest per capita income after CT. So labor is not cheap.

The simple answer is the education of the people that live in Boston and the metro area. A higher percentage of people hold college and advanced (masters for example) than areas such as Phoenix and Las Vegas. Getting people to move or relocate can be a tough thing, see Nissan moving it's NA headquarters from Los Angeles to Nashville, or Gillette trying to get people to move from Boston to Cincinnati.

Bain Capital will move to Hancock Tower

May 11, 2010 09:29 By Casey Ross, Globe Staff

Bain Capital is moving its offices to the John Hancock Tower, taking nearly 210,000 square feet in one of the most significant lease deals of the last several years.

The move brings the Hancock's occupancy back up to 95 percent, eliminating a large chunk of vacant space that had left the signature tower in tough financial shape following a foreclosure last spring.

Bain Capital, among the region's largest private equity firms, signed a 15-year lease to occupy floors 37 through 43 of the 62-story building starting in the fall of 2011, according to Normandy Real Estate Partners and Five Mile Capital Partners, the joint venture that purchased the Hancock at an auction in March 2009. Bain has an option to expand to 270,000 square feet.

The previous owners, Broadway Partners of New York, defaulted on some of its debt after it lost key tenants as the office market started to nose-dive in 2007 and 2008. Normandy and Five Mile bought the building for about $660 million and began efforts to find new tenants for the building. Bain Capital is moving to the Hancock from the office tower at nearby 111 Huntington Ave.

"We are currently investing significant capital resources to renew the building's environment and amenities, which along with our high-quality tenant base firmly establishes the John Hancock Tower as Boston's premier business address," said Jeffrey Gronning, managing principal at Normandy.

Since taking over operations at the building, Normandy has achieved a new environmental certification for the building and won approval to open an 8,000-square-foot cafe-style restaurant in the building.

Bain and Normandy were represented by Cushman & Wakefield in the transaction.

http://www.boston.com/business/ticker/2010/05/bain_capital_wi_1.html?comments=all#readerComm

ant - "Him" is a private company. "Her" is the city of Boston. The "other girls" are other cities offering incentives for the private company to move to their cities.

Also, I was high.

City will develop ?Innovation District?
By D.C. Denison
Globe Staff / May 19, 2010

Boston Mayor Thomas M. Menino told a business audience yesterday that the city intends to develop 1,000 acres on the South Boston Waterfront and the Marine Industrial Park into an ?Innovation District,?? and that the venture capital firm Spencer Trask & Co. will launch a start-up competition in July that will award $25,000 to a business that locates there.

Menino revealed the award during his keynote speech at the Globe?s annual Globe 100 breakfast at the New England XPO for Business conference in the Boston Convention & Exhibition Center.

In addition, Menino said that Spencer Trask would make ?a standing $25,000 award?? to an Innovation District business to help it grow.

The mayor, who was part of a panel discussion on the future of Boston business, also said that he will lead university and hospital presidents and their real estate staffs on a tour of the South Boston Innovation District this summer. During the tour, Menino said he will highlight two specific parcels in the Marine Industrial Park for which requests for proposals will be issued ?real soon.??

http://www.boston.com/business/articles/2010/05/19/city_will_develop_innovation_district/

Whose thousand acres are these? Where are they?

What's an "innovation district"...?

Does Menino realize he doesn't need a passport to get a first-hand look at Kendall?

This has been discussed before, but I can't remember which thread. It's in the Boston Marine Industrial Park in South Boston.

They obviously do. As does New York and just about every other major city in this country. It is a sad reality these days.

It's an interesting dilemma we have. Each city is so afraid of losing out to the next city, we'll give major corporations just about everything they demand. Somebody should write an Atlas Shrugged type book in which the cities, states, and citizens decide to collectively not give in to corporate demands, when every mayor and governor stands up and says "let them go elsewhere," and large throngs of citizens cheer them on. Ayn Rand had it wrong. It's not the masses that need the Fortune 500. It's the Fortune 500 that needs the masses. The only problem is a lack of coordination.

This has been discussed before, but I can't remember which thread. It's in the Boston Marine Industrial Park in South Boston.

I vaguely remember this discussion, but couldn't find it. I've not been to the Industrial Park - who owns that, is it Massport? The city? Is it built up already, or is this reliant on new building?

Menino probably wants to ignore Kendall, because it's in Cambridge. And yeah, I remember this too, Ron.

I'm pretty sure we summed it up as, "this idea is awful."

Can someone please print that article out, with the relevant section highlighted, and present it to the esteemed Mayor?

It's an interesting dilemma we have. Each city is so afraid of losing out to the next city, we'll give major corporations just about everything they demand. Somebody should write an Atlas Shrugged type book in which the cities, states, and citizens decide to collectively not give in to corporate demands, when every mayor and governor stands up and says "let them go elsewhere," and large throngs of citizens cheer them on. Ayn Rand had it wrong. It's not the masses that need the Fortune 500. It's the Fortune 500 that needs the masses. The only problem is a lack of coordination.

Yeah, I think his name was Karl Marx.

As long as Fortune 500 companies keep sponsoring the dogshit that emanates from the telescreens, no one will notice the gaping hole in Downtown (never mind the equally gaping hole where our brains and souls once were).

I don't understand the relevance of that TV show to development in Downtown Crossing (or anywhere else in Boston). Never even heard of it until your post.

It's all about what people value, Ron.

Who cares about the hole, as long as the TiVo records our favorite show!

To put it another way, a disinterested and ill-informed electorate gets the government it deserves. The same is true urban fabric.

setmefree_1_large.gif

Is that show set or filmed in Boston? If not, I doubt anyone here pays much attention to it. (I do remember MTV's The Real World set in Boston many years ago.)

Back